XCR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My disdain for adding superflous stuff to my rifle has to be balanced by my time in the service and knowing there are just some times you need to see into the shadows. We had plain Surefire handhelds in an offset mount, then Pelicans, I bought a Surefire 951 out of pocket and they all worked to be certain but they always seemed too bulky for my taste. Fast forward and I'm no longer in uniform but still have a reasonable need to IFF the boogerman should he go bump in the night. The M3 series have been around for awhile but I never really paid much attention since a pistol with a rail was, for the longest time in my shooting history anyways, a not so frequent occurence. A little while back my dealer friend cut me a good deal on these Insight products.

The standard M3 is mounted to a Taurus OSS 9mm. (For all the folks that drink Taurus haterade, for the price you pay and the pistol you get for it, it is one helluva shooter! I don't ride the XD short bus and it came down to this or an M&P. There was a sale on these so I figured I'd try it. I stopped looking soon after.) It is lightweight, not bulky at all and puts out some serious candlepower for such a small light. If you are used to shooting 'thumbs forward' hitting the rocker switch is simple. Even the spousal unit was quick to catch on and made the point before I did; if something were to happen it might be too dark to see what's what and who's who. I've shot hundreds of rounds with it to practice using it and it works great. My preconceived fears of it throwing off the balance of the pistol and causing some hokey malfunctions were alleviated--zero problems.

I just picked up the M3X for the XCR just a few days ago. This is their rifle specific model with the momentary push button (Off-Momentary-Constant) and remote switch. Now, remote switches I wasn't a big fan of because they always got snagged and they were always either too short or too long for what you wanted. This one isn't so bad. I also discovered a side benefit to the XCR not having a "true picatinny" rail. You can use the center groove and your rail covers (some might not work because of the lugs) to act as a cord keeper. Pretty neat. Back in a former life I bought their CFL100 remote switch for the PAQ4 and placed it in the same location on the magwell of my M4. It works for me. I know some folks don't like having to use fingertips to actuate a light because you can get stressed and squeeze both sets of fingers and have an ND. I don't use my left trigger finger to hit the switch, as in all things it is still possible I 'spose. Train it out of you I say.

So, Insight M3's, good little units.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have heard good things about those. I ordered a light for my wife's M&P while gone. I ended up with the TLR-1 but the M3 was a strong contender. I think it came down to availability and price at the time.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
the insights are definitely good lights. that's certainly a rare light setup on the xcr, but as long as it works for you...

my xd is like your taurus's brotha from anotha motha, and it resembles your short bus remark :mad: :p

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I second the Taurus comment. Taurus supported all of us gun owners during the "Clinton" crises and I am sure they will be there again. :clap:

Col Maddog :2rifle:

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my xd is like your taurus's brotha from anotha motha, and it resembles your short bus remark :mad: :p
:D

No matter how many of them I shoot I just can't like them! Darn near all of my shooting buddies own one too so believe me I've felt the pain of ribbing when they've gone in mini group buys for mags or whatever. I have to get my licks in when I can!

I had tried out the ergogrip paddle rail cover for the XCR/M3X but since I shoot with a magwell hold, sort of, I didn't like that I'd have to change my grip to go to the light. The cord is fairly well protected using that xtm panel cover, more so than the similar set up on my M4/PAQ4 combo, and that worked fine for over a year. I won't be doing anything close to that stuff, and it is still quick release so if'n I see the need to I can always stow it in my ruck until I'd need it. I think it'll stay pretty much where it's at out of habit's sake but I'll keep fiddling with it to make sure.

And, no matter what anyone will have you believe you can still use any of them as a handheld light without any loss of performance. Just wear some gloves if you have big hands, the bezel gets warm!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just noticed this thread and I realise it is old. I don't want to argue over this topic, and if this works for you then go with it. BUT, I have had VERY TERRIBLE issues with the M3X lights. We were issued them on a deployment and they had several problems.
First the entire unit is plastic, including the mount, so after prolonged use/abuse they broke and wore down after being in contact with metal rails.
Secondly, with the switch in the "momentary" position the batteries drain slowly. I have never had that problem with a Surefire. It's not an issue for anyone who will know exactly when and where they will employ the light, but for military or any other use where you might be moving around for hours or days without knowing when you will need to illuminate an area it causes problems. Yes you can leave it off when you are not using it, but in urban areas it can be a lot of time between safe areas.
Lastly the IR filter (if you have one, again for military/police use) falls off in about 2 minutes unless it is taped on, and has a tendency to flip open right out of the box- not a good thing when you have night vision equipment on.
These might be good for most people or shor uses, but if you plan on really putting your light/weapon through the ringer I strongly recommend against this item.

·
Registered
981 Posts
You could buy the Streamlight TLR-1 and the optional remote pressure switch/tail cap. The streamlight is solid aluminum and boasts a bright 130 lumen (I believe) led that will not drain as quick as a Halogen or Xenon bulb. Ive had one on my xcr that I used for patrol and one on a 1911 and have had zero problems. You can find them for less than $100 if you shop around.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've since moved the M3X to the left rail and use just the thumb switch. That's curious about the batteries though. After my initial tinkering and practicing with it I installed new batteries for HD mode and those are the same set that are in there now I believe. I still shoot with it (and practice with the light actuating grip) and it still seems as bright as new. The M3X still has the same batteries as well and I don't think I've replaced them either and I'm always tinkering with it while practicing fundamentals or reloads or whatever, while watching the TV.

Now, you are right about the plastic stuff. But I'm not getting in and out MRAPs and Strykers and what not so I can definitely see how they'd snap. For what I use 'em for they've been more than adequate. Their "rail grabber" style mounts are supposed to be better though, did your unit have those or this style, with the plastic slider?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The M3 is a great light for the money. I highly recommend it to people based on my professional experience with it.

Nothing wrong with the Taurus either. I don't especially care for their compact automatics, but the full size 24/7 line is great value.

ETA: My experience with it has been in while in LE, not military. It's held up great in that area while being banged up while doing building searches and dynamic entry.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It was the crappy plastic slider. I just looked at the rail grabber and it looks much more stable. As I said, it's probably great for many applications, and it certainly is lighter than many items out there- but it failed me and lots of other people at critical junctures so I have no time for this piece of gear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We use M3X lights on our Berettas and M4's where I work. We ran them pretty hard for the last 4 or so years and have not had any issues with them besides the formentioned IR cap thing. Great light if your not planning on using it for IR. On my personal AR I run an Insight Procyon.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1 - 12 of 12 Posts