XCR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get the Quietest semi-auto 300 BLK gun and I was wondering how does the Robinson Armament XCR-L Type 2 Gas System compare to other piston guns and DI guns ?

For this comparison, let's say all of the guns have the same 9.5 inch barrel length and they are all shooting sub-sonic ammo with the same 30 caliber Can.

1. Robinson Armament said on their website that their Type 2 Gas System may some advantages when used with a suppressor. What specific advantages are they referring to ?

2. If you were to rank guns from quietest to loudest, where would an XCR-L 300 BLK rank compared to any other guns using the same Can ?

3. Robinson Armament makes them with different barrel lengths of 9.5 inches or 11 or 12 inches so can the human ear tell if a 12 inch barrel is quieter than a 9.5 inch if using the same Can shooting sub-sonic 300 BLK ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
I'm trying to get the Quietest semi-auto 300 BLK gun and I was wondering how does the Robinson Armament XCR-L Type 2 Gas System compare to other piston guns and DI guns ?

For this comparison, let's say all of the guns have the same 9.5 inch barrel length and they are all shooting sub-sonic ammo with the same 30 caliber Can.

1. Robinson Armament said on their website that their Type 2 Gas System may some advantages when used with a suppressor. What specific advantages are they referring to ?

2. If you were to rank guns from quietest to loudest, where would an XCR-L 300 BLK rank compared to any other guns using the same Can ?

3. Robinson Armament makes them with different barrel lengths of 9.5 inches or 11 or 12 inches so can the human ear tell if a 12 inch barrel is quieter than a 9.5 inch if using the same Can shooting sub-sonic 300 BLK ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback
I doubt you'll notice much of a difference frankly. All subsonic 300 BLKs with a decent can are very quiet.

Now ballistically....you might as well be shooting .45ACP out of a LWRC SMG45 or HK UMP45; it's basically the same thing as a 230 gr. sub sonic 300BLK out of an 8" bbl.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The can will have a bigger effect on the ear than the gun in my opinion.

My 9.5 with a SiCo Omega (gen 1) and the gas turned down to the min that reliably cycles is shockingly quiet for a rifle. You can gain a slight decrease if you turn the gas off and use an Energetic Vox with a wipe installed.

Personally, I can’t tell the difference in db’s between a DI gun or Piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Without a side by side for all your configurations, there's no way to know. You're chasing your tail. I'm with TTE, the can is going to be the biggest factor. I didn't notice much difference between the 2 and 3 on a 10" 5.45.

You're also limited to micro upper length with the type 2 and not 100% positive that RA offers the 300 with a type 2. The confgurator doesn't have all their options but the type 2 is noticeably absent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies. The RA website says quote : The Type 2 Gas System has a short piston contained in the Gas Block. ( It is similar to the gas system as found on the M14 Rifle which is a White Gas Cut Off System. Some call this a Short Stroke Piston.) As the piston in the gas block moves, it cuts off additional gas.
Three Questions :
1. Is the RA Type 2 Gas System that is similar to an M14 white gas cut off system any Quieter than other short stroke piston guns like an Hk 416 etc. ?
2. What is White Gas Cut Off ?
3. The RA website shows a quote Standard Short Gas System available in 300 BLK with 9.5 inch and 11 & 12 inch barrels so is that a Type 2 Gas System or a Type 3 ?

Thanks again guys for any helpful replies, I appreciate you sharing any knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The 300blk comes with a type 3 that is most likely hidden under your hand guard. But I think on a micro it may stick out slightly.

Here is the Rob Arms hand book that explains all the differences between generations.

If I recall, the Type 2 was more on the gen 1 M rifles and didn’t last long on the L rifles.

https://robinsonarmament.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/XCR-Manual-2Jan20.pdf

Here are a few photos of mine for reference.

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
The 300blk comes with a type 3 that is most likely hidden under your hand guard. But I think on a micro it may stick out slightly.

Here is the Rob Arms hand book that explains all the differences between generations.

If I recall, the Type 2 was more on the gen 1 M rifles and didn’t last long on the L rifles.

https://robinsonarmament.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/XCR-Manual-2Jan20.pdf

Here are a few photos of mine for reference.

Is that a direct thread can or does it attach to your A2...and if it's the latter....what brand can is it?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thanks guys for all the replies. The RA website says quote : The Type 2 Gas System has a short piston contained in the Gas Block. ( It is similar to the gas system as found on the M14 Rifle which is a White Gas Cut Off System. Some call this a Short Stroke Piston.) As the piston in the gas block moves, it cuts off additional gas.
Three Questions :
1. Is the RA Type 2 Gas System that is similar to an M14 white gas cut off system any Quieter than other short stroke piston guns like an Hk 416 etc. ?

Without a side by side, you're not going to know which is quieter and I'd wager you'd need a meter for you to be able to tell.

2. What is White Gas Cut Off ?

In this setup, when the piston moves it ends up stopping the flow of gas at a certain point instead of venting it to the atmo. Benefits? You'd have to ask someone else.

3. The RA website shows a quote Standard Short Gas System available in 300 BLK with 9.5 inch and 11 & 12 inch barrels so is that a Type 2 Gas System or a Type 3 ?

The stuff on the website is talking about a type 3 that is able to fit inside the upper. The longest gas system for the 300 is the "blackout" length. There's also a "micro" length that uses the same tube/length as the micro gas system and puts the gas block just in front of the rail on a "MICRO" length upper.

Thanks again guys for any helpful replies, I appreciate you sharing any knowledge and experience.
Type 2 started with the M. There were some youtube vids of guys with XCR-Ls in Eastern Europe with the type 2 before they really got out over here. They were offered for a short time as an option, not really an improvement. FWIW the only type 2 I've seen on an L was on GB that I had sold to a guy years earlier that he resold, then the buyer and I ended up getting in contact after he bought it. I bought a type 2 gas system from RA to retrofit some of my guns just to try out. I've still got a couple of type 2 L gas tubes on hand if anyone wants. The type 2 in the L came about the time they started with the type 2(confusing, I know) lowers. Not official generations but I'd say it was more of a late 2, to early 3 time frame.

If you want an XCR-L in 300.... just get the type 3. It's more compatible, flexible and functional than the type 2 is. On the M, I'd go with the type 3 as well if I had the option.

TTE: the type 3 in a micro length will be infront of the handguard on a "MICRO" upper. The "BLACKOUT" length is slightly longer and gives the appropriate spacing on the block and the upper vents to be able to reach the gas adjustment.

ETA: 300 blk Barrel length in different uppers and their...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is that a direct thread can or does it attach to your A2...and if it's the latter....what brand can is it?
It’s a SiCo Omega gen 1 on a Dead Air Keymo mount. I removed the A2 flash hider seen above not long after getting the form 1 SBR paper work approved.

·
Registered
23,091 Posts
It’s a SiCo Omega gen 1 on a Dead Air Keymo mount. I removed the A2 flash hider seen above not long after getting the form 1 SBR paper work approved.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts