XCR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I know this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it.

Heavy or light barrel. WHat are most of you all running.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
light

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Light. No real benefit that has been proven going with the heavy, though I think it looks a bit better.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It seems that the 'best' reason to go with a heavy is that you get a consistent barrel profile if you want to cut it down at a later date. Otherwise, probably stick with the light. (for disclosure, I've got a heavy)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fluted heavy, sounds spensive? cost?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also, what is the weight difference between the heavy and light?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'd imagine the difference to be minimal on paper, the bigger issue, in my mind anyway, is the shift in balance over the two. I know of only two XCR's around these parts and both are light barrels so never having handled the heavy this is all purely conjecture on my part at this point.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I bought mine with the light; don't regret it.

If they ever come out with a 1:7 5.56 barrel, I will probably buy one in heavy profile; mostly in case I ever decide to SBR it and add a suppressor.

Even with the light barrel the rifle is slightly nose heavy; I wouldn't recommend the heavy barrel unless you have a specific purpose in mind.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I ordered mine with a Hvy Barrel. Not really to warried about it. Might send it back to XCR and have it fluted but for now Im not worried about it. Alli told me when we were talking about ordering from Robarms that the hvy barrel is 7 grams heavier than the Light barrel.

·
Registered
327 Posts
G

·
I had a heavy 18" and it was fine, but really front heavy. I switched to a light 16" and it totally changed the handling of the gun.

Accuracy is not a reason to choose a heavy barrel.

the light barrels rock IMHO.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have had both the light and the heavy but I plan on going back to the light, the difference in weight and handling is not worth the very minimal benefit that the heavy gives

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I may get a heavy to cut down. Right now my 11" is a light and has enough shoulder to mount the flash hider. It was cut/threaded on a CNC lathe and tested for concentricity before being cut (they commented on how straight the Robarm barrels were, I took 2 to see which one was straighter). Once I get my can I may look for a heavy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts