XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my XCR for a year now, and I have yet to fire it. I am not comfortable with what I am hearing about some of the problems that people have had. I don't mind devalueing a weapon by running it, but I am beginning to feel like I should have picked up something else. I need to hear something good. My warranty has probably expired, and I'm probably screwed if I have problems. ???

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Well now, EVERY product ever produced by man has had its screwups. Go buy 300 (or more) rounds of good quality and shoot your XCR. You bought it to enjoy, so go ahead and enjoy. Most likely all will turn out well. Read the blogs on break-in and lube it good. Nobody wants a "safe queen" why do you? :duh: >:D :2cents:

P.S. With the costs of Ammo going out of site, you better hurry while you can afford it!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about any of the "issues". Most of the fixes are pretty simple if there is a problem and anything bigger RA takes care of quick. As to being out of warranty, from what I have seen, if it is a problem that stems from the building of the gun, RA makes it right. My firing pin broke after a year and it was fixed no questions asked. I stripped out the head of the stock mount bolt and got two no questions asked.Shoot it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm not sure about losing value if you treat it right. I've seen used unfired XCRs go for about the same as ones with 500 rounds through them. The only extra value in an unfired XCR is after you can't get new ones :'( or for your grandchildren. My grandfather's SAA is worth a whole lot less than if it was never fired, but either way I'd won't sell it. I kinda like to think about all the use (Spanish-American War, WWI) that got it's finish down to 35%

Go to the RRA forum on AR15 and you will see just as many issues there with the 40 year proven AR15 design as you do with the XCR.

I'm really happy that RA learns from the feedback. :2cents:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank all of you for your input. One more question; where are the XCR's manufactured? The dealer that I picked mine up from had told me that they were now being made overseas. This differs from what I had previously understood. Someone please give me the complete dope on the XCR.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
the XCR is built here in Salt Lake city. There is only one mfg. plant, and with the exception of a few items that are also made RIGHT HERE IN THE USA, we make our own parts. Shoot your rifle. If anything happens to it, contact me, and we will get it fixed. If it shoots fine, no harm no foul. For the several thousand XCRs out there, there aren't that many with malfunctions.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow, one year without firing it?. You must have some extreme self-discipline. I've called in sick to work when I've bought a new gun just to shoot it. The joy of shooting the XCR has outweighed any issues I've had with it. Go shoot that thing.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Thank all of you for your input. One more question; where are the XCR's manufactured? The dealer that I picked mine up from had told me that they were now being made overseas. This differs from what I had previously understood. Someone please give me the complete dope on the XCR.
You're dealer is thinking the VEPR, which was imported. The XCR is American made.

Also, why do you buy firearms? How much time do you spend shooting and training in general?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Go shoot it and have some fun. Every rifle has teething trouble and if you are worried, call Terra and buy some spares. Read the forum and check the things you need to and go shoot the crap out of it.

Sure, it ain't perfect but then no rifle is. What it is however, is a good platform to shoot and if you wish, to play with. It is gradually being improved and there are some planned developments which will hopefully make it better, otherwise Bill Springfield and some others on the forum do good work modifying the rifle. It is solid and reliable and responds reasonably well to tuning.

Personally I am hoping to be able to get a Kreiger blank turned into a nice 18" 1:7 twist barrel so I can go play in 3 Gun. Play with the trigger some more as I suspect the factory upgrade isn't goint to make it in my lifetime. Then I'll compare it to the AR I use currently for matches.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your input. I don't know what the dealer's issue is, but I will not let it be mine any longer.
As for holding back on shooting... I usually shoot pistols now due to the new development, (commercial and residential) within earshot of the family farm that I have been shooting at for years. The only time that I go up to high-powered rifle is when I am hunting. I need to get to a range, but I stay pretty busy.
Thanks again.

G

·
You should sell your rifle.

This gun is not meant for you, you will not like it.

I would say that a 10-15% loss would be a reasonable amount for re-sale on this gun with it's poor history and problems. you will never be able to get your money back out of it so it's best to sell it now at a small loss before the Masada comes out and kills the market for the XCR.

If you have had that many problems with the gun sitting in the safe, then you can only be dissappointed if you go out and shoot it.

save yourself the heartache now, and just get rid of the damn thing. you'll be happier and wiser for it. :2cents:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You sound like a buyer. It is too bad that I stick to my word. I will be shooting the pi$$ out of it the first chance that I get.
Variablebinary : Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you train, (public service, military or other) then you do know that little time is spent on the range in comparison to everything else. I have paid my dues. I continue to pay my dues. I have a life also.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Scud, this is a great rifle. It is so much fun to shoot (and moreso after the Bill Springfield trigger job). And the customer service is top notch. Shoot and enjoy.
I second this opinion. I love my XCR and it is one of the most accurate and fun to shoot rifles in my stable of guns. Terra is absolutely fantastic when it comes to customer service. Just look at some of the responses here on the forum! She helped me with my M96 and she is one of the reasons I got an XCR. I knew if anything went wrong (which it hasn't), I could depend on her to help ASAP.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
You sound like a buyer. It is too bad that I stick to my word. I will be shooting the pi$$ out of it the first chance that I get.
Variablebinary : Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you train, (public service, military or other) then you do know that little time is spent on the range in comparison to everything else. I have paid my dues. I continue to pay my dues. I have a life also.
The value of any modern firearm is in the shooting, no in the reselling. A gun not never gets fired is by default a useless firearm of dubious reliability, durability and accuracy.

After some shooting, please return and see if you concerns are valid, or unfounded. It's the only way you'll know...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is so true. Over some time of using and collecting "firearms" I have found that often one will have a bad experience. Perhaps I have become prejudiced from dealing with some of the more disingenuine persons who make up a fair portion of the commercial weapons industry, (my prior posts will give evidence to that). I sit and watch, and test the waters. It appears that I have made a good buy.
Thx. ;)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Agreed. I don't believe in safe queens. I have a nice collection of guns and I try to get to the range at least once a month. I rotate through each one. My wife calls them my harem. Gets some friends and go to the range. It is a hell of a lot of fun and very stress relieving. I actually get some folks from work and we go on Fridays after work. A lot of the them don't have guns but they want to actually shoot a piece of history like my M1 Garand or Tommy gun rather than pretend to shoot them in some video game. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Don't feel bad. I have an XCR that sits unfired for almost a year now. I also have spares for almost all of my primary guns that are unfired. Sometimes I feel paranoid and foolish for having that much money sunk into stuff I don't shoot but then I remember that one day I will hopefully give them to my children so I stop feeling bad.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow, one year without firing it?. You must have some extreme self-discipline. I've called in sick to work when I've bought a new gun just to shoot it. The joy of shooting the XCR has outweighed any issues I've had with it. Go shoot that thing.
Man I've done the same thing ie ditching work etc. And many times. Ah the union days.
Yeah I collect them but I obtain firearms primarily to shoot. I mean how many things in life are this rewarding from a satisfaction standpoint?
Not many I tell ya. I've 30 pieces in the stable thus far and all have been fired multiple times by me at the very least. I've got my favs to be sure but I marvel at the art of the mechanism that is present in all of them.
As concerns the XCR, blast away man. I'm now at 700+ rounds of military ball through it and all with not a single issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts