XCR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the statement of guiding tenets from my favorite charter school:

https://xaviercharter.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Xavier-Charter-School-Founding-Tenets.pdf

Xavier Classical Education Tenets

1. Classical Western Civilization

• At Xavier Charter School Western Civilization study is the cornerstone of all other subjects.
  • The priority is that students be historically grounded.
  • The primary founding purpose is to provide American students with a coherent narrative of their civilization’s rise, looking for evidence throughout history of who America is as a nation.
  • History education is America’s core civic responsibility.
  • Classical education distinguishes features that eventually led to the West’s
    expansion to world dominance and the West’s unique creativity. It is a fundamental responsibility of a classical education to preserve a nation’s (in this case, America) civic culture, identity and the store of historical memory about that nation that underlies it.
  • Xavier does not glorify conquest, enslavement, oppression, social injustice, and similarly hopeless characteristics.
  • As a Western Civilization school, Xavier does not focus on multiculturalism at its core.
  • The classical education approach is pro‐human; pro‐humanity.
  • The purpose of Western Civilization study is to inform and educate youth
    but also to encourage them to invest themselves as good human beings, understanding the responsibilities of a human being, and influencing the world through integrity, responsibility, and purpose.

2. American Classical Education

Classical education in America promotes American culture and ideals.

Xavier’s responsibility is to “transform future citizens into loyal Americans.”

Traditional Ideals:

"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write. Let every order and degree among the people rouse their attention and animate their resolution. Let them all become attentive to the grounds and principles of government . . ."
John Adams, 1765

a. Respect for the Founding Fathers’ intellectual virtue

“...the founding fathers were men of genuine convictions; and dedication to the highest ideals known to Man in the governmental field as exemplified by those recited in the Declaration of Independence and in the Preamble to the Constitution. This is unquestionably true of them as a group, judged by the entire record, despite the inescapable frailties of human nature to which every human being is subject and at times exhibits in some degree, as history proves.”

Hamilton Albert Long, 1976

b. Individual self‐government

“For the security and enjoyment by Man of his Divinely created rights, it follows implicitly that Man is ‘endowed by his Creator’ not only with the right to be self‐governing but also with the capacity to reason and, therefore, with the capacity to be self‐governing.”

“A man cannot govern a nation if he cannot govern a city; he cannot govern a city if he cannot govern a family; he cannot govern a family unless he can govern himself; and he cannot govern himself unless his passions are subject to reason...”

Hugo Grotius, seventeenth century jurist, laid foundations for international law

c. Civic responsibility ‐ ...knowledge of responsibilities as citizens of the Republic

Responsibility to be a good person.
“A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.”
Samuel Adams, 1779

2. Responsibility to support and defend the Constitution.

“That knowing the strong bias of human nature to tyranny and despotism, we have nothing else in view but to provide for posterity against the wanton exercise of power, which cannot otherwise be done than by the formation of a fundamental constitution." Reverend Thomas Allen, 1776

3. Responsibility to participate in society as an informed voter, juror, and tax payer.

4. Responsibility to preserve liberty for future generations of Americans.

All citizens have a duty to preserve what is great about this nation for future generations of Americans.

"Our country is in danger, but not to be despaired of . . . On you depend the fortunes of America. You are to decide the important question, on which rest the happiness and liberty of millions yet unborn. Act worthy of yourselves."
Joseph Warren‐‐President of the Massachusetts Congress, Boston oration, 1775

5. Responsibility to revere and obey the law.

“Let reverence for the laws, be breathed by every American mother, to the lisping babe, that prattles on her lap – let it be taught in schools, in seminaries, and in colleges; let it be written in Primmers, spelling books, and in Almanacs; let it be preached from the pulpit, proclaimed in legislative halls, and enforced in courts of justice. And, in short, let it become the political religion of the nation; and let the old and the young, the rich and the poor... all sexes and tongues, and colors and conditions, sacrifice unceasingly upon its altars.”
Abraham Lincoln’s Lyceum Speech – 1838

6. Responsibility to serve his/her fellow man.

7. Responsibility to respect individual humanness, worth and dignity.
There is a fundamental importance to each individual human life. Each individual, no matter

what his or her station in life, is a separate and distinct being and has value. This concept of the dignity and worth of the individual is of overriding importance in American thought and civic duty.

I know of no great man except those who have rendered great services to the human race.” Voltaire, 1778

d. Understanding of American primary sources including the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Federalist Papers, etc. Understand the difference between a Republic and a Democracy –

Democracy ‐

The chief characteristic and distinguishing feature of a Democracy is: Rule by Omnipotent Majority. In a Democracy, The Individual, and any group of Individuals composing any Minority, have no protection against the unlimited power of The Majority. It is a case of Majority‐over‐Man.

Republic –

Its purpose is to control The Majority strictly, as well as all others among the people, primarily to protect The Individual’s God‐given, unalienable rights and therefore for the protection of the rights of The Minority, of all minorities, and the liberties of people in general.

The definition of a Republic is: a constitutionally limited government of the representative type, created by a written Constitution‐‐adopted by the people and changeable (from its original text) by them only by its amendment‐‐with its powers divided between three separate Branches: Executive, Legislative and Judicial. Here the term "the people" means, of course, the electorate.

e. Self‐reliance –

the primarily American ideal that people are able to fulfill their own destiny, rely on themselves rather than others, and believe in the promise that through hard work and perseverance life can be different and better; the idea that through self‐reliance individuals have control over the course of their lives.

• Xavier teaches that America has common knowledge, virtues, ideals, language, and commitments (Core Knowledge).
  • Xavier is patriotic and promotes a sense of national loyalty as opposed to being citizens of the world.
  • Individuals participate in the world as citizens of America first. “Being a world citizen first, destroys a culture’s national identity.” (E.D. Hirsch)

3. Religion

• Ancient religions are studied– Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam.
  • The ancient religions are worthwhile in order to see the cause and effect in history at a particular time in a particular era.
  • To speak of religion in a historical context is relevant, appropriate and truthful.
  • Care is taken not to present religion so that students can equalize them or to find their common ground, but to understand their impact on humanity throughout the ages.

4. Reason and Logic

• The correct use of reason and logic is taught as opposed to an emotional response to knowledge.
  • Logic’s purpose is to scatter a light over understanding while seeking after truth being careful not to supply the tongue with debate and controversy.
  • Plato stated that one should not “inflame the emotions at the expense of the intellect.”
  • Logic cultivates reason to better enable human beings to distinguish good from evil, truth from falsehood, better from best.”
  • The purpose of logic is not a stirring and fomenting of the thought process, but a leading to an end – truth.
  • “Dialectic” or logic is “the search for truth through resolution of disagreement through rational discussion. It results in probable truth or the most reasonable resolution of opposite opinions.” (Cheryl Swope)

5. Classical Virtue versus Modern Values

• Although “virtue” seems almost archaic today, Aristotle spoke of it as “excellence at being human.”
  • “...powers of moral habits enable us to be what we ought to be, to achieve our telos...our end purpose in life.” (Cochran)
  • Four Cardinal Virtues –
    a. Temperance – virtue of the appetites (moderation)
    b. Prudence – virtue of the intellect (wisdom)
    c. Fortitude – virtue of the will (heart)
    d. Justice – harmony of the soul (right ordering of the other three)
  • Modern Values embrace characteristics society most prizes: tolerance which encompasses being kind, non‐judgmentalism, happiness, comfort/convenience and fairness.
  • What is the study of Classical Virtue? – “the study of Man as he is, but also Man as he ought to be.”

6. The Good, the Beautiful, and the True

• Xavier’s purpose is to seek truth, in order to discover and to act on what is good and beautiful in this life.
  • How is “good” measured? Is it defined by the majority? Is it measured by self‐satisfaction or personal fulfillment? The good of any thing is found in its ability to accomplish what it was created for...to realize its purpose for existence as intended by its maker. Only in this realization can something truly be called “good.”
  • “The good” is possible only in the light of truth (logic and reason). Not truth as it is often defined today, by personal preference or popular consensus, but truth as it is...independent from opinions and emotions.
  • And where goodness and truth exist, there you will find beauty.
  • Beauty is not left to chance or whim, but is written in our nature as humans and in the natural world.

A student’s purpose is to seek truth, in order to discover and to act on what is good and beautiful in this life.

7. The Great Conversation

• The Great Conversation is the name given to the exchange of ideas that has been going on for thousands of years.
  • The ideas have to do with our world, relationships, truth, knowledge, existence, hope, despair, and purpose ‐ in short, who we are and why we live.
  • Socratic Discussion and Response (7‐12) based on logic and reason through the spoken and written word is both the process and culmination of classical training.
  • Direct/Explicit Instruction/Group Response (K‐6) is the process of laying the foundation of facts and content through memorization, direct/explicit instruction and group response.

Link to school website: Xavier Charter School | Liberal Arts School

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Think I'd take issue with only a very few of those....

#3 and #6 from Civic Responsibility.....Taxation should be voluntary, otherwise it is legalized theft and just laws should be followed; unjust ones ignored, repealed and/or resisted.

Reactions: willpgn and bgreed

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely have some disagreements in there, but on balance it's quite a lot better than the average of what I see in American society today, and even more so when compared to the mass of union controlled public schools in the nation.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
I definitely have some disagreements in there, but on balance it's quite a lot better than the average of what I see in American society today, and even more so when compared to the mass of union controlled public schools in the nation.
100% in agreement there!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Yeah, totally not bad.....a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: Sean K.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I wish I had a school like that in my area.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
You could, it's called homeschool.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You could, it's called homeschool.
My wife really enjoyed school as a kid, and would like for our daughters to have the same experience. I tell her that the schools are not the same as when we were kids. They will not have the same experience.

Although I mostly enjoyed school as a kid, I was also red-pilled in elementary school. I got in a fight with a minority student (he started it). I was suspended for fighting, but the other kid wasn't because he came from a troubled household. My dad was pissed, but I learned a valuable life lesson: some animals are more equal than others.

Our state has a mask mandate and requirements that change constantly. Our oldest daughter was supposed to start preschool this year, but we said fuck that. No way will we subject her to that. She was homeschooled out of necessity. Partial victory, but my wife doesn't want to homeschool for their entire education. Besides, our daughter really craves social engagements with others her own age. All of the fun social things we were planning on doing were canceled due to "science".

Our state legislature is a bunch of weak cucks and allowing Whitmer to do what she wants. The school districts also lack backbones and are doing whatever the state tells them to do (even the private ones). I have convinced my wife to homeschool for another year, except this time it will be hybrid. I found a co-op that does not enforce the mask mandate. My daughter will be getting some social time with other kids, even if its only 1 day a week. Hopefully my daughter will make some close friends and my wife will meet other homeschool moms that will give her confidence that she can do it.

Reactions: TexasChris

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're not alone: Homeschooling on the Rise During COVID-19 Pandemic

We chose the school our kids attend (the one whose statement of tenets I posted, above) because we felt that it was a better option than homeschooling. We honestly believe that this school is doing a better job than we could do. if that wasn't the case (i.e. we didn't have an option like this) we would be home schooling. Honestly, I would be willing to pay private school tuition for my kids to attend this school. But we don't have to do that, because it's a public (charter) school.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...our daughter really craves social engagements with others her own age.
Homeschooling isn't a lonely experience. There are homeschool groups everywhere now, and homeschoolers can take advantage of the opportunities that aren't available to most school children because of their availability during school hours.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You're not alone: Homeschooling on the Rise During COVID-19 Pandemic

We chose the school our kids attend (the one whose statement of tenets I posted, above) because we felt that it was a better option than homeschooling. We honestly believe that this school is doing a better job than we could do. if that wasn't the case (i.e. we didn't have an option like this) we would be home schooling. Honestly, I would be willing to pay private school tuition for my kids to attend this school. But we don't have to do that, because it's a public (charter) school.
I have zero tolerance for mask requirements. So even your excellent school would be nogo for me. This is an easier decision because my children are just now becoming eligible for school. The decision would be much harder if they were already attending a school that they liked with friends.

Michigan is now requiring masks for all children over the age of 2. This also includes private schools. This severely limits my options to only schools that are willing to defy the mask order.

The other hot ticket item for me is wokeism, specifically CRT and LGBT. I do not want critical race theory taught (good for IDAHO which just banned it). I also personally think transgenderism is a sign of mental illness and should not be pushed onto vulnerable kids.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
I have zero tolerance for mask requirements. So even your excellent school would be nogo for me. This is an easier decision because my children are just now becoming eligible for school. The decision would be much harder if they were already attending a school that they liked with friends.

Michigan is now requiring masks for all children over the age of 2. This also includes private schools. This severely limits my options to only schools that are willing to defy the mask order.

The other hot ticket item for me is wokeism, specifically CRT and LGBT. I do not want critical race theory taught (good for IDAHO which just banned it). I also personally think transgenderism is a sign of mental illness and should not be pushed onto vulnerable kids.
You'll enjoy this one:

·
Registered
705 Posts
You'll enjoy this one:

The effectiveness is irrelevant. I would be willing to concede that properly worn respirators are effective. I would also concede that a full visibility PAPR would remove most of my grievances against wearing a mask. If the laws were changed to require mandatory respirators instead of mandatory masks, I would still be against it.

