XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully my rifle is shipping out today, was wondering if anyone has had luck with the 55gr privi partisan. Seen that a couple ppl have posted mixed result with some of the other weights but I'm running outa options for ammo. Found privi for 389 per 1k rounds.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
If it is their 'M193' loading make sure it is a lot number after '06' because the older stuff was a little light like Wolf. The newer ammo is great, no worries, high pressure for break-in too. I've never had much trouble with any Prvi ammo, it has all worked fine for me. Ammo can be finicky from rifle to rifle so you'll have to get hold of some and try it out to know for sure. If it's not totally reliable, well, you should be practicing your immediate actions anyway!

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I got some 07 headstamp stuff, goes bang everytime in every gun that I own, also it chrono's pretty dam good. 3050 fps out of a 14.5" barreled AR.

Prvi M193 55gr FMJ, 2007 Headstamp
Mean Average: 3041 (20 shots)
High: 3063
Low: 3012
Standard Deviation: 16.19
20-shot-group mean diameter: 2.5"

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
3050? That's definitely 5.56, not .223.
no doubt, 5.56 are loaded to higher pressures and hotter. I will give you a clue, "M193" should give you an idea that is is 5.56 NATO round. So for 20" Barrel you are looking at 3200+ FPS

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, looks like I'll pick up a case or 2. Very excited about my XCR and looks like they have a great fan base. Looking forward to both.

Thanks again,
Take it easy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used it for breakin on my 5.56 XCR. Runs well, never failed to feed, extract, or go bang. Good consistency at short range (I have not had a chance to shoot it past 150yrds). I'm still shooting it every time/place I can recover the brass.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got 1000rds of PPU 5.56 55gr FMJ delivered today. The UPS guy set it outside in the pouring rain. He put it in a plastic bag but the top was open so that just became a reservior for the water. I got it inside and the box was soaked clear through. Then I open it up and pretty as can be its all sealed in 200rd vinyl battle packs. Whew!! Love those battle packs!

BTW the lot number says 0808-03. What year does this signify, 2008 or 2003? They advertised this as "current production".

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
You got yourself some prime 2008 ammo there buddy!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think that is 8 August of 2008. I shoot a lot of it and like it. They also make a 62gr 5.56 SP that is great. ;D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks guys, thats a relief to know. This is what I will be breaking in my XCR with hopefully in the next week or two so I wanted some good stuff.

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi guys , i just ordered an XCR 5.56 on 2/16/09 :D. would this lot be good for break in ? Prvi Partizan 55gr. M-193 FMJ Ammo Lot PPU 0705-03. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
kay thanks guys and gals , is there some sort of formula to determine what ammo type would require an increase or decrease on the gas settings :O thx again :D

G

·
kay thanks guys and gals , is there some sort of formula to determine what ammo type would require an increase or decrease on the gas settings :O thx again :D
turn you gas down until the gun starts to act funny, then go back up 1 notch. Anytime the gun doesnt want to feed or extract, then bump the gas up 1 notch and try again. repeat until it runs reliably or you can otherwise identify the problem.

when it doubt add lube too. (dont lube the gas system)

·
Registered
89 Posts
thanks jack-o that makes sense :)

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
You can use the ejection distance as a gauge too.For instance,if your slinging brass 25 feet you need to turn the gas down because your using higher pressure ammo.I would say ideal ejection distance is roughly somewhere between 8-12 feet.If however your short cycling,failures to eject etc,turn up the gas.The idea is to only use as much pressure as needed to operate the action,and to keep the rifle from beating itself to death,and causing premature wear of the recoil buffer.Generally higher velocity stuff is higher pressure.So most of the Russian stuff,Wolf,Brown Bear,Silver Bear,Barnaul,etc is lower pressure and more inconsistent,therefore requires more gas induced into the system to cycle properly.Most if not all 5.56 NATO ammo is hot and should require a lower setting.Most commercial ammo should be in between but tends to run hotter than the Russian stuff.Hope that helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
thank you dont tread on me , that makes perfect sense :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts