XCR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I've bought two, and working on a third through Roy at Aussie Arms.
I also have a friend considering one. That makes 3 fore sure maybe 4. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've got one!

I don't think RA is going to say, but we could start guessing. They claim the serial number don't mean much since they may not come out of the factory in order, but I still think you can get a clue from it. My 8/2007 XCR is in the 1900 range. Anyone have a recent production XCR?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Wait for next year's ATF production numbers. that will give us an idea of last year's count.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
the XCRs are in the thousands. :) I feel like we are really growing. We set up at least one new dealer every day! We are growing as a company and expanding throughout the nation. The XCR is going to make its imprint on the world, my friends. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
As far as guns go... how many sold is a lot sold???

·
Registered
347 Posts
As far as guns go... how many sold is a lot sold???
According to a certain member of this board, 12,000 is a good number. Then again that is for a huge, well known company with a vast dealer network, huge advertising budget, full in house production capability, whose significantly lower street priced rifle can trade off the name and rep of a rifle made by another company.

RA does not have any of those advantages and has fewer total employees than other companies have engineers. Fortunately for RA they have a better product. There is not another small company out there who has designed a completely new rifle from scratch that I can think of that is selling as well as RA.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I got mine in Feb 06, ordered in Dec 05. Hopefully sales will continue to be strong so RA can survive after the upcomming AWB. Both the "two faced bitch" and Osama have stated that they will seek to reinstitute it permanently. Probably with even more restrictions than last time.

I'm wondering what a post AWB XCR or XCR-M might look like.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I saw Rock River at 17,500 in that 2006 production report. (remember that includes stripped receivers too) So, I think 12,000 would be huge indeed! I see RRA dealers everywhere and a ton of them are at the gun shows.

I was at "Nations Gun Show" last week and once again, I did not see a single XCR. This is a Walmart sized show with a fair number of black rifles (Actually held in what use to be a Home Depot). For example, one dealer had 30 bushmasters stacked on his tables. Most of these ARs are fairly generic as you would expect. You don't see to many rifles in the class of the XCR (rails, pistons uppers, etc), so a gun show might not be the best measurement.

Other highlights from 2006:

STAG 22,120
KEL TEC 7,542
Armalite 10,758
Olympic 7,334
Barrett 3,606

·
Registered
18 Posts
How about Bushmaster (Windham, ME) with over 57,000? About 230 per day. Now that is a lot of black rifles!

Springfield Armory put out over 13,000 rifles in 2006 too... about 55 per day.

It looks like Rock River Arms has really grown in the last few years:
2006 - 17,554 (about 70 per day)
2005 - 12,817
2004 - 8,742
2003 - 14,690 (I wonder what was going on there, that would be back in the AWB period?)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
At the price, $1500 which is a lot more than an AR, even a match AR, and around the same as a better known SIGARMS or DSA, the XCR will have a tough time getting to those numbers. It's always going to be a niche rifle. For what it is, it's also expensive.

I've waited three years for improvements such as a decent trigger etc.. I'll keep it as a fun toy but most of my firearms money now and until the ban will go on established makers. That's not to say I won't buy an XCR-M, or accesories from RobArm, but I won't wait. When I see somethng I'll buy it and if it's RA then fine, if not, fine too. right now a 556 with the 551 furniture looks good, or the ACR looks nice. SCAR will get the money if it is out by summer.

I reccomend the XCR to friends but they also know that it's a small company and it doesn't react with new products quickly. Customer service was patchy but Terra has vastly improved it. Alex does some good design work but the manufacturing quality seems to have suffered a few bumps.

It's like buying an old Harley or an old English sports car. It works, but has a few niggles and you sometimes need to tinker with it to get it to run just right. It' ain't a Mercedes or an F150 but it's still fun. I like mine and I'm keeping it. A longer forearm upper would be nice, and maybe the XCR-M. I just don't see the point of buying more than one regular XCR-L, too many other good rifles around.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I saw Rock River at 17,500 in that 2006 production report. (remember that includes stripped receivers too) So, I think 12,000 would be huge indeed! I see RRA dealers everywhere and a ton of them are at the gun shows.

I was at "Nations Gun Show" last week and once again, I did not see a single XCR. This is a Walmart sized show with a fair number of black rifles (Actually held in what use to be a Home Depot). For example, one dealer had 30 bushmasters stacked on his tables. Most of these ARs are fairly generic as you would expect. You don't see to many rifles in the class of the XCR (rails, pistons uppers, etc), so a gun show might not be the best measurement.

Other highlights from 2006:

STAG 22,120
KEL TEC 7,542
Armalite 10,758
Olympic 7,334
Barrett 3,606

I am surprised the Armalite number is so low. Is that just AR-15's or is that number for total Armalite rifle sales that includes the AR-10?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Armalite isn;t the same company it was twenty/thirty years ago. It's a much smaller operation now.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Armalite isn;t the same company it was twenty/thirty years ago. It's a much smaller operation now.
I don't know how they were 30 years ago, and really don't know what they are about now either.

To me there sure seems to be a lot of AR-10's out there. For a .308 AR there really isn't much choice. This past year I bought 2 Armalite AR-10's. Hard for me to believe there is just as much keltec sales as there is Armalite rifles (AR-10's and AR-15's).

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
In 1983 Armalite was sold to Elisco Tool Manufacturing Company, of the Philippines. Eagle Arms was formed in 1986 and as the AR patents had expired they stateed making the rifles. In 1994 they were bought by Mark Westrom, who in 1995 purchased the Armalite Trademark.

Armalite today is not the same company it was in the 60's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts