XCR Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
5,071 Posts
...and your ration packs had pre-printed range cards on the box too. "Why didn't we think of that?" was often heard!

Talking about WWII vintage, I used to hate taking an armored HMMWV across that bailey bridge down the way from the skid strip.

· Registered
6,537 Posts
Lots of old shite up there. We even used to have a few Shermans for target practice.

· Registered
6,537 Posts
Here is a picture at Bodney, from a long, long time ago when one of our roles was armored reconnaissance. Old picture pre-digital so bear with me. I'm laughing because my oppo just whacked his head on the barrel and he is trying to look like it didn't hurt.

· Registered
5,071 Posts
Yep, looks like the same Bodney I remember! We had a new Lt. out there once and he thought it was so funny that the small helo landing point was marked by an "H" on the map and there was also an "H" on the ground.

· Registered
6,537 Posts
British Army, when an officer says 'X' marks the spot. He means it, literally.

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If I can get back to topic for a second. (Not to say that the thread has turned south) I was thinking. That the this 6.8x45mm would be great for the application I would use it for, "plinking, self-defense (ones self, or in a case like New Orleans the neighborhood) Yes the .308 Win. or 7.62x39 would be better. But I have a 6 Gal. bucket full of 223 brass. And I would like a more powerful bullet. Maybe the correct term should be "a bigger-better bullet." And I think the 6.8 would be a good choice. For me 300 meters is about all I would need. I admit I am not familiar with the 6.5mm. I also like the idea of using existing mags, stripper clips, & speed loaders (i.e. LULA) If I need more power I will get a rifle in .308 or grab my 30-06 Springfield.

I think the numbers published so far, seem pretty good. But I too would like wait all the technical/load data to come out.

I would think that developing a barrel for this round would not take much time or cost. The biggest thing would be redesigning the chamber. We don't need the military to pick it up in order for it to be a good round. I mean come on, how many calibers are out there that have NOT been picked up by the army.

:2cents:

Oh yeh, MickeyC. I like recon car. I wish I had one around here. But it's that building that takes the cake with me. Also is that an L85? If so, I want one too!

· Registered
6,537 Posts
Yep, L85A1, and contrary to opinion mine never jammed or failed me. Had to baby it a little. L85 was a POS.

On topic, the 6.8x45 has potential and the idea of being able to use everything and only needing a new barrel is kind of nice. It would certaintly ease logistics. Training becomes a non-issue etc... for us, the potential to reform 5.56 brass into 6.8x45 is nice as like you I have around 5,000 cases sitting around. Admittedly most have 77g MatchKings fitted but what the heck. If it goes anywhere and Alex doesn't support it I'm sure one of the AR crowd will. I've just built a nice little upper with an Adams Arms piston system to mess around with and I'm liking the range of options I have on the AR platform.

For me the exciting caliber is Grendel becasue it offers everything I want out of a medium caliber. Compactness, punch and long range knockdown. Have an 18" barrel, folding stock and that would be a great all around rifle.

Most of the time however I find that 5.56 and 7.62x51 are good enough.

· Registered
5,071 Posts
With Robarm tooling up to do their own barrels I don't reckon a limited run or mini-group buy on any caliber/chambering would be totally unthinkable. It would cost a few extra bucks over their 'issue' offerings, but withotu the need to offer a new bolt or other caliber specific parts, it would work. In the case of the 6.8x45mm, we're talking about not chambering the .270 barrel for 6.8SPC. There you go. Of course, a royalty to the patent owner too. My :2cents: totally, if that's the case the 6x45mm for me makes more sense to take advantage of better velocity; still a bigger bullet, still formed from 5.56. Yep, Gunner69 made me a convert, just have to clear my plate of my current projects first...

Mickey, got the chance to tinker with both, A1 and then the rebuilt A2 models. It was a point of contention that the rebuilt receivers had the "HK" stamp on them. We'd swap guns for exercises out in the field where we wouldn't be seen and get in trouble of course, but I don't recall much difference. This was at STANTA, not in the desert where I recall the major issues came from. Liked the 85 and loved the SUSAT but you can keep the LSW, it was too long for this short guy!

· Registered
6,537 Posts
Agreed. My unit didn't bother too much with the LSW. We carried the GPMG instead. It's heavier but loaded with APIT and API it carries a heck of a punch. We used to link at 1:3 instead of 1:5. Makes the bad guys think you're shotting more lead. Also sticking red tracer tips in makes them pause, thinking its blue on blue.

We once held back what turned out to be a batallion strength force with 12 men. 6 carrying a GPMG and the other six with a mix of L85A1s, L96A1s, 2" mortars and LAW 80s.

I don't know why folks got so pissed about HK. royal Ordinance baught them to bring in their expertise. The A2 is a nice reliable weapon now and with the 20" barrel and short length you combine a sub-machne gun with a full power rifle and everything in between.

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
With Robarm tooling up to do their own barrels I don't reckon a limited run or mini-group buy on any caliber/chambering would be totally unthinkable. It would cost a few extra bucks over their 'issue' offerings, but withotu the need to offer a new bolt or other caliber specific parts, it would work. In the case of the 6.8x45mm, we're talking about not chambering the .270 barrel for 6.8SPC. There you go. Of course, a royalty to the patent owner too. My :2cents: totally, if that's the case the 6x45mm for me makes more sense to take advantage of better velocity; still a bigger bullet, still formed from 5.56. Yep, Gunner69 made me a convert, just have to clear my plate of my current projects first...

Mickey, got the chance to tinker with both, A1 and then the rebuilt A2 models. It was a point of contention that the rebuilt receivers had the "HK" stamp on them. We'd swap guns for exercises out in the field where we wouldn't be seen and get in trouble of course, but I don't recall much difference. This was at STANTA, not in the desert where I recall the major issues came from. Liked the 85 and loved the SUSAT but you can keep the LSW, it was too long for this short guy!
I agree with U. And I think once the SAAMI specs come out. I will inquire about such a barrel. Simply because it is a 5.56mm casing world. Also having something with more punch than the 5.56 and still be in the 5.56 casing (just modified) is just too good to pass up. If U ask me. :2cents:

I copied this photo over from ar15.com. But it is also found in the Defense Review article.

When I look @ this photo I think 2 myself. Which bullet do I want going down range. But I think anything in a 6.x would be better than 5.56. :duh:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.