XCR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If I can get back to topic for a second. (Not to say that the thread has turned south) I was thinking. That the this 6.8x45mm would be great for the application I would use it for, "plinking, self-defense (ones self, or in a case like New Orleans the neighborhood) Yes the .308 Win. or 7.62x39 would be better. But I have a 6 Gal. bucket full of 223 brass. And I would like a more powerful bullet. Maybe the correct term should be "a bigger-better bullet." And I think the 6.8 would be a good choice. For me 300 meters is about all I would need. I admit I am not familiar with the 6.5mm. I also like the idea of using existing mags, stripper clips, & speed loaders (i.e. LULA) If I need more power I will get a rifle in .308 or grab my 30-06 Springfield.

I think the numbers published so far, seem pretty good. But I too would like wait all the technical/load data to come out.

I would think that developing a barrel for this round would not take much time or cost. The biggest thing would be redesigning the chamber. We don't need the military to pick it up in order for it to be a good round. I mean come on, how many calibers are out there that have NOT been picked up by the army.

:2cents:

Oh yeh, MickeyC. I like recon car. I wish I had one around here. But it's that building that takes the cake with me. Also is that an L85? If so, I want one too!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
With Robarm tooling up to do their own barrels I don't reckon a limited run or mini-group buy on any caliber/chambering would be totally unthinkable. It would cost a few extra bucks over their 'issue' offerings, but withotu the need to offer a new bolt or other caliber specific parts, it would work. In the case of the 6.8x45mm, we're talking about not chambering the .270 barrel for 6.8SPC. There you go. Of course, a royalty to the patent owner too. My :2cents: totally, if that's the case the 6x45mm for me makes more sense to take advantage of better velocity; still a bigger bullet, still formed from 5.56. Yep, Gunner69 made me a convert, just have to clear my plate of my current projects first...

Mickey, got the chance to tinker with both, A1 and then the rebuilt A2 models. It was a point of contention that the rebuilt receivers had the "HK" stamp on them. We'd swap guns for exercises out in the field where we wouldn't be seen and get in trouble of course, but I don't recall much difference. This was at STANTA, not in the desert where I recall the major issues came from. Liked the 85 and loved the SUSAT but you can keep the LSW, it was too long for this short guy!
I agree with U. And I think once the SAAMI specs come out. I will inquire about such a barrel. Simply because it is a 5.56mm casing world. Also having something with more punch than the 5.56 and still be in the 5.56 casing (just modified) is just too good to pass up. If U ask me. :2cents:

I copied this photo over from ar15.com. But it is also found in the Defense Review article.

When I look @ this photo I think 2 myself. Which bullet do I want going down range. But I think anything in a 6.x would be better than 5.56. :duh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.