XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took 2 friends of mine from Church shooting yesterday,1 of them I had taken before and the other I had not shoot with before and he had never fired a rifle before.

I took quite a few weapons with me

Thompson Center .22LR
Robinson Arms XCR 5.56
M44 Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R
Mossberg 500A 12ga
Taurus PT 1911SS .45ACP
Glock 26 9mm

I of course went over the 4 rules with them even though I know they had shot before, I did this on the way out to the range and then when we got to the range and when we got the weapons out of the cases. Once I thought that they understood the rules I started with the person who I had shot with before and since he really like Mosins I let him shoot it first at 50 yards he fired 5 shots and 3 of them were on a 8.5x11 target not to bad since last time I was shooting it I was adjusting the front sight and it fell out. I then let the person who had never shot a rifle before shot the Thompson Center .22LR at 25 yards from the bench, he did pretty good once he got used to using a scope and figured out his eye relief he got a 1 inch 3 shot group at 25 yards after firing 5 rounds to get used to the weapon. Next I let them use the Thompson Center .22LR at 50 yards benched, they both did fairly good one had a roughly 1.5 inch 5 shot group and the other had a roughly 2.5 inch 5 shot group. Then I moved onto the Robinson Arms XCR I went over the operation of the weapon and the different firing postitions used with a fighting rifle ( Ready, Indoor Ready, Firing Stance, Supported Kneel, Unsupported Kneel, Squat, Sitting, Prone, Etc ... ) I then had the them just do some dry runs from one postion to another with out a magazine or ammo. I then had them go from the rifle hanging on the sling to Firing postion firing 2 rounds scanning for threats then back down to the ready postion. After they had done that a few times I demonstrated a box drill and then had them do it in slow speed, I had them start with the weapon slung then go to standing firing 2 shots then moving foward about 7 yards go to a kneel fire 2 shots stand and move about 7 yards right go into a squat fire 2 shots stand and move back about 7 yards and fire 2 shots then move left about 7 yards and have them go into sitting and fire 2 shots. I had each of them do that twice. Then I let them shoot the Shotgun at 20 yards at bottle on the ground they started out firing standing straight up and complaining about the recoil so I pointed out to them that if you lean forward into the shot your body absorb more of the recoil that seemed to help. Then moved onto pistols, both of them had shot pistols before so other then just pointing out a few thinks such as to lean forward instead of backwards they did pretty good.

Here are some pics

Friend going into sitting

Friend going into standing

Me moving forward on the targets at night

Friend trying weakside shooting

Friend going into standing

Me going from Indoor Ready to a firing position

Me testing out my new Mossberg

Friend firing my new Mossberg

Friend practicing going into standing firing position

Friend practicing going into standing firing position, he had shot handguns before and had been taught a different stance then I and since he was able to get his shots on target I did not correct much just pointed a few things to him

Friend practicing going into standing firing position

Me practicing going from holstered to a firing postion

Me firing on a target

Range Videos

Me trying out my new Mossberg

Me part way through demonstrating a box drill there was a few things I should have done different

If anyone has any suggestions some of the things I should have done different please let me know

·
Registered
652 Posts
Tell your buddy that he is right handed and using his left eye. ;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I caught that when he was shooting my .22LR he had better vision in his left eye because of a stronger contact prescription but he is right handed, so when he was shooting the .22LR I had him shoot right eye and right hand and then left eye and left hand, he shot better left hand and left eye.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
well it's a start and new beginning for them. good job in introducing some new members to the club. ;)

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had to teach myself how to shoot left handed, I have a left dominance. When I was training transition drills from long gun to side arm, I was faster then the others. The toughest part was learning trigger control with my left hand. Now 20 years later its very natural.

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts