XCR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was also posted on FALFILES just before the range report.

I just got a new ACOG TA31F, and you can relax. The only issue is my XCR won't fit in it's stock hardsided case with the scope mounted. The XCR has a full length Picatinny rail on the top and the TA31F has the rail mount adaptor so it's quick on and off.

A couple of things come immediately to mind now that I've got it mounted on the rifle and have been playing with it in my living room with lights on at night and in the dark.

First, no amount of holding it up and looking through it in the store comes even close to showing how incredibly well it works on the rifle. When I got it home, I held it up and was initially disappointed at how small the chevron was in the scope because it seemed much larger in the store - but then I had looked at three different ones and took a week to decide before purchase and having it shipped to me. I was going by the Trijicon website which makes the reticles look a lot bigger and a vague recollection of which models I had seen at Jensen Arms. These things are really pricey and I was really going on faith I'd like it.

Second after mounting it on the XCR, as the saying goes, magic happened. Throwing the rifle to my shoulder with both eyes open I immediately saw the chevron magically appearing to float in space. Practicing mounting and swinging the rifle confirmed that it's automatic and easy to see the chevron even while wildly moving around. The Bindon system really works, at least to the extent I could test it out in my living room. I can hardly wait to hit the range this weekend.

Third, I was experiencing a little bit of buyer's remose while waiting for it to arrive. That buyer's remorse was peaking when I opened the box and held it up to check out the reticle with one eye closed. But getting it on the rifle and using both eyes reduced the buyer's remorse to a wimper. Turning off the lights, waiting a few minutes for my eyes to night adjust and them mounting the rifle totally converted any residual buyer's remorse to buyer's delight.

Fourth, the ACOG is quality all the way. It came in a hardsided lockable case just like a quality pistol. Included with it were a pen-style lens brush and a custom fit Scopecover. And even though it's pricey, I checked my records - I paid $630 for a Leupold 3.5-10 VariX III in 1994. Counting inflation the ACOG seems a relative bargin today given it's capability.

Fifth, now I have a big problem when my DSA FAL I've ordered comes in. I was planning to put an EOT on it but now I'm tempted to put another ACOG on it - the only problem is figuring out which piggybank to rob to afford another one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great pictures, thanks for posting. How much eye relief do you have with the TA31F? I have ordered an EOTECH 553 for my XCR, but was planning to buy an Acog to use with my 6.8 conversion kit at some point.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hit the Trijicon website for the real specs but I believe the TA31, which is calibrated for .223, has 1.4 inches. The TA11E or F, which I'm considering for my FAL in .308, has more like 2.5 inches. I may be trying the TA31 on the FAL this weekend being mindful of the shorter eye relief.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Let's not forget the Marines used the TA31F in their initial upgrade to the A4's before going to their RCO model...which is just a 31F at heart! Anything that would move the self-proclaimed "God's of Rifle Marksmanship" away from their beloved iron sights must be worth at least taking a look at! I've had my F model for a couple years now and it is a great optic.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1

I posted elsewhere on my first range trip and the ACOG was awesome. Whether it is reflective of the careful machining on the XCR's rails being perfectly aligned with the barrel axis or just sheer luck, I didn't have to adjust anything to have it hitting POA at 25yds or so. I was hitting little bits of sticks and small pieces of broken clay targets with IDPA type rapid sight picture and fire the shot. If you have a TiVo or other kind of DVR next time the news shows military in Iraq look closely and you'll see a majority of them have either ACOGs or Aimpoint Red Dots these days (and a few that look like EoTechs).

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Let's not forget the Marines used the TA31F in their initial upgrade to the A4's before going to their RCO model...which is just a 31F at heart! Anything that would move the self-proclaimed "God's of Rifle Marksmanship" away from their beloved iron sights must be worth at least taking a look at! I've had my F model for a couple years now and it is a great optic.
[/quote
It's not out fault that we are the God's of Rifle Marksmanship. ;D

I do think the Marine Corps takes rifle marksmanship a lot more seriously than the other branches.

I like the ACOG a lot but for some situations I prefer the Eotech.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Cid, I guess I shouldn't tell the story about how a bunch of my Air Force buds and I stomped a Marine unit at an impromptu competition on the range then?! ;)

You're right though, they do take it more seriously. I hear they're adding to the qualification tables too, more quick fire, "combat" style stuff.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Cid, I guess I shouldn't tell the story about how a bunch of my Air Force buds and I stomped a Marine unit at an impromptu competition on the range then?! ;)

You're right though, they do take it more seriously. I hear they're adding to the qualification tables too, more quick fire, "combat" style stuff.
You could tell the story, but that doesn't mean I'd believe it :D

You're right; within the last couple years they've incorporated more combat shooting into the rifle quals. You still shoot at 500 yards on the KD range but the new stuff gets figured into your score as well.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I thought the same thing when I saw that pic. Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Is the ACOG any good for CQB??

M
Mountie,

Hell yeah it is. As long as you have the ambient light to illuminate the reticle. As Sigsrule stated above, it's a both eyes open optic that will allow you at close range to put the reticle on target and fire.

Sigsrule, how's that eye relief? I know on an M4, I gotta mount an ACOG wayyyy back to get a good eye relief, and I'd say my nose is approximately an inch from the charging handle.

Cid I will agree that the MC as a whole takes marksmanship more seriously. If I had my way, EVERYBODY would go through 1 bootcamp. Marine Bootcamp. 13 weeks to learn fundamentals you need for the military, shitcan the fatties, and afterwards go off to your prospective branches for specialized training.

I (like M118) will refrain from our marksmanship instruction/training for FAST Co Marines in Rota. I will say they were the best group of guys to train. I HATE TRAINING BOOGS!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts