XCR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled em off the rifle to remount forward and can't get them back on easily. Whats the trick? Pick up some Magpuls instead?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I think this was discussed before, start with one side, press on. If it wont go on you can try the opposite side. You can always heat them up a little to get them more bendable. Just use a hair blowdryer or something similiar and get them a little warm. They can be difficult but they will go on.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The other post is correct ,but the easyest way is after you start one end ,take a seal pick ,and if you do not have that a thin peice of strong wire ,and bend the end to where about 3/16 is all that is sticking out from a 90 degree L .
As who work it on, if the locking strip that locks into the rail trys to fold in on you ,pull it up a little with the wire or pick to allow it to continue locking in place as you work it down. Do not pull it up to far as this will deform the plastic ,just enough to allow it to ride over the rail crown and into the notch . do not get agitated and press it down to hard if it is folding under ,as this will dimple the locking strip.
Slowly work one side into place ,and as you work down along the guard ,with the pick ,on the other side help it into place.
Remember all you are doing with the pick is helping the locking strip get over the crown on the rail ,after that it will snap back into place.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Cutting Rail Guards:
Some rail guards come cut to length such as Mag pul ,and some others.
If you need them shorter for lights and such you will see that they are segmented.
They recommend you use scissors ,but unless you have scissors from Hell ,this can be sloppy.
Take a cutting board ,and a large wide sharp knife or cleaver and place the rail on the cutting board ,and place the knife in the grove between the segments of the rail cover where you want it shortened.
Make sure all fingers ,and other body parts are clear ,and that you have lined the knife up straight with the groove ,then have your buddy who hast been drinking ,whack the back of the knife gently,with a mallet ,hammer ,and not his hand or head . the segment you dont need will just pop off ,and a smooth factory cut will result.

Step back ,count fingers ,count buddys fingers.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Just pulled em off the rifle to remount forward and can't get them back on easily. Whats the trick? Pick up some Magpuls instead?
Ditch em and get some Magpul XTM Rail Covers.

Check out this pic recently posted on ARF. Very well done...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Those do look pretty nice, I like the black and tan look.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You had to go and show me those huh. Now...........MUST HAVE! Consider the Ergos ditched.
That digi-pattern is cool as hell! Those are two piece halves they used right? Leave it to Magpul to continue to innovate.
Great kit you have there Variable. Question, does the stock lockup nice and tight without that tab at the bottom being engaged?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Variable, How do you like the Eotech "site protectors?" I have been considering buying a couple sets of them. Are they "shoot through?" ???

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Variable, How do you like the Eotech "site protectors?" I have been considering buying a couple sets of them. Are they "shoot through?" ???
Let me clarify, that isnt my gun. That is just a photo I snagged off BARFCOM. I've never used the Eotech lens covers, and dont know anyone that does.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me clarify, that isnt my gun. That is just a photo I snagged off BARFCOM. I've never used the Eotech lens covers, and dont know anyone that does.
Yeah, I was thinking wow you have some good connects what with all that prototype kit on there. Hopefully soon Magpul will have the '08 releases to the dealers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts