XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curios how big the company is, and what direction its heading? Seems everyone that tries your products loves em, what kind of growth do you see in the near and fare future?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Piusmilitis , Welcome to the Empire ! Dutiful Militarys ? oh well cool name. It can also mean ,gracious ,compassionate ,respectful .
But not when attached to militis.
Que est vada fur placrium !

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'll take a stab at this. It has been asked before but don't expect RA to chime in.

They are not large just like that vast majority of companies in this industry. Probably no more than a dozen employees. What you have to keep in mind is that sub contracting plays a large part.

How are they doing? In my opinion they are moving in the right direction. Alex is focusing on projects and internal stuff. Terra is taking care of the customers. I'd like to see some things be delivered this summer, but keeping the quality up is job one, so if anything is not right, they are going to let the schedule slip.

:2cents:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Truth be told ,Alex doesn't fib about the size of his company ,i have been to some company's that give the illusion of being big ,when in fact they are no bigger ,or smaller than Robarms.
Unless you take in S&W ,Bush Master ,Rock River . They may have a big Daddy in Europe, but that is about it ,here in the US they may have less than 20 people working there as far as the 223 rifles are concerned. I compare RA to LRB in long Island NY ,People working there butts off ,fitting ,lapping in parts ,Micing parts ,hand made ,no robots or assembly lines there.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Most gun companies are very small.

Yes there are the SIG's, HK's and Colt's of the world, but generally speaking I would say the majority of gun companies have under 20 people on staff.

Some gun makers are very lean, sell about a hundred guns a year and manage to stay in business with this model.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thank you ,Robarms doesn't have a big German name behind him.
He has a little name ,like LRB ,but LRB makes the finest M14 in the world.
And they stand behind it with everything they have.
Same thing with Robarms.
And they may go out one day ,but with them goes American quality.
Sometimes i wish all these little guys would get together , and make one big American company like Colt once was.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Sometimes i wish all these little guys would get together , and make one big American company like Colt once was.
I've always thought that LWRC and Robarm should get married. It would be a solid pairing for both organizations. What would suck is for Robarm to pull a magpul and sell out to some assbackwards outfit like Bushmaster.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Agreed .
But if American arms Manufacturers don't get it together ,it will all be big brother in Belgium.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone know which parts of the XCR are made in house and which are contracted out? How much tooling and manufacturing does RA do themselfs?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Some things like the forged lower and extruded upper surely are contracted out. The tooling is too costly. Probably final milling drilling, tapping etc in house. Any finishing (chrome, anodizing, etc) contracted out. Barrels are turned in house from blanks now days. Some parts are off the shelf, so you know they just order those (grips, screws, pins, flash hider, mag, etc) Springs? contracted out. Not sure about the bolt and carrier... I'd say in house. Stock parts... in house. How am I doing?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Some things like the forged lower and extruded upper surely are contracted out. The tooling is too costly. Probably final milling drilling, tapping etc in house. Any finishing (chrome, anodizing, etc) contracted out. Barrels are turned in house from blanks now days. Some parts are off the shelf, so you know they just order those (grips, screws, pins, flash hider, mag, etc) Springs? contracted out. Not sure about the bolt and carrier... I'd say in house. Stock parts... in house. How am I doing?
Gun companies tend to keep info like this close to their chest. Doesnt matter if it is Robarms, LWRC or Colt. It's also meaningless to some degree. Made inhouse, or contracted, the QC and build standards are identical for any company worth anything.

For example, plenty of DPMS uppers contain forge marks that are also on Colt, but not by any means would I say they are the same.

Alex seems pretty picky, back when he posted, he would talk about rejecting parts that werent up to spec

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So really they do mostly the design, assembling and testing and most actual manufacturing is done by third party contracting. Interesting, I honestly had no clue. Always just assumed all gun companies where like the big guys just, well, not as big, with a big old tool shop with all the fixings that just spit out gun parts as fats as the engineers could hand the drawings off to the machinist. But unless your making like, thousands a year, that's not a very practical business set up huh?

So how big would a gun company have to grow to produce most of its own parts. Are we talking like its impossible without a serious government contract?

Just how big is the AR market in the US anyway? Anyone know how many NEW ARs and the like are produced and sold in the US in say a year...? 100s? 100s? 10,000s? I don't think I'd even be able to guess.

Gun companies tend to keep info like this close to their chest. Doesnt matter if it is Robarms, LWRC or Colt. It's also meaningless to some degree. Made inhouse, or contracted, the QC and build standards are identical for any company worth anything.

For example, plenty of DPMS uppers contain forge marks that are also on Colt, but not by any means would I say they are the same.

Alex seems pretty picky, back when he posted, he would talk about rejecting parts that werent up to spec
Oh, heh, that kinda makes sense doesn't it? :duh:

·
Registered
923 Posts
My uneducated guess would be atleast 250,000 ARs a year

·
Registered
512 Posts
i think it is more than you think ,that is in house.
Sharps Rifles are not all in house i don't care what you hear.
Receivers come in the cast from Italy ,RAW ,they are then milled and case harded and and finished in house .
Colts 4th Generation SAA ,is Uberte ,same thing ,if you hear different believe what you want for 1500 more.
No doubt the XCR is cast someplace else ,so are Cannon tubes from the leading manufacturers ,Cannon LTD ,or South bend.
But a casting company isn't going to mill ,bore ,Tap ,or finish your product for you.
Glock doesn't do the injection molding on their receivers , Braun does.
FNH doest do the molding for the High power , Arms sport does.
The same with the trigger parts ,the end receiver does the finishing according to spec.
Hern Iron works is a major casting company ,and they offer their own Barrels ,but they are in the rough ,and not usable without some refinements.
The only American Company doing it all from scratch is LRB ,they are the only ones still making their own receivers.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
It just doesnt make sense for any gun company to do it all in house anymore. Consider someone like CMT who forges for nearly everyone. They do it well, do it fast, and do it cheap. It would be insane for any new AR15 company to jump into the game and try and compete with that. The capex would be surreal.

Consider it this way, Robarm doesnt pay for the forging equipment. If they did, XCR's would be even more expensive to offset the equipment cost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
"Piusmilitis , Welcome to the Empire ! Dutiful Militarys ? oh well cool name. It can also mean ,gracious ,compassionate ,respectful .
But not when attached to militis.
Que est vada fur placrium !"

Right on guys! Only Latin I can remember is: "Sempre ubi sub ubi" Which I think means "Always wear under wear" A round of applause for private school education!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts

correction. We make the lowers. And the uppers. and all the big stuff, including the bolts + carriers. Little springs and screws we get elsewhere... but all the major components are made by us. :)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
How many RobArm employees now?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only American Company doing it all from scratch is LRB ,they are the only ones still making their own receivers.
And I believe Kimber.

Go figure.

Fred

Semper Fi

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." - Theodore Roosevelt

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
STAG Arms

1 - 20 of 31 Posts