XCR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was a long eight days without power but our lights are finally on. Unfortunately, there are still over 500,000 out of 4 million in the Houston area without power. Both our cell phones and land lines were out for almost five days. We still do not have cable or internet service yet so I am using my employer's web access to catch up on news and pay bills. We did not have any major damage to our house but this was the exception in our neighborhood. We live in the Spring area with many tall pine trees. I would estimate that roughly 60% of the folks around me had trees fall on their house or car or both! So far, over half the deaths attributed to Ike were caused by Carbon monoxide poisoning from generators being operated indoors.

I would also like to personally thank those of you that helped by sending aid to the Houston area. It was very much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Glad you made it through too. I only had minor roof damage, insurance will not even cover it. I got power before you, but I live in Willis not far from the electric plant.

Hopefully we will not have to go through that for a long time.

The Law Enforcement Academy I work for just started again today and we are having to revise all the schedules.

I hope you are back to work or can do so soon.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Glad to hear from you, hope you get everything sorted and back to "normal" as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some observations I made during Ike:

1) Without power, people actually got to know their neighbors. Kids rode bikes and played ball outside like we used to before MP3 players, Xboxes and the internet.

2) Family bonding is limited to about 48 straight hours. After that, serious mental health issues arise.

3) The mosquito should be the state "bird" of South Texas.

4) What exactly is the purpose of a 3 inch flying tree roach and why do they seek out every open door or window in my home?

5) Family board games and lack of power or air conditioning are a leading cause for divorce.

6) For a cold beer, you can barter for almost anything.

7) Watching Gecko's catch bugs by flashlight is not a substitute for quality sports programs.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Glad to hear everything worked out ok for you

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Some observations I made during Ike:

1) Without power, people actually got to know their neighbors. Kids rode bikes and played ball outside like we used to before MP3 players, Xboxes and the internet.

2) Family bonding is limited to about 48 straight hours. After that, serious mental health issues arise.

3) The mosquito should be the state "bird" of South Texas.

4) What exactly is the purpose of a 3 inch flying tree roach and why do they seek out every open door or window in my home?

5) Family board games and lack of power or air conditioning are a leading cause for divorce.

6) For a cold beer, you can barter for almost anything.

7) Watching Gecko's catch bugs by flashlight is not a substitute for quality sports programs.
Good observations, glad to know you retained your sense of humor through the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
We went through this in Florida in 2004. We got hit by three hurricanes in a row, in about eight weeks. We lost power for a week after #2, and for 10 days after #3 (or was it hte other way around?). Real eerie when you drive down the street and see a guy with an M4 over his shoulder directing traffic. It was hot and humid as all hell, no airconditioning, and a lot of folks were carrying openly.

My wife and I were clearing debris from our yard (we had a pile three feet high and about 25 feet long) when a fleet of trucks poured into our neighborhood -- power trucks, front-end loaders, you name it. We actually cheered; it was like the cavalry had arrived in one of those old movies. The power was on a couple of hours later.

tk

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tree cutters worked in tandem with the power trucks. It was a team of about 10-15 large vehicles. Once they arrived, they had power up and running in a matter of hours. Our crew was Midwest Electric out of Indiana and Kansas City Power and Light. God bless them all.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You may have survived Ike, but will we survive "The Meltdown", "The Economical Crisis", "The (whatever)".

I'm laughing my ass off at this. Obama is now making ground because of this, BUT it was a democrat in the White House that started the big party.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Dems started the party but the Republicans brought the kool-aid and party favors for the last eight years. Neither party is blameless but it is we, the taxpayers that will carry the burden. I say vote them all out in November and start over.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I say vote them all out in November and start over.

I'm with you. They all need to go. This is the result of greed, pure and simple.

You can trace the roots of this all the way back to the days of Jimmy Carter, and Clinton-era laws contributed, but it's been the utter lack of oversight and regulation of both the mortgage and banking markets in the past eight years that have put us in crisis mode. This is the inevitable result of unfettered freemarket finance. Only Wall Street has benefitted, and the rest of us will pay the price. And yes, I'm vested in all of this. I've had a lifelong career, made a decent salary, and socked away what I could. I own a modest home and drive a four-year-old car. My wife and I hade about $500K in savings, pensions, IRAs and 401Ks. But there's no place safe to put it.

tk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts