XCR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Before the heavier bullets got a large following and the only real fodder for 5.56 was 55gr or 62gr some folks wildcatted the 6x45mm. It was easy to do I guess, just use a .243 expander to expand the neck and you were off to the races. You still had to keep a light bullet in .243/6mm terms, somewhere in the 75-90gr realm, but it definitely had more thump than the .22 cal slug. Had often thought about it but bulk components for .22 are still cheaper then .243.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Yes but why bother? Fire a 55g .223 through a 20" barrel and you get the velocity high enough to do serious damage.
Tru dat!  I don't want to get hit with a .22 rimfire either but given the choice.....

The choice of cartridge has to be weighed by several factors.  5.56 is always popular just because it is available pretty cheap relatively and if I can go all 1950's Civil Defense matches what's in the good guy's ammo pockets.  How far do you plan to shoot?  Do you plan to have to defeat body armor, soft or hard cover for security details and the like?  Hunters and their game, pelt damage, etc, etc. All sorts of questions to balance out and these are a few.

In the end, I think we all could care less what nifty gizmos and bullets other people choose as long as they are well practiced, know their strengths and weaknesses and are well practiced.  Yeah, I said that twice. ;)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
when you have the time to line up the shot and a little more distance between you, great choice! When I was pushing the M24 for a little while we'd save the head shot for who was buying that night!

ever do any time over in the Stanford training area? We were all over that MOUT village almost every other week. (Or Operations in Built-Up Areas, OBUA, as you blokes called it! ;))

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
FIBUA! That was the other one we always heard! It seemed the British forces weren't as concerned about safety as we were too. Nobody did anything crazy mind you, but we had to do ORM out the butt before anything happened. All the Regt folks would just up and go and get it done. I always liked taking new troops through the model house with all the boobytraps and strongpoint hardening. The other house that was reinforced was our punishment if we screwed up. I do recall seeing some of the Royal Marines training on checkpoints there at STANTA.

Don't remember using the German village I don't think. We borrowed a barracks out at Bodney a few times. Then out at Honnington and another RAF Regt base just down the road, can't remember the name but it had a smaller training area comparitively we used to use alot too. Great training, those guys were first class all the way.

After leaving the UK for a different unit in Georgia, a few friends I was stationed with up there ended up being ambassadors of sorts because we staged and eventually pushed into Iraq together with 2 Sq, RAF Regt. The boss said we "could speak the language" so we always got tasked with coordinating what we were both doing. At least we always got a cup of tea when we went over there!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
...and your ration packs had pre-printed range cards on the box too. "Why didn't we think of that?" was often heard!

Talking about WWII vintage, I used to hate taking an armored HMMWV across that bailey bridge down the way from the skid strip.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Yep, looks like the same Bodney I remember! We had a new Lt. out there once and he thought it was so funny that the small helo landing point was marked by an "H" on the map and there was also an "H" on the ground.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
With Robarm tooling up to do their own barrels I don't reckon a limited run or mini-group buy on any caliber/chambering would be totally unthinkable. It would cost a few extra bucks over their 'issue' offerings, but withotu the need to offer a new bolt or other caliber specific parts, it would work. In the case of the 6.8x45mm, we're talking about not chambering the .270 barrel for 6.8SPC. There you go. Of course, a royalty to the patent owner too. My :2cents: totally, if that's the case the 6x45mm for me makes more sense to take advantage of better velocity; still a bigger bullet, still formed from 5.56. Yep, Gunner69 made me a convert, just have to clear my plate of my current projects first...

Mickey, got the chance to tinker with both, A1 and then the rebuilt A2 models. It was a point of contention that the rebuilt receivers had the "HK" stamp on them. We'd swap guns for exercises out in the field where we wouldn't be seen and get in trouble of course, but I don't recall much difference. This was at STANTA, not in the desert where I recall the major issues came from. Liked the 85 and loved the SUSAT but you can keep the LSW, it was too long for this short guy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.