XCR Forum banner

JOIN THE NRA, HELP SAVE OUR RIGHTS

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  aziator 
Devil Doc - I'm a long time NRA member, and am in no way bashing you - but where did a statistic like that "2%..." come from?

My issues with the NRA have to do primarily with their HUGE WASTE of money trying to get "us" to send "them" more money.

I've written them and asked that they quit sending me junk mail, that I am a dedicated 2nd Amendment supporter, donate whenever I can - and as much as I can afford - and would appreciate it if they limited their correspondence to a monthly/quarterly review of their successful legislative actions. I still get junk mail several times a month...

I preach safety and work diligently to convert the "anti-gunners" I work and associate with, so that they understand guns are not evil, and are an essential element of not only our past - but key to our ability to remain free.

I further realize I am preaching to the choir here - but that percentage is either wildly inaccurate - or the math formula used to determine the percentage has some sort of variable I don't understand.

Again - not a criticism - just a casual point and no offense meant!

Chocolate chip!

But seriously, I'm not against spending $35 on the NRA membership - and in fact, I give gift memberships (4 or 5) every year to people I meet who seem to have an interest in guns but don't have a clue where to start. As such - I figure I'll "donate" to the cause, and if just ONE of those I sign up decides to join the fight - then I feel a sense of accomplishment. My girlfriend was (mostly) anti-gun, so I got her an NRA membership. SHe too was inundated with junk mail - so my volume doubled.

She also commented how the mail seemed "propaganda like" - so in an effort to tone it down, I toss the NRA-ILA stuff and make sure she only sees the NRA magazines. She likes them, because they are not as aggressive from a political standpoint.

Am I filtering her NRA mail? Yup - but what I am filtering is the flyers that scream "THE DEMOCRATS WANT TO TAKE AWAY YOUR FREEDOM" aspect. You see, she is a stone cold democrat, and this should be about protecting our rights, not about what political party you affiliate yourself with. I know plenty of democrats that are strong 2nd Amendment supporters - and probably an equal number of republicans that could care less.

I should save the NRA junk mail for a whole year, then drive down to NRA HQ (about 55 minutes from me) and show them what the results are. I'd venture to say they spend way more than $35 on pruducing that stuff...

Still, I'm pro-NRA and was a GOA member for a while (can't recall exactly why I dropped them), but I believe that if ALL the 2nd Amendment support organizations narrowed their focus to the issues at hand, and told us how they are fighting, and how we can help - I think we'd all be so much better off. :2cents:

I appreciate the dialogue with you, and I'm stepping down off the soapbox now.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.