XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you "Fix"/Improve the XCR list 2008

For those that missed my 2007 wish list of improvements I would like to see, search for it.

Now, time for the 2008 list. Its very similar to my 2007 list. Please add to the list and let your thoughts be known

And here we go...

1. Cheek height and adjustments are critical for maximum compatibility with AR15 sights and optics. A stock we can adjust for LOP and cheek height is needed. Thankfully this is a work in progress, per Alex. I know Alex tends to be very protective of his designs, but a sneak peek would go a long way toward keeping the base interested and owners excited.

2. Coat the bolt release in polymer, along the same lines as the AR15 sling loop. It's a little noisy

3. Make the barrel retention bolt more flush. Because it protrudes out and you cant mount the VFG closer to the receiver without boring a hole into the top of your thumb.

4. Improve the trigger. (Alex has a match trigger in the works. This will be fixed beware year end...I hope)

5. 1/7 barrel, because there is no reason not to. It will shoot 55gr fine, and it will heavier tactical self defense loads. Since Robarm is turning their own barrels, this should be easy to fix.

6. The XCR should move toward a true mil-spec 1913 rail for the 6 and 12 o’clock rails.

7. T-mark the rail.

Other than that, I think the XCR is solid. I don’t think either than ACR or the SCAR represents a huge leap over the XCR. As of right now, it’s still the best carbine sold. Its far more innovative than any off the rack AR15, 556 or AK47, and the SCAR and ACR are both in limbo.

FN will never accomadate the community like Alex does. Bushmaster cant wipe their ass without getting poop on their hands, so why anyone expects then to be able to actually make a decent Masada/ACR is beyond me.

Plus the XCR is here, right now...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: How would you "Fix"/Improve the XCR list 2008

Oh, I missed one thing.

Offering the XCR in FDE is an absolute must, for no reason other than the competition is shipping in black and FDE (Masada and ACR), matching the in-theater activity of our troops

·
Registered
261 Posts

Just for the record, I agree with number 2 the most. I have tried everything I can and can simply not make the thing get on there right!

G

·

I agree on the 1/7 barrel. they used to offer the 1/8 which is perfect for civilian application, but now thats a special request deal. The marked rails would be cool too, but i just use a white paint pen to mark my rails. retention bolt has never bothered me, but if you need to put your forward grip that far back, why not just grab the mag well?. that nut could be changed out easily tho.

most of your stuff is personal preference or accessory related stuff IMO.

how about a comprimise on the 1913 rails so the top one has it but the sides are like they are now?

If I had one request it would be for a 22lr conversion.

If I could make some changes to the weapon they would be the following:
1-larger ejection port to enable malf clearances and chamber checks more easily. this may in turn require some dirt grooves be milled in too. I need to be able to get a finger in there, or see in really good tho. (i know this is a doosey engineering wise :-\)
2-that bolt release just seems hokey to me. it's not the placement just the execution. It seems to work fine tho.
3-trigger is lame

everything else is fine

·
Registered
207 Posts

I agree with everything, other than I could care less about the rail not being 1913 "mil spec" and t-marks ;D Truthfully, the ONLY "complaint" that I have about the XCR is that the bolt release is too noisy. Since I don't need it to be super quiet, I could care less, but I could see how it would effect some peoples opinions on "rattling".

I will CERTAINLY be buying the new stock when it comes out, but wouldn't pay a dime to upgrade anything else on the rifle (trigger has already been worked). ;D The other stuff should just be gradual improvements, worked in to the rifle, as per your improvement list for the newer models. Well done.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

Every mount that I've tried works great with the existing rail; I'm still trying to figure out why anyone wants to change it. What mount out there works on the milspec rail, and not on the rail with the lightening cuts? Are there any?

T marks would be alright; just a cosmetic thing I guess.

Coating the bolt catch in polymer would be nice. This may be something you can do yourself?

All my ARs are 1/7, so I actually don't mind that the XCR is 1/9. I have found that 1/9 is generally more accurate with mid-weight bullets anyway, so I'm glad to currently have at least one 1/9 rifle. More barrel options would always be a positive though.

SCAR stock is the single biggest thing that I would like to see released right now. If all the proposed aftermarket goodies were released today, the stock is what I would get first.

I think the trigger is adequate; I wouldn't mind something a little lighter though. Whether I care about having a factory upgrade available will probably hinge on whether I like the Springfield job if/when I get that done.

Overall I'm quite happy with the rifle. Mine shipped after the gas block and firing pin upgrades, and overall, those rifles seem to have a better rep than the early ones? About 500+ rounds through mine now, not a whole lot, but I have not had one single malfunction of any kind that I did not induce through running #1 with light loaded ammo. No ejector bolt issues or gas block bolt issues. The gun runs every ammo I've tried on #2, and runs some of my handloads on #1.

·
Registered
467 Posts

#1 with a whole case of bullets is the stock. The XCR needs a SCAR style stock. Desperately. It's the one thing that compromises it's effecient and effective employment.

Under the nice to have heading would be numbered rails. I don't move stuff around on the gun that much, but I'm bad about getting things back where they were to begin with. Numbers would help me.

My SCAR has a 1 in 8 barrel, so I'm not seeing a huge need for 1 in 7, but on the other hand, it'd be nice to have that option. 1 in 9 is marginal for the heavier bullets that seem to be the trend in 5.56mm ammunition.

I think I have more tolerance for heavier triggers than most people here, but I also remember what a revelation the PSG1 trigger group was on my HK. Another thing that would be nice to have--probably more so than options in rifling twist.

Really, the gun is damned good as it is. The only thing I see as being a real issue is the stock. It should be job number one. Everything else is gilding the lilly changes.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts

I suppose that by now everyone knows I think the current trigger is a piece of shit, in execution if not design so I won't go on about it.

I would like to see 1:7 or 1:8 barrels as they do help longer range accuracy with heavy bullets.

One other thing on top of those suggested would be a dust cover for the ejection port. The one on the AR15/M16 works quite well and is a definite benefit when working in dusty conditions.

I'd also like to see the bolt and carrier chrome plated and possibly the receiver also. Not essential but it would make a good gun better.

As for other cosmetic changes, I'm not that bothered as the user can always make those according to preference. I mark the rails according to each device attached rather than each point having it's own number. Also instead of a forward grip I use the magazine well

·
Registered
6,835 Posts

I would agree with most of what all you guys have said. I too mark the rails with a paint pen when it is required so the T marks isn't that big of a deal. I am looking forward to a new stock and a true PDW. I don't have a problem with the bolt release unless you catch me trying to release the bolt on an AR...I now have a tendency to try and use my index finger.

A Dust cover would possibly be a nice addition, if it were executed properly. I think the enlarged ejection port would be real nice.

The barrel retention bolt can be swapped with a hex set screw, you can get them at a specialty bolt store or even home depot.

I am happy with barrel twist for now, I think they have other, bigger fish to fry for the time being. I too would like to see a 22lr conversion sometime down the road.

Overall, I am happy with the gun, it works for me gets the job done.

·
Registered
704 Posts

I don't get the complaints about the bolt release. I have never noticed the noise and it has never been heard by me or a team member on a mission, live or training. I love its location and any time I teach an AR class, it takes me a few reps to remember where it is at.

I think the stock is probably the biggest must have item to make the gun fit more people. I would like a folder that adjusts for LOP and will by the new stock when it comes out. With the fixed tube and a CTR it works very well for me but the folder would be nice for storage.

My next big wish is for a an ambi mag release. We are really pushing getting the tac team proficient in shooting from both shoulders/hands and trying to get our road guys up to speed as well. The more I train with my left hand the more I want as much as possible completely ambidextrous. It's not impossible to do by any means as is from the left side, but would be much faster if it had an ambi release.

Finally keep Terra around as she is a treat to deal with. Release some spy photos when you can so we can see what we have to look forward to and keep us motivated.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Upgraded charging handle/knob. Similar material and shape as a Belgian style FAL. Was comparing my FAL to it since its obviously a take on the "Fusil" setup. Kinda cheesy knob on the XCR.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts

I'd rather see an L1A1 folding handle. Easy to use and less likely to catch on three point slings.

G

·

you will kindly note that three point slings catch on EVERYTHING. this is why most professionals do not use them or reccomend thier use.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
345 Posts

Ambi mag release
22lr conversion
1:7 barrel in fluted medium contour like the ones DSA has on their tactical carbine
Hard chrome the BCG and NP3 the upper receiver and op rod (okay this one is grossly unrealistic)
T-marked upper with no lightening cuts in the rails.
Better stock (noticed I did not say SCAR or ACR style stock as I am not terribly impressed with either)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts

Funny that. The three point sling is standard on a L85 and works really well.

·
Registered
704 Posts

I got a three point sling on all three of my duty guns and they suit me just fine. I find them to be the most versatile for patrol work. I am playing with a single point for purely CQB missions when SWAT is activated.

·
Registered
467 Posts

I had--well, still have--a 3-point sling on my AUG. It's a Giles sling. It's OK. However, it doesn't really do anything the stock AUG 2-point doesn't do, and it does get tangled up in gear. Of course, you can use it as a 2-point, but, well, you see the issue. Why bother?

I don't have a sling for my XCR yet, but it'll be going 2-point when the time comes.

I do see some use for single point slings. They're very handy at the range. If you don't have to move around too much, they're great,

·
Registered
1,475 Posts

I'd rather see an L1A1 folding handle. Easy to use and less likely to catch on three point slings.
Three-point sling? They fell out of flavor with just about everyone years ago.

Read up and ditch that "strangle yourself" sling

http://www.vickerstactical.com/Tips/carbineSlings.htm

Then get yourself on of these...

http://www.vickerstactical.com/SlingPage/CombatSling.htm
I'll second that. The VCAS is where it's at...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts