XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great timing, the kit just showed up today and I have to leave on a business trip tomorrow. But I'm just glad to finally have the kit in hand.

The kit contained the new barrel, a new hammer spring, a new bolt, , one magazine and a new recoil block. I presume the new spring and recoil block will work for both the 5.56 and 7.62. I'll be back home next Friday and hope to install the conversion and get to the range over the weekend.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I got my kit today.

:party:

New hammer spring, but NO new hammer. Did I miss something? I thought the kit would include the heavy hammer. If the spring does the trick then all is well and I won't mess up my Bill Springfield trigger job.

Hopefully I'll get it out this weekend and run some of that suspect Golden Tiger through it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The new spring does the job.I have had computer problems that is why I have not posted a range report or pictures.The conversion kit is GREAT,it is like having a whole new rifle.The spring is easy to install,even with these stiff hands.My computer will be ready on Sat.this is an old back up and slow as hell.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ok, so I got a bit of time today to test out the kit. First the good news:

The spring installation is really simple compared to an AR. I like the retaining clip for the pin vs a friction fit like on an AR. Once the clip is out the pin slides easily, no pounding on your lower to get it out.

Once the XCR was reassembled with the 7.62 x 39 kit and new hammer spring, I dry fired it a few times to make sure everything was normal. It was, and the Bill Springfield trigger job was normal with the new spring in place. :)

I load the mag, and as expected, my LULA loader does not work with 7.62 It does not push the cartridges low enough. The mag is easy to load by hand, probably the easiest mag to load I have. It looks like C-Products has the quality worked out, as the feed lips did not have any of the issues previously mentioned here, and the follower did not seem to be binding on anything.

So off to my backyard range, which is a bit over grown, and took while to hike to. I'm not sure what is creeper than hiking through a corn field. Let's just say that on the way out I went around the corn.

From 50 yards I shot this group kneeling:

Note how it is shooting a bit lower than the 5.56 my EOTech was zeroed for. As for the grouping, It was similar to what I'd get out of 5.56 in that shooting position. I'm not that steady and I'm probably not 20/20 right now.

The gas setting was on 4 the whole time. I'd say the recoil was slightly more than 5.56, but will be curious to see how it is on the lower settings. My Golden Tiger fired without issue and was ejecting 15 feet or more. I did not recover any of the cases to check the primer strikes.

At the end of the first mag I fired a few double taps, not nearly as controllable as the 5.56 so I reloaded for a bit more practice.... That leads me to the bad news:

Let's just say my Bill Springfield trigger job is NOT ok with the new spring. :eek:

I'm either in the market for a new hammer, new match trigger, or shipping it back to Bill. One things for sure, my 7.62 round count will stay at 60 for awhile. :'(

So, those with trigger jobs may want to approach the new spring with caution. Other than that, I like the kit and cant' wait to shoot it some more.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
You need the grip screw to take out that heavy first stage of the trigger pull.If you do that I promise you it will feel so much better
I did my own trigger and it consisted of nothing more than the grip screw and simply polishing the sear/trigger engagement surfaces with a buffing wheel on a dremal and some polishing compound.
The purpose of the grip screw is that it goes through the frame and pushes up slightly on the tail of the trigger,which in turn takes the hammer spring weight out of the equation,making it unnecessary to have to pull through the weight/tension of that spring.
If you want to get an idea of what I mean.Take off the upper and hold the lower across your lap,using your normal trigger finger,and while blocking the hammer from hitting the frame,try the trigger a few times.Now hold down just slightly on the hammer with your non firing grip hand and try the trigger again.By doing this you can feel about what it's like to alleviate the tension of the hammer spring on the trigger weight.
The grip screw mod is fairly simple and if you want any more info I'll be glad to help.Hope this helps.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
447 Posts
So right after you installed the new spring, the trigger felt like it did before the spring install, but after you took it to the range it felt different? I don't quite understand.
Let me see if I can explain the issue a bit better.

For a normal, or normal for me, trigger pull the disconnector catches and releases at the proper point in the trigger travel. Or at least it appears normal.

However, when I shorten the stroke I appears that there is a gap between the hammer releasing and the disconnector engaging. If I can keep the trigger in this gap I'll get the failure. I'm not certain what is going on.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anybody know if the new ejector block is okay to leave on when switching back to 5.56? I've been so busy I still have had a chance to install the new kit and get to the range.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I leave my 6.8 block on mine all the time. It puts the 6.8 brass at 2 o'clock and the 5.56 right at 3 oclock. Shoot it and see where it puts it. I don't mind my 5.56 brass going out directly to the right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts