XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all southpaws. How many of ya'll out there? Any issues with operating this weapon?

G

·
I'm not a lefty, but I do spend a lot of time shooting left handed.

1) thou shalt be ambidextrous in all that thy shoot.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not a lefty, but I do spend a lot of time shooting left handed.

1) thou shalt be ambidextrous in all that thy shoot.
Any operational issues in using the XCR (shooting lefty)? I was gonna get the Stag Arms 2TL but have decided against it. One of the main reasons is replacement parts if there is ever a ban. Figured left handed parts would be few and far between vs right handed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like your #1 rule btw... ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
As a southpaw, I think the ejection is great (forward and slightly to the right), the bolt release the best I've found so far, buy an ambi safety, and I believe there is an ambi mag release in the works. I don't mind that the charging handle on the left side of the receiver, in fact I've grown to like it. Overall I think the XCR is a great choice a lefty.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a southpaw, I think the ejection is great (forward and slightly to the right), the bolt release the best I've found so far, buy an ambi safety, and I believe there is an ambi mag release in the works. I don't mind that the charging handle on the left side of the receiver, in fact I've grown to like it. Overall I think the XCR is a great choice a lefty.
Nice...i like to hear that..when will the ambi mag release be offered? also isn't there a trigger revision in the works (supposed to be done by end of year) think I read it on here?

G

·
I havent found any issues lefty wise.

I have the ambi safety now and that was my biggest improvement, although with a little practice it was a non-issue. frankly I dont operate the safety like some sort of fastidious manic thunder ranch devotee' either tho. It comes off...I shoot...it goes back on when i'm done. thats it. 8)

teh mag release is not an issue either IMO. I retain all my mags when reloading (assuming i dont fumble it and drop them ::) ) so a thumb on the release as i grip the mag and positively pull it from the magwell is actually a big plus retention-wise. (you should be ripping your mags out of the magwell anyway)

Alex made ejection and bolt release a non-issue on the XCR. I'd say it was a fine lefty gun!!

the biggest realization for me when operating ambidextrously, was that i shouldn't try to "mirror" the actions i used with my strong side. Instead, find another way to make the required operation with the other hand that is efficient and fast for you, while still maintaining sound tactical posture.

thats all I know. ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm a lefty. Never any issues with the XCR other than gas in the face with use of a suppressor. So now I have two Stag shorties with piston kits. XCR is still great though. Thinking about buying another.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
so for you lefties (stares at prizm) do you go over the top to manipulate the charging handle when you need to do so?

When I practice off hand drills the mag release and (non-ambi)safety aren't issues, but what's your technique when you need to tap rack bang or lock the bolt open for malf clearance if you don't want to disturb your firing grip?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not a lefty, but what I do is roll the gun to the right and manipulate the CH with the right hand. In doing so, it puts the ejection port down so gravity can aid in ejection or clearing of a stove pipe (although ejection is brisk and probably doesn't need the help and I don't know if I have ever had a stovepipe that wasn't staged).

·
Registered
681 Posts
so for you lefties (stares at prizm) do you go over the top to manipulate the charging handle when you need to do so?

When I practice off hand drills the mag release and (non-ambi)safety aren't issues, but what's your technique when you need to tap rack bang or lock the bolt open for malf clearance if you don't want to disturb your firing grip?
Ha!  Good question.  The last class I took we did malf drills over and over.  I went over the top to rack the gun.  Locking it open wasn't a problem once I got used to it and is not a real problem on the XCR due to the ambi bolt release.  I tried to practice going under when I witnessed a guy in our class with an AK doing it.  This guy did it so smooth and fast it was almost unbelievable.  But over the top while rotating the gun to the right worked best for me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm a lefty and have no issues. Its just what you get used to. Kind on like growing up with an older brother that is a righty. You get his hand me down basball gloves and poof...you learn to throw right handed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a lefty and have no issues. Its just what you get used to. Kind on like growing up with an older brother that is a righty. You get his hand me down basball gloves and poof...you learn to throw right handed.
I know right?
That was sort of the "draw" for me towards the Stag Arms 2TL. I would have probably hated it because eveything was a** backwards... ;D
I am glad I decided not to get it and am going to get the XCR.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Though I've been shooting lefty and operating right handed guns as quickly and efficiently as any right handed person, I've recently decided to switch to lefty AR's. It's taken some training but I'm getting there. Cool thing is I can switch my mag changes at will. Now that I have ambi mag release and bolt releases I'm a little quicker. Plus... and this is the biggie... no more gas from the suppressor in my face. If I have it my way I'm not going back to right handed guns unless I have to or just want to shoot something different. I train with my lefty AR's now. It's not for everyone but as I've said in several recent posts, I love it. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Though I've been shooting lefty and operating right handed guns as quickly and efficiently as any right handed person, I've recently decided to switch to lefty AR's. It's taken some training but I'm getting there. Cool thing is I can switch my mag changes at will. Now that I have ambi mag release and bolt releases I'm a little quicker. Plus... and this is the biggie... no more gas from the suppressor in my face. If I have it my way I'm not going back to right handed guns unless I have to or just want to shoot something different. I train with my lefty AR's now. It's not for everyone but as I've said in several recent posts, I love it. :)
thx for the info...

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I am a lefty. Main difference when shooting an XCR (vs. AR, and assuming both are set up with ambi selector) is the charging handle. I rotate the gun to the right and go over the top.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got mine last week and I havn't shot it yet, but I don't forsee any problems with it at all. It seems pretty lefty friendly to me for the most part.

-K

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got mine last week and I havn't shot it yet, but I don't forsee any problems with it at all. It seems pretty lefty friendly to me for the most part.

-K
noice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts