XCR Forum banner

801 - 807 of 807 Posts

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Hi Everyone - David from Iowa here. I was searching for a new .308 rifle recently as that is what I primarily reload for and actually have supplies for. I am used to the M1 platform and the AR10 platform (to a lesser degree) and went over to Brownells convinced I would come home with a SCAR. I came across the XCR-M and after fondling it a bit, I knew I preferred it instantly over everything else in the store. The ergonomics, the solid feel and features like the folding armrest, non-reciprocating charger etc. made the decision for me. After getting home and doing some research on it - It turns out I made a good choice. And for the money I saved over the SCAR I was able to put a Leupold Mark VI on it as well (got the last 3x18 they had for a steal). Anyway I was thrilled to find this forum - it is great to have some knowledgeable people to learn from.
Welcome David! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. Chris here from Colorado.

Just received my XCR-L in 6.5 Grendel Pistol with an 11 inch barrel. Also have a 5.56 conversion kit on order after all the 6.5 Grendel disappeared. Plan to use it as a CQB, Home Defense, Truck, SHTF gun that fits in my Eberlestock backpack with verticle room to spare.

My other MSR's are a LWRCI-DI 5.56 recce rifle and an LMT 6.5 Creedmoor/308 long range rifle. So the XCR completes the short, med, long trifecta.

Am dying to get out and shoot my new baby but want to shoot brass cased out of it for the first 100-500 rounds. (All I have right now is 1000 rounds of Wolf steel case. I saw 4 packs of Alexander Arms ammo at my LGS last week, they were priced at $50 for 20...uggg) So if anyone has a line on some steel cased 6.5 Grendel at a reasonable price it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Looking foreward to learning more about RA and my pistol on this forum. Thanks for having me.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Hi. Chris here from Colorado.

Just received my XCR-L in 6.5 Grendel Pistol with an 11 inch barrel. Also have a 5.56 conversion kit on order after all the 6.5 Grendel disappeared. Plan to use it as a CQB, Home Defense, Truck, SHTF gun that fits in my Eberlestock backpack with verticle room to spare.

My other MSR's are a LWRCI-DI 5.56 recce rifle and an LMT 6.5 Creedmoor/308 long range rifle. So the XCR completes the short, med, long trifecta.

Am dying to get out and shoot my new baby but want to shoot brass cased out of it for the first 100-500 rounds. (All I have right now is 1000 rounds of Wolf steel case. I saw 4 packs of Alexander Arms ammo at my LGS last week, they were priced at $50 for 20...uggg) So if anyone has a line on some steel cased 6.5 Grendel at a reasonable price it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Looking foreward to learning more about RA and my pistol on this forum. Thanks for having me.
Ordered the same gun in 2019...got it early 2020. Finding reliable mags has been a bit of a chore, ELanders have a good reputation and I bought 11 of them, but haven't been out to test them yet. I got 11 of the ASC 6.5Gs....and more than half of those worked fine. The other half were warrantied, but I haven't gotten out to test those either. I also have the Unimags, but I've yet to try them with the 6.5G and have been using them in my X39 XCRs.

Reactions: INDY

·
Registered
54 Posts
went over to Brownells convinced I would come home with a SCAR. I came across the XCR-M and after fondling it a bit, I knew I preferred it instantly over everything else in the store.
So lucky! I didn't know Brownells still carried XCRs; I thought they sold out their inventory years ago. If I knew that, I would have staked them out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sean. I Ordered 15 of the ELander mags as well and will be testing them once my rifle gets out of background check purgatory. My mags actually came in bags branded with Alexander Arms logos and tech specs on the back. If ELander are the choice of Alexander Arms (who developed the cartridge and produce a 6.5 Grendel AR15) then I would certainly assume they work. Unfortunately its hard to try various mags in Colorado because we have an unjust 15 round mag limit. But Local gun stores are happy to order them and/or carry them, you just can't find them in Big Box stores.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Sean. I Ordered 15 of the ELander mags as well and will be testing them once my rifle gets out of background check purgatory. My mags actually came in bags branded with Alexander Arms logos and tech specs on the back. If ELander are the choice of Alexander Arms (who developed the cartridge and produce a 6.5 Grendel AR15) then I would certainly assume they work. Unfortunately its hard to try various mags in Colorado because we have an unjust 15 round mag limit. But Local gun stores are happy to order them and/or carry them, you just can't find them in Big Box stores.
So I'm confused; did you get 15 round Elanders then?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I'm confused; did you get 15 round Elanders then?
Sorry for the confusion. No, I got 15 of the 30 round mags (technically 24-26 for 6.5 Grendel). As long as you order through a local gun store, companies are willing to ship full capacity mags while they won't if you try to order them yourself. The big box stores won't carry them or order them either. Kind of a bummer for getting the absolute best price, but at least there are still ways around the unconstitutional edicts of this stupid state.

An interesting side note: Something like 30 of the 32 Sherrifs in the state have said they will refuse to enforce the mag limit. I only live 1 hour from the Wyoming border so it would be easy enough to drive to Cheyenne and get mags anyway.

I recently watched a Military Arms Channel video on YouTube and Tim said you can run 6.5 Grendel through 6.8 SPC II mags as well. Havent verified that for myself but could be another alternative.

801 - 807 of 807 Posts