XCR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been obsessing over the XCR-M in 308 cal. but after doing some
on-line research it seems the 6.5 Grendel is as good or better.
Why get a 308? For ammo availability? Ammo price? I don't know.
The XCR in 6.5 is coming before the XCR-M, So do I get the 6.5 for
my long range work? I love the 556 version of the XCR but am looking
for more punch.
I guess I'm looking for someone with any time spent with the 6.5
to tell me if it is all that.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I take the 308 cause its bigger bore and more suited for big game hunting than the 6.5. (And I mean bigger stuff like Elk or Moose) I like target shooting but I have been waiting for a 308 black rifle that was non-restricted for years so that I may hunt with it. As it stands no black rifle in canada can be used to shoot at anything but targets at an approved range. That is until the XCR-M comes provided it has an 18.5 inch or longer barrel. That sir is why I want the XCR-M and I guess the ease of ammo availability is nice too. This is every Canadian who has dreamed of hunting with a black rifle dream come true as it is mine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i've done a little shooting in 6.5 grendel in an encore rifle. if your primary reason for getting a grendel is hunting, stick to medium sized game, deer or smaller. if your looking for bigger game, moose or elk, stick to the bigger cartridges. for target shooting, the grendel with the proper bullet is quite good at putting holes close together on your target. self defense or plinking? 123 gr SMK's have shown to do well in gel tests, wolf steel cased ammo is coming soon. ammo isn't as cheap as 7.62, but its getting better. still, its going to be your decision, so shoot both and pick what works best for you. ;D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not to worried about big game. I live in Hawaii we only have goat, pig and dear.
So I figure that the caliber is sufficient, I was really curious about the long range
accuracy.
I still want a good 308 this year so it will probably a DSA FAL, unless somebody
can reccomend something better that won't break the bank.

Thanks all

1 - 4 of 4 Posts