We can argue it on first principles alone. All we need to do is answer the questions "What is the purpose of the mask mandate?" and "When would it be acceptable to stop making up?" and follow it to the natural logical conclusion.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
The effectiveness is irrelevant. I would be willing to concede that properly worn respirators are effective. I would also concede that a full visibility PAPR would remove most of my grievances against wearing a mask. If the laws were changed to require mandatory respirators instead of mandatory masks, I would still be against it.

We can argue it on first principles alone. All we need to do is answer the questions "What is the purpose of the mask mandate?" and "When would it be acceptable to stop making up?" and follow it to the natural logical conclusion.
I'd argue it is relevant. If it's not effective, there's NO POINT in even recommending cloth/surgical masks. I agree....mandatory respirators isn't something I'd support either.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have zero tolerance for mask requirements. So even your excellent school would be nogo for me.
Our school doesn't have a mask requirement at this point. They did for about half of this school year (my kids have been at school in person since September), but it's done now.

There were actually some kids who went online and came back when the mask requirement ended. More went the other way, but the online option will continue to be offered through the end of this school year.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
All we need to do is answer the questions "What is the purpose of the mask mandate?"
Buckle up boys cracks knuckles and get out the tin foil.

The mask mandate was so that our CCTV network could get unobstructed silhouettes, which in conjunction with our CC info/GPS would improve on the individual profiles that already exist. Mechanically, we are all incredibly unique. Shoulder width, limb construction, limb proportion, gait, speed of movement/arm swing/head speed (all with respect to stimulus), the way we open doors, the way we move through them...it goes so much deeper than this, and if you have an anomalous feature such as a short leg, an injury that limits arm movement or shoulder movement, or that causes you to rotate at the trunk to turn your head etc it creates a fingerprint about every physical movement.......a treasure trove of data that can all be used to identify us.

It's not really necessary to know who X is, so long as the system can identify X by their unique biomechanical signature, name and number are irrelevant.....as soon as they need to know exactly who you are, for whatever reason, it's a few clicks away....then they have everything....and once they have statistic likelihood, leaving your phone at home, wearing baggy clothes, obscured faces.....none of it matters...and in the age of AI's designing AI's.....i'd say it's probable that such a system both exists and is already surprisingly robust.

Social distancing gave it a good look at unobstructed silhouettes moving against various back grounds.......I'm just saying if I was a geek designing this system, the last year of footage would have been the world series for testing the system.

I'm watching for a "national security" risk, which because of masking + (insert germ/virus scare here), requires some type of new identification system (which will magically be ready to roll out) based on either a chip, your phone or.......biometrics.....because terrorism, or whatever.

Based on what I've seen people say and do thus far, not only will they accept it, about half of us will beg for this.

Anyway, better swap out my tinfoil, think the 5g's bout worn it out.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Buckle up boys cracks knuckles and get out the tin foil.

The mask mandate was so that our CCTV network could get unobstructed silhouettes, which in conjunction with our CC info/GPS would improve on the individual profiles that already exist. Mechanically, we are all incredibly unique. Shoulder width, limb construction, limb proportion, gait, speed of movement/arm swing/head speed (all with respect to stimulus), the way we open doors, the way we move through them...it goes so much deeper than this, and if you have an anomalous feature such as a short leg, an injury that limits arm movement or shoulder movement, or that causes you to rotate at the trunk to turn your head etc it creates a fingerprint about every physical movement.......a treasure trove of data that can all be used to identify us.

It's not really necessary to know who X is, so long as the system can identify X by their unique biomechanical signature, name and number are irrelevant.....as soon as they need to know exactly who you are, for whatever reason, it's a few clicks away....then they have everything....and once they have statistic likelihood, leaving your phone at home, wearing baggy clothes, obscured faces.....none of it matters...and in the age of AI's designing AI's.....i'd say it's probable that such a system both exists and is already surprisingly robust.

Social distancing gave it a good look at unobstructed silhouettes moving against various back grounds.......I'm just saying if I was a geek designing this system, the last year of footage would have been the world series for testing the system.

I'm watching for a "national security" risk, which because of masking + (insert germ/virus scare here), requires some type of new identification system (which will magically be ready to roll out) based on either a chip, your phone or.......biometrics.....because terrorism, or whatever.

Based on what I've seen people say and do thus far, not only will they accept it, about half of us will beg for this.

Anyway, better swap out my tinfoil, think the 5g's bout worn it out.
Scary; but I'd bet you're right. While the masking and social distancing may not have been planned, they've been used to full advantage for exactly what you state.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts