XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the oportunity to buy a 10.5 inch RRA AR15 for 1499. What do you guys think? Are they a pretty good brand?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I dont have one nor have I shot one before but everything I have read said they are good I dont know about the price though

·
Registered
431 Posts
LMT complete lower $330.00
LMT 10.5 upper $485.00
SBR tax $200.00
--------
LMT from what I've read as far as ARs go are second only to Colt.
People at M4 carbine.net don't like Bush Master... LMTs are built to military specifications, not personally experience just what I've read, but sounds like a terrable deal to me...

·
Registered
34 Posts
HI
I HAVE TWO ROCK RIVER AR'S AND (I) FEEL THEY ARE SECOND TO NONE..
ONE HAS SEVERAL THOUSAND ROUNDS THRU IT WITH NO HICCUPS AND THE OTHER IS NEVER BEEN FIRED AND IS A SAFE QUEEN. JUST MY OPINION!!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LMT complete lower 0.00
LMT 10.5 upper 5.00
SBR tax 0.00
--------
People at M4 carbine.net don't like Bush Master... LMTs are built to military specifications, not personally experience just what I've read, but sounds like a terrable deal to me...
You have to remember I am from Canada. I can't get 10.5" LMT's no more or RRA's. This is the last one available for sale in Canada thanks to the US state departments new stupid export rules on guns. If I bought it I could probably sell it for 2500 the next week.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I thought that price was way out of line also until you pointed out the price difference between the US and Canada. You know what the going prices are in your neck of the woods better than me. As far as the quality/reliability of RRA, I do own one and can tell you imo personal experience mine is a great gun. Buy with confidence. It will treat you right.( I do not however use my guns in military or covert operations, LE activities, or other such stake my life on a weapon type dealings. :ninja: In other words it is my opinion that they are good rifles based on my limited personel experience and what I have read on the internet) :2cents:

·
Registered
206 Posts
LMT complete lower 0.00
LMT 10.5 upper 5.00
SBR tax 0.00
--------
Rain Away please let me know where I can get the LMT uppers and lowers for that price. I've been wanting to purchase one for awhile and those are great prices!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I will just buy it if it is still available in the morning when I get home from night shift

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You'll be paying a bit more than $1015 for an LMT in the US. Just to get a functioning rifle you'd need the parts listed prior, plus:

-BCG $140
-charging handle $25-90
-some type of rear sight $140
-some type of handguards $35-infinity

As far as an SBR AR goes, $1499 is pretty damn good for any sort of complete rifle, even here. If its the last one available in the country, its an absolute no brainer; what are you waiting for?

RRA in general; they aren't up to the milspec standards of LMT, but they aren't bad rifles either, and if you just replace the RRA BCG with an LMT from day one, which is a pretty cheap proposition, you will have fixed 75% of the RRA shortcomings in one shot. I would think. That would be true on a 16" rifle, at least. I'd also change out the buffer for an H2.

10.5" AR uppers in general are.. eh... "high strung" and have a reputation for being finickey and needing to be built just right to run correctly. My 10.5" LMT has never had a problem, but I have no experience and have never really heard anything at all, good or bad, about a 10.5" RRA. Actually I didn't even know they made one. The LMT version has the gas port expanded just a hair over that in a 14.5 or 16" barrel.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
BTW, the LMT 10.5" upper is purchased by the military for use on the MK18 SBR, so if you do get the RRA and start making any changes, find out how LMT does it, and do it that way.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
$485 is the standard price you can find anywhere, but, that does not include the BCG, charging handle, or handguards, or any rear sight.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah I know, you said it in an above post I was going to edit mine to say that but you put your post down before I remembered, thanks...

Since we are talking about ARs any one have any experience with Anvil Arms http://www.anvilarms.com/ their to spec and have a life time guarantee...

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Alternatively build oine youself from parts. That way you can choose the best of everything....and get an Adams Arms piston kit.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have both RRA (Entry Tactical) and LMT (10.5" SBR) and have never had a problem with either one...

I do however, prefer the trigger on the RRA - but plan on sending both to Bill Springfield at some point in the future for some of his magic.

My next purchase from Aussie is gonna be an LMT piston upper (SBR of course!)

Good luck regardless of which way you go!

·
Registered
448 Posts
If it is the last one get it now.

We forget that you are up there.
Remember the US AWB '94? Everything doubled to quadrupled in price immediately right after.

As far as quality goes between the AR's, you generally get what you pay for except for Colt and HK. Those two you are paying for a name.

For most manufacturers, whose ever name are on the lowers and uppers aren't the issue anymore. Most of them are pretty on par and quality are nothing more than a hair difference. RRA are OK and I don't see them as the best or sub par either way compared to the others. Of course with Colt and other contract makes you most likely will be getting the latest as milspects go. Or their milspec rejects.

It now comes down to the quality of BCG and barrels which both are easlily replaceable. Get the latest milspec period. Since you are going SBR and them having higher chamber pressures. That is why you'd want to avoid "antique" AR/M16 parts, specifically bolts. This is not to say you will experience any catastrophic KB's but bolt failure is greatly increased if you don't get ones designed for heavy duty use such as the MPC or C marked ones, or the enhanced LMT bolts. Don't forget about gas keys coming loose, cam pins and extractors. They too take a hard beating in SBR's.

Now we are finally charting in to some good stuff with the AR's when it comes to free floating rails and VIS uppers.

Can you still get uppers and barrels in CND? If you can then get it and deal with the shnazy parts later.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Smitty: RRA's are very good. They have a Gov contract (I think it's to the FBI but I can't remember). I also think that they are Mil-Specs.

RainAway: I had checked out an Anvil-Arms at a local show. It looked real nice. I think they're out of Tampa, FL. I liked that all their rifles have M-4 feedramps. That's really only necessary for full-autos, but it's always a good feature. My newest AR build has that.

There are 4 major foundries (and a few secondary ones) that make the lower/upper receivers for MOST of the "manufacturers" out there. This info is on ARFcom, but you have to search & dig around. The brand companies just stamp their logo on the forgings, and assemble an AR. Each foundry has slightly different machining specs & techniques. I've gone to gunshows and compared the different brands that I know are from the same foundry and I can see the same little tale-tale machining. One of them matches Colts specs perfectly and Colt has even bought from them in the past (I guess, when they had to ramp-up production or for a limited production model). It only makes sense to do this. Utilize someones elses resourses instead of doing your own R&D.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Standard RRA rifles are not milspec; there are a number of differences last I checked.

They did have a well advertized contract to provide some rifles to the DEA a while back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts