XCR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this the other day and thought some of you here might want to read it. Sounds like the 7.62x39 is doing great for John.

13 Nov 08

Hunting with the XCR! I just completed a wonderful Hunting Adventure with several colleagues at a Preserve in the Midwest. I used my Micro-Aimpoint-equipped RA/XCR in 7.62X39 and Cor-Bon DPX ammunition, an extremely deadly combination, as it turns out! Others in our party used mostly 308 bolt-guns. One used a compound bow,with astonishing proficiency!

I shot a Dall Sheep and a Fallow Deer with my XCR. A colleague also used my rifle to take down a large, wild pig. I hit the Dall Sheep at seventy-five meters and at a downward angle. He was in profile and was hit on the point of the shoulder, as is my preference. He dropped in his tracks, never taking even one more step! I saw him fall while still looking through my aimpoint. Barnes bullet went through-and-through, blowing out a two-inch exit wound. He weighed one-hundred pounds. My congratulatory guide commented on how rapidly he dropped!
The Fallow Deer was also one-hundred pounds, and I took him out as part of a culling operation, as he had been injured and needed to be "retired." He surprised us by appearing where we weren't expecting him! When I finally got a shot, he was in profile at 125m, and it was overcast and late in the afternoon. Light was fading, and I had to quickly turn down the Aimpoint by one notch, as the dot was too bright. It felt like a good shot, but I saw him step forward and behind a tree after it broke, and I was not at all sure I had made a substantial hit. My worries, as turns out, were unnecessary! He, too, was hit solidly on the point of the shoulder and only took that one step forward before dropping dead. I was thrilled and gratified with the accuracy and usability of my XCR, as well as the profound effectiveness of DPX ammunition!
My colleague then used my XCR to shoot a pig as the animal was crossing the trail twenty meters in front of him. It was a snap-shot! The Aimpoint made it possible for Dan to get on him fast, and the bullet hit low on the chest, shredding the pig's ventricles. It also went through-and-through. The pig ran ten meters and then rolled another ten, but was already DRT when he came to a rest. Having now hunted with both calibers, it is my conclusion that the DPX roundin 7.62X39 is at least as effective as the DPX 6.8mmSPC, probably slightly more! I love hunting with my military rifles, as it gives me an opportunity to actually use them in an active circumstance. It is a recommended activity!

/John

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I will bet the Aussie 6.5x39 will do just as good or better. At the ranges I am shooting the 6.8, in both my XCR & an AR, it has been doing a great job. So many nice choices and so little money. I am still going to buy an "extra" AR lower to use with my various caliber uppers. ;D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts