XCR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded the iSnipe ballistics calculator today from http://isnipe.webdiligence.ca/. It's a pretty handy app for long range shooters. Combined with my Kestrel 4500 it should make for some fun trips to the long range.

It allows you to save profiles for your loads so you can quickly pull them up and enter the environmental conditions. My only complaint is you can't enter altitude, barometric pressure or humidity. Online look up of commercial loads from a database would be nice too but not essential.

There is another app in development that looks better called iXbal but I don't think it's available yet http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=627922

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a mount for your iPhone/iTouch and a new Application called BulletFlight from Knight's Armament Co. >:D

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, I saw that over at ST and they said the same thing, need Altitude and Bar pressure but other than that a neat little application.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I'm still waiting for someone to put it all together in a digital scope. High quality optics with a high resolution CCD. With your load and rifle info. already in the scope just hold boresite on target, push one button and all your calculations are made (distance, inclination, T, baro, humidity, wind...), and the digital reticle is adjusted. Then just place the crosshairs on the target and pull the trigger.

Then of course there is extreme range sniping, but that's a whole other problem. I mean you have to be able to see someone 4 miles away before you can hit them with something.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I bought iSnipe and was waiting for the developer to put in the updates that will allow you to enter atmospheric info, but there is another app newly released called Ballistic that already has that ability. Here's a link to the iTunes location:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300045171&mt=8

and this is the developer's web site with TONS of info about the app and future updates:

http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/

I've downloaded it and it's really very cool. It even has built-in profiles for just about every projectile you can think of, including variable BCs based on velocity. It's not the prettiest app, but it does what it needs to do very well as far as I can tell.

The "introductory price" is still $3.99.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought iSnipe and was waiting for the developer to put in the updates that will allow you to enter atmospheric info, but there is another app newly released called Ballistic that already has that ability. Here's a link to the iTunes location:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300045171&mt=8

and this is the developer's web site with TONS of info about the app and future updates:

http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/

I've downloaded it and it's really very cool. It even has built-in profiles for just about every projectile you can think of, including variable BCs based on velocity. It's not the prettiest app, but it does what it needs to do very well as far as I can tell.

The "introductory price" is still .99.

I just got the Ballistic App too and it's awesome.  Best $4 I've spent in a long time and way better than iSnipe.  The range log is a great feature.  You can record and save the info about your trip to the range (day, time, field conditions etc) and even mark bullet holes on a variety of target types by dragging and dropping them.  Very cool.   

·
Registered
142 Posts
Another cool app that works decently well but, could use a few more updates is Surefire's Shot Timer app. Pretty much like your regular shot timer but, free for now.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Another cool app that works decently well but, could use a few more updates is Surefire's Shot Timer app. Pretty much like your regular shot timer but, free for now.
I agree, but don't get your hopes up. Most of the apps in iTunes that were developed by big companies are never updated beyond their initial release. I think these manufacturers were told it was a good way to get their name on the App Store and then they just drop any further development.

Still, it is free, and that's not bad.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have to ask the question: Why do you need an iphone on your rifle? What is the function? Or is it just another cool toy to say "look at me" ;D... Sorry, but seriously I am not a long range shooter, I'm happy when the bullet hits the paper in the dark part of the silhouette. :uzi: How usefull is this infomation?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have to ask the question: Why do you need an iphone on your rifle? What is the function? Or is it just another cool toy to say "look at me" ;D... Sorry, but seriously I am not a long range shooter, I'm happy when the bullet hits the paper in the dark part of the silhouette. :uzi: How usefull is this infomation?
I don't think the manufacturers of that iPhone mount would vouch for the recoil rating of the iPhone. If you mount your phone to a rifle and it breaks, too bad for you. It's a neat idea (Ballistic has a built-in LOS angle detection that tells you the angle to the target for trajectory purposes), but probably not a good idea in practice.

For extremely long ranges, the information from a ballistics calculator is very important. It can account for atmospheric conditions and give you the exact elevation and windage adjustments to get your bullets in the center of the target, not just "in the dark part."

·
Registered
986 Posts
This is for those over 400m shots, when you want to reach out and touch someone? I understand, please excuse my sarcasm... I have bunch young guys here are always showing off their iphone...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
This is for those over 400m shots, when you want to reach out and touch someone? I understand, please excuse my sarcasm... I have bunch young guys here are always showing off their iphone...
Exactly.

For instance, I've built a quick profile for Federal Gold Medal Match ammo in .308. Ballistic tells me that I will hit inside a 10 diameter circle out to 207 meters with no adjustment to the scope (based on a 100 yard zero). Beyond that it tells me the exact bullet drop for each of my predetermined ranges (every 50 meters out to 600m). It tells me the drop in inches and mils, so all I have to do is spin my elevation turret the correct amount (I love the milrad turrets on my Falcon scope) and the bullet should pass through the center of the target at any range I choose.

Inside of a couple hundred yards I don't have to worry about missing a 10-inch plate (or a human-sized torso) with no scope adjustments.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to ask the question: Why do you need an iphone on your rifle?  What is the function? Or is it just another cool toy to say "look at me" ;D...  Sorry, but seriously I am not a long range shooter, I'm happy when the bullet hits the paper in the dark part of the silhouette.  :uzi:  How usefull is this infomation?
I put the pic of the iPhone mount up and think it's ridiculous though I didn't make it clear in the post.  It's completely impractical and looks like it would just be in the wall all the time. 

That said, I do love the ballistic calculators.  I don't do a whole hell of a lot of long range shooting but I do hunt with a wide variety of calibers and bullets for each so simply having the ballistic info handy is well worth the $4 for me.  Sure beats lugging around the Ammo & Ballistic book.  It came in handy on a recent shot with a very sharp angle.  Though I didn't whip the iPhone out I had been studying the chart and playing with the field variables on the flight out and it paid off.  :2cents:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I may get an iTouch jsut to play around with this and other cool toys.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I may get an iTouch just to play around with this and other cool toys.
That's what I'm using and the apps compatible....after I paid the $20 to upgrade my gen 1 iTouch to be able to get apps. :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts