XCR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gen 1 (0?) XCR. Last week I went ont eh Rob Arms website and ordered a few parts.

I want to make my XCR more ambi so and ambi mag catch and safety/selector.

I received an email saying someone would call me for payment. As of today, no call yet.

Do they make the parts as they are ordered like the rifles?

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Could be a long wait....no telling. Might ship out in days....might be months. You need to call to find out.....but make sure you find out if the parts are allocated to new builds and if they take priority as complete rifles versus parts only orders....that bit me on my last order which took about 8-9 months to come in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes!

That's like waiting for a Form 1 to return.

I have parts on order from another company and it's taking quite a while. At least I could enter my payment info on their site.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Yikes!

I have parts on order from another company and it's taking quite a while. At least I could enter my payment info on their site.
Like I said, call....you'll get a much better ETA that way.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Check with the dealers to see who has any in. RA usually has things made in batches so you could be waiting a long, long time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yikes!

Joelad.......call me tomorrow AM (208-869-1616)....leave a message so I know you are not "Robo"
I can help with a few items for your 1st gen XCR-L

·
Registered
54 Posts
Delivery time has always been an issue with RA. But, not unique to RA... especially now given current state of firearms industry.
That always bothered me; I'd understand if RA was busy milling receivers and small parts while being bottle necked by barrel availability, but why would things like pins and springs be slow to get? I figured those types of things would be outsourced can could be bought in bulk or ordered seperately with a compatible part. Shouldn't we be able to get compatible springs and pins from whoever supplies them or somewhere else?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
That always bothered me; I'd understand if RA was busy milling receivers and small parts while being bottle necked by barrel availability, but why would things like pins and springs be slow to get? I figured those types of things would be outsourced can could be bought in bulk or ordered seperately with a compatible part. Shouldn't we be able to get compatible springs and pins from whoever supplies them or somewhere else?

RA is a small operation. Keep that in mind, and the financial challenges of running a small business, you'll better understand and appreciate why things are the way they are. Payroll, parts inventory, vendor fees... all competing priorities at any given time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The explanation that all parts are made after the order is received defies some logic.

A big expense in operating a machine in a machine shop is setup. That's the reason that it cost "a million dollars" to make one piece, but pennies per part to make a million of them.
Then it becomes a exercise in determining what quantity to make at a time to get the cost down to an acceptable number, and if you are constantly running out of that item, you increase the number that you make / have made in each batch.
This is probably closer to accurate than making or ordering parts individually.

The two things that are really screwing things up with machine work are the sudden crush of business and the skyrocketing cost of metals.
Manufacturing is opening back up again. Last summer and fall, regular work orders dropped to nothing, because everything shut down, but everyone wanted parts for medical equipment, and every order was an emergency. Over the last several months, manufacturing has been opening back up, and everyone is trying to restock their products and expendables and rebuild their idled equipment. So machine shops are swamped.
Along with that, someone lifted all those tariffs on metals, while there is no way to ship metals from overseas, and while everyone wants that metal to (see above) restock their products and expendables and rebuild their idled equipment. I am being told that metal quotes that used to be 30 days, are more like 7 days or 48 hours, and they increase 20% on each requote.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
The explanation that all parts are made after the order is received defies some logic.

A big expense in operating a machine in a machine shop is setup. That's the reason that it cost "a million dollars" to make one piece, but pennies per part to make a million of them.
Then it becomes a exercise in determining what quantity to make at a time to get the cost down to an acceptable number, and if you are constantly running out of that item, you increase the number that you make / have made in each batch.
This is probably closer to accurate than making or ordering parts individually.

The two things that are really screwing things up with machine work are the sudden crush of business and the skyrocketing cost of metals.
Manufacturing is opening back up again. Last summer and fall, regular work orders dropped to nothing, because everything shut down, but everyone wanted parts for medical equipment, and every order was an emergency. Over the last several months, manufacturing has been opening back up, and everyone is trying to restock their products and expendables and rebuild their idled equipment. So machine shops are swamped.
Along with that, someone lifted all those tariffs on metals, while there is no way to ship metals from overseas, and while everyone wants that metal to (see above) restock their products and expendables and rebuild their idled equipment. I am being told that metal quotes that used to be 30 days, are more like 7 days or 48 hours, and they increase 20% on each requote.
Not all parts are made AFTER the order. Where did you get that idea? They are made in batches...but the lead times for certain things are quite lengthy (and get pushed)....bbls being the biggest hold up from my understanding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts