XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know very little about this caliber, I am deciding whether or not to buy the kit in addition to my 5.56 and start to reload this caliber. Anyway I saw a box of 40 round count Winchester 123 gr fmj at WalMart for $21.00. I think for reloading this might be an okay deal? My friends who don't reload say to just go buy bulk (2000 rounds) of steel cased ammo somewhere which I think may be easier said than done. I reload for all of my handgun and hunting rifle calibers. I just don't know if I "need" another new caliber. If I did choose to I ended up on the 7.62 over the 6.5 and 6.8

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Gunner can chme in here but I suspect for plinking Russian will be cheaper. You might want to reload for accuracy but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

G

·
buying ammo on the internet couldnt be any easier. pick it, pay it, send ID and un pack it. buying x39 locally in quantity is usually a waste of time for most folks.

$21/40 is about 2.5 times the going rate for ammo. there is just no need to pay that much unless you get some premuim defense expanding ammo like Corbon or something.

try to keep your price under $.20 a round. most new commercial steel case ammo is reloadable as well. IF your x39 gun wont shoot steel case ammo then you need to sell it and buy an AK.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I handload my hunting rounds only. And yes, for deer sized animals and under, it is a good short range round. Coyotes hate me! For my target/plinking rounds I stick with military surplus. It's cheap and shoots reliably. :2cents:

1,000 rounds for $179.95 is a good buy, but be sure to buy a "can opener" with the first case buy. Without the opener it is a pure bitch to open. :duh:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Get the 7.62 x 39 kit. As you can see by the previous posts ammo in this caliber is plentiful and cheap.

I bought a 6.8 XCR (ammo available but not plentiful or cheap) because I own three weapons that shoot 7.62 x 39. I do not regret owning them and because of the ammo situation right now they get shot a lot. ;D

CMD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts