XCR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MI rear BUIS and it seems to have developed a wobble (side to side). It is only slight, but enough that it aggravates me. I'm not 100% sure it wasn't always like that, but I haven't dropped it or abused it in any way. The clamps are TIGHT and mounted correctly.

Does anyone else have this issue with MI?

I originally looked at Troy and did not pick one up, as I didn't like the 1/2 clamp on the left side. It seemed better to have a full rail clamp like the MI.

Does anyone make a BUIS that locks in both the down and up position?

Does this even matter? Is the emphasis on rapid deployment - such that locked DOWN would prevent this?

What do y'all prefer for BUIS at this point - and why?

Price is not a factor for reliabilty in my mind.

I'll go for a matched set, or mix and match if it gets me something solid and relatively easy to adjust.

Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm going to buy the plastic Magpul BUIS's. They are 100 bucks for both compared to 200-250 bucks. I never use em all that much and wasting 250 bucks is dumb. 250 bucks buys a lot of ammo :)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I have the newer MI lower profile....no wobble.

I also have several sets of Troys.....expensive, but more solid feeling than MIs.

Do you absolutely need it to fold? If so, Troy's are rock solid (but again, super expensive).

If you don't need folding....try HK sights (if you like the circle on circle arrangement....I do).

Or, you can try AR height HK style sights from Centurion Arms.... http://centurionarms.com/products/p007_sights_c4_diopter.html

Another option is LaRue or Daniel Defense rear sight for a rail.....and a fixed LMT A style post up front....or a matching LMT rear post...I'd replace the thumb screw with an allen head though.

HTH,
Sean

·
Registered
129 Posts
My MI rear is rock-solid. What irritates me is that the front post doesn't have enough adjustment for the higher mount vs AR. I just filed it down about 1/8". As soon as I can get to the range, I'll see how it works.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Got the Troys on mine. I think you could hammer nails with them and nothing would move.

tk

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have the YHM that I bought with the rifle and they don't move.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Red, maybe you should contact MI and see what they have to say. They would probably swap it out for a new one.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Red, maybe you should contact MI and see what they have to say. They would probably swap it out for a new one.
Thanks for all your (combined) input.

I think I will follow this suggestion and contact MI.

I just remembered :duh: that I have another (NIB) set and will compare the two and report back.

In the meantime, I will consider the options listed and work from there.

Anyone have a GG&G setup? They look to be reasonably well made.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
One of my MI rear sights has a little wobble. It's nothing I worry about because as long as the spring pushes it back into battery it doesn't matter. It's just like the A2 rear sight base. Sure it moves when you push on it but the spring keeps it in place, if it moves during recoil, who cares!

My Troy's are solid and my buddy has some GGG's that are nice too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
One of my MI rear sights has a little wobble. It's nothing I worry about because as long as the spring pushes it back into battery it doesn't matter. It's just like the A2 rear sight base. Sure it moves when you push on it but the spring keeps it in place, if it moves during recoil, who cares!
I think the OP was worried about side-to-side wobble. Sounds like you're describing front-to-back? If so, mine also has a bit of F-B play. I called MI and they said that it's designed this way -- a spring-loaded ball returns the sight forward after recoil Apparently they've tried to engineer out the play bu came back to this design as more reliable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts