XCR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy shit! The AA branded brass is .63 a pop, and the other stuff is 1.00 each?? Is this right? Is that as good as it gets?

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
yeah the new stuff is like that.

there are guys on falfiles selling once fired LC brass for $100 per 1000 for 762x51 and $100 per 2000 for 556x45

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I'm talking about 6.5 Grendel. Sorry about that... I was looking on Midway.

6.8spc is around half that price.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
That's nothing. My .338 Lapua barss is $2.11 each.

Anything not in great circulation is always going to be expensive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can buy loaded Wolf 6.5 Grendal ammo for about the same price as AA brass. Why not buy the Wolfe and reload the spent brass.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If you are buying 6.5 brass to reload, STAY AWAY from Wolf. You get what you pay for in this case & caliber. Wolf brass is not that great. I recommend the Alexander Arms as it is QUALITY brass and thus worth the money. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Wolf Gold brass is bad? I've never tried any, but I have a long time handloading buddy who recently got into 6.5x55 swiss, and that is where he got all his brass. I haven't heard any complaints about it before?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have no doubt that AA/Lapua brass is much better than Wolf brass. You can always buy AA loaded ammo and get the brass that way.

But, I've seen some decent reviews of Wolfe 6.5 Grendal MPT ammo and it's about the same price as AA/Lapua unprimed brass. Even if you can only reload it 2-3 times, or can only use it for plinking, it still seems like a good buy.

I would love to see some first hand reports though, as the cost of 6.5 Grendal ammo is the only thing keeping me from buy a 6.5 conversion kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been shooting my Grendel for over 2 years with both AA or Lapua brass and the Wolf brass. The AA or Lapua is the best you can buy and you pay for it. I have been reloading both and have 5 reloads on the Wolf brass with out any problems. I have lost a few pieces with lose primer pockets but nothing more serious than that. I do not use it for my hottest loads but for everything else it works fine. If I was just starting to get brass I would buy the newest Wolf load the 120gr. MPT load and use the brass from that. Buy a hundred pieces of AA brass for max loads and go shoot. The Alexander Arms website has specific loading data for the Wolf brass, so you can start there with finding loads to work with. http://www.alexanderarms.com/grendel_reloading.htm

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
What I forgot to mention is Wolf brass uses LARGE Rifle primers, everyone else uses SMALL rifle primers. The load data IS DIFFERENT. Visit the Alexander Arms web site for reload info. :2cents:

I bought a bunch of Remington 6.8 brass (LARGE rifle primer) when I first got into 6.8 reloading. To be consistent I stay with Remington brass so I won't mix large and small rifle cases together. Quality of brass in 6.8 is pretty much the same (NOT with Wolf compared) so it is up to the shooter to choose. However, one could have an "adventure" reloading mixed cases. :duh:

I would make the same decision with the 6.5, choose one primer size and stick with it. I personally, would choose the small rifle primer for this caliber as the brass available is superior. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I think I would rather have small primers, so maybe I will just pony up for AA brass.

I'm still relatively new to reloading, and all my brass so far has come from factory loads from ammo that I already bought before in loaded form, so, I have never really spent any time brass shopping. I thought this stuff was supposed to be cheaper!

That sure makes 6.8 look better all of a sudden.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not sure 6.8 SPC is much better on the large vs small primer issue. Gunner, doesn't Silver State use small primers in their 6.8 SPC rounds?

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Going large was something to do with cold weather performance.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I'm not sure 6.8 SPC is much better on the large vs small primer issue. Gunner, doesn't Silver State use small primers in their 6.8 SPC rounds?
I think SSA started out with large primers but changed to small primers. They are now small Primers, I think Remington is the only Large primer 6.8 SPC but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
For the brass, go AA or Lapua and then if you only have the one 6.5, load a little below max and neck size only. This way you will get an accurate load and your brass will have a longer life then if you do a full length resize.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Interesting method they have going. I don't shoot 7.62X39 but I pick up all the brass (the real brass that is boxer primed) for it when I see it at the range. Maybe I can try this with those if I ever get a G.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts