XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently during our Thanksgiving gathering with my mother husband's family I spoke to my mothers brother-in-law.He is a retired Marine Corps Colonel and now works for the D.O.D..I took the XCR as most there are either military or retired,and are extreme gun-nuts like myself.Anyway,we have had many discussions about the possible replacements for the M16/M4 and he was aware of Robinson company,but had never seen an XCR in person.
Needless to say he was very impressed and wanted to shoot it.He didn't seem to care for the S.C.A.R. for reasons he didn't seem to be able to discuss.For what it's worth,he said he was going to suggest to whomever he "knows",that the XCR deserves a serious look.Then he went on to say how they were unsure of potential budget cuts due to the current political situation.
We discused the many virtues of the rifle and the more he handled it the more impressed he was with all the advantages it holds over most any other currently available system.I have no idea if any of this means anything whatsoever,but a potential "good word" to the right ear can never hurt.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
There is a lot of love and hate for the SCAR. For all its innovation, and benefits over what is currently fielded, there remains a large amount of detractors that prefer M4's or want HK416's instead. The whole saga behind the SCAR project is fascinating.

And FYI, I got the word today the SCAR was approved for feilding last week (the LRIP's) and full rate production should just be months away now. This is on the military side. I have no idea what this means for the civilian model and speculation about the december release.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
it never hurts to get the word out about the XCR. Do you know where he works in DOD?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Robinson, being a small business, will be unable to "line the pockets" of those in the procurement chain. Don't hold your breath as there are companies out there (H&K, FN, Colt, etc.) whose pockets are gold lined. :2cents:

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Those of us who own the XCR know how great of a weapon it is. I love the folding stock and how compact the weapon can get. I also love the quick barrel change. This weapon is everything an Army should be. I will eventually get another 7.62x39 SBR and 5.56 SBR barrels since quick barrel changes are so easy and painless. Go from SBR to battle rifle in an instant. I also love how the bolt is like an AK, I have no doubt in full-auto this weapon will stay cool and the bolt lugs will not break off like on AR's.

Sometimes I feel sorry for those POF guys who spent 2 times as much for just an upper that is basically an over priced AR.

·
Registered
986 Posts
In the history of the US Army's weapons procurement, has always been slow and the Army always chose the cheapest weapon possible. Going back to the Civil War, the Union could have been armed with repeaters, but the chief of ordnances was fearful of the amount ammo that would be used. Stoner was stoned walled by the Army to whole time he was trying to get his M-16 into the competion. In the 1960s the USAF was the first to look at the M-16. Gen Curtis LeMay was about to purchase 100K before congress put the kabash on that. I guess some one wasn't gonna get their payoff.

If the Army was smart ;D they would buy the uppers of the HK416 or POF and call it good. Of course I would love to see the military go to the XCR. The Army's track record sux when it comes to the procurement of the infantry rifle. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
If the Army was smart ;D they would buy the uppers of the HK416 or POF and call it good. Of course I would love to see the military go to the XCR. The Army's track record sux when it comes to the procurement of the infantry rifle. :2cents:
That's exactly what happened. Big Army approved the HK416 for select units because of the superior reliability. However, the superior reliability came back to bite them on the ass when they cut a $375,000,000 check to Colt for the M4. Senator Coburn asked the Army why they are continuing with the M4 program when he had heard how unreliable it was from US Soldiers and also asked why elite units like Delta and AWG had switched to the HK416 due to reliability

That's a damn good question, and there really isnt a good answer, so out went the 416.

The 416 was then taken away from the Asymmetric Warfare Group (AWG) because Big Army wanted to avoid the political drama of HK416 vs the last-place-dust-test-finisher Colt M4. Contractors and Delta still have theirs however. Though, if the M4 was flawless like the freaks on ARFCOM would have you believe, Delta and the AWG would see no need to fight to retain their 416's

·
Registered
986 Posts
don't_tread_on_me: I hope the good word that you placed helps the XCR program with the Army, personally I don't think it will. Eric is right it would be the best weapon to use over there. I spent a year in Kabul as an REMF, getting in and out of the armoured up Toyota Land Cruisers (TLC) carrying an A2, and that dang front sight always tapped me in the ankle. I was always wishing I had an XCR or in the least an M4.

From what I have scene of the XCR (I have mine on order) I think its the best option for military. Maybe if XCR could get some political backing that might help the case.

VB - In the defense of the Army procurement process, if a contract has already been approved and funds allocated its hard to stop the process without major legal issues that could occur and cost the taxpayers even more. If Colt fully adhered to the contract then they would be in the right to sue the Army for breach of contract of the Army cancelled the order. BTW these procurement processes have been approved and proscribed by congress...

I have worked USAF procurement in the information technology world, same rules apply. Procurement is procurement... :2cents:

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The usual horseshit bureaucratic red-tape that is used in the procurement process sucks,always has.They need a true gun-guy,a student of small arms,not some pencil pushing dumbass that has never been in a firefight to head the program.That said I doubt if it will help either,but any good word to the right ear can't hurt either.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts