XCR Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22,804 Posts
Hmm. If it's a type 3 gas, I wonder if there's too much gas even on setting 0. On my Ls setting 0 is usually a blank spot on the selector dial, so your relying on the small amount of gas going around the gas plug to cycle the system. I usually try to get 10-15ft ejection but I haven't seen one beat to death like your case, yet. With that short of ejection, which I consider the higher side of normal, I would not have expected the bolt failure. On the L turned all the way up I've seen 60ish ft ejection, but that was just to show people how bad it is to run the gun over-gassed. Could you see marks in the lower where the recoil buffer hit the back? I wouldn't expect catastrophic failure with 15ft ejection.
I'm not convinced it's that hard on things to have them gassed up....if buffer condition is any indication.

I regularly have 20'+ ejection dialed in on the Type 1 gas system and Type 1 bcg/buffer....none of my buffers look bad at all.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Someone mentioned using setting zero. When I run setting zero my XCR does not cycle — it’s essentially bolt action. Is that what happens for others? I’ve assumed that 1 is. Starting point for suppressed shooting and if I’m getting partial cycling with a given ammunition I go up to 2.

·
Registered
22,804 Posts
Someone mentioned using setting zero. When I run setting zero my XCR does not cycle — it’s essentially bolt action. Is that what happens for others? I’ve assumed that 1 is. Starting point for suppressed shooting and if I’m getting partial cycling with a given ammunition I go up to 2.
Consider yourself lucky....the original design was such that 0 was an effective bolt gun.....lately, that hasn't been the case, but I'd prefer if zero didn't eject a spent case.

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm starting to wonder if we should call search and rescue?
I could really use the laugh.

Is a few days kinda like 2 weeks to flatten the curve?

Hah! Feels so good to be missed!

The particulars are buried a little further up, but basically I tried to suppress a gun which I thought was suppressible (cause adjustable gas!) and Alex, I mean, "Robarm CS" told me that I couldn't and that doing so had ruined the BCG of a 9.5" 308. Gun was fixed, and sent back, runs flawless....lesson learned.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hah! Feels so good to be missed!

The particulars are buried a little further up, but basically I tried to suppress a gun which I thought was suppressible (cause adjustable gas!) and Alex, I mean, "Robarm CS" told me that I couldn't and that doing so had ruined the BCG of a 9.5" 308. Gun was fixed, and sent back, runs flawless....lesson learned.
So that's why I got low marks and comprehensive reading. Thanks for explaining that for me

21 - 27 of 27 Posts