XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as a general rule, i read this section but don't post in it. I thought however this could make for some interesting discussion. Apparently someone at the Arkansas Times took it upon themselves to post the full names of all CCL holders along with their addresses in a searchable document. Here's the email i recieved:

Friends,

If you own a gun or have a concealed carry license, you have been assaulted. Max Brantley, Managing Editor, of the Arkansas Times, took it upon himself to acquire the list of those who have an Arkansas concealed carry license and then posted their names and addresses to the Arkansas Times’ website.

Mr. Brantley stated on KARN radio yesterday morning that he would do it again. If we do not stand strong NOW, there will be more assaults headed our way. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, THIS IS SERIOUS, folks. Ask yourself: What was his purpose? He is one of many who want to expose those who own guns, not to mention to expose those who did the right thing, took the course to learn the rules and how to shoot in order to protect their family and home. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND PUTS PEOPLES’ LIVES IN DANGER!! http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2009/02/annals_of_gun_nuttery.aspx *

§5-73-307. List of license holders. (a) The Department of Arkansas State Police shall maintain an automated listing of license holders and this information shall be available on-line, upon request, at any time, to any law enforcement agency through the Arkansas Crime Information Center. (Didn't realize that Max Brantley is now considered law enforcement.)

Please take action - Pick the steps you are comfortable with or do them all…

1) The Arkansas Concealed Carry Assoc (ARCCA) is working the issue with lawmakers in session as well as the ASP (Arkansas State Police). Stay informed: http://www.arkansascca.org/blog/.
2) If you are an NRA member call/email them. Here is the NRA hotline – 1-800-392-8683
3) The most important step to truly make a difference is to call the Arkansas Times’ advertisers -- the ones where you shop. Let those businesses know you won't be shopping with them anymore so long as they advertise in a publication that puts people's lives in danger by disclosing private information.

The Peabody Restaurant, 501-906-4000
Whole Hog Cafe, 501-664-5025
USA Drug, SEVERAL LOCATIONS
Cafe 1217 (Hot Springs), 501-318-1094
Enterprise Financial Solutions, LLC, 1-888.700.1414
Sysco Arkansas, 1-800-827-3411
Riverdale 10 Cinemas, 501-296-9468
BMW of Little Rock, 501-224-3200
Plantation Services, 501.821.5770
Lanai Apartments, 501.664-2303
Grandpa's Catfish House (Sherwood), 501-834-5400
Copper Grill and Grocery (Downtown LR), 501-375-3333
Rheem Marathon Water Heaters
Ben E. Keith Co. Food Services, 1-800-777-2356
Electric Cooperatives of Arkansas (http://www.ecark.org/)
Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, 501-683-3593
Stoby's Restaurant (Conway/Russellville, AR)
Momma Dean's Soul Food (Fayetteville), 479-251-1210
Flying Saucer Bar and Restaurant (downtown LR), 501-372-PINT
Colonial Wine and Spirits, 866-988-VINO
Rod's Pizza Cellar (Hot Springs), 501-624-RODS
The Fish House (Conway), 877-661-3474
Pepsi Co. Bruno's Little Italy (Scott Wallace), 501-224-4700
La Hacienda Mexican Restaurants (Hot Springs), 501-525-8203
Dondie's River Restaurant (Des Arc), 870-256-3311
Cheer's Restaurant, 501-663-5937
Cheer's Restaurant (Maumelle), 501-851-6200
The Faded Rose Restaurants, 501-663-9734
IHOP Restaurant(s)
Doe's Eat Place, 501-376-1195
Pesto Cafe (Fayetteville), 479-582-3330
Cajun Boilers Restaurant (Hot Springs), 501-767-5695
SALUT! Restaurant, 501-660-4200
Ristaurante Capeo, 501-376-3463
Mud Street Cafe (Eureka Springs), 470-253-6732
Lilly's Dim Sum Then Some, 501-716-2700
The Cheese Corner Delicatessen (Hot Springs), 501-624-3040
Bobby's Country Cooking, 501-224-9500
Jade China Restaurant (Conway), 501-329-5121
Holly's Country Cooking (Conway), 501-328-9738
Taziki's Greek Fare, 501-227-8291
Sonny Williams Steak Room (River Market-LR), 501-324-2999
Rolando's Ristaurante (Hot Springs), 501-318-6054
Lulav Modern Eatery, 501-374-5100
Sticky Fingers Bar (Downtown LR), 501-372-7707
Layla's Mediterranean Cuisine, 501-227-7272
Bill Valentine's Restaurant (Dickey Stephens Park), 501-324-2255
Panda Garden Buffet, 501-224-8100
Copeland's Famous New Orleans Restaurant, 501-312-1616
Casa Manana, 501-280-9888
New Delhi Cafe (Eureka Springs), 470-253-2525

WE CANNOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY, this is an assault to our second amendment and on our privacy. This is your chance to make a difference – take action today!

*The excel file with the list was removed from his site but it was posted long enough for criminals and those that mean gun owners harm to get a copy of it.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
This has occurred on numerous occasions in different states, and seems to be part of a "push-back" against concealed carry laws. The newspapers perceive concealed carry as being a public safety threat, so they post the names of the folks who have the permits.

In response, several states (like my home state of florida) have exempted the info from the state's public records laws, so that the lists CAN'T be published. Florida also recently passed a law recognizing that vehicles are extensions of people's homes, and that while businesses could prevent employees and customers from CCW inside their buildings, they could not prohibit CCW holders from stashing their weapons in their cars while on the premises.

tk

·
Registered
113 Posts
There are newspapers in this state that have printed lists of CCW holders along with their addresses.

In response, some of the gun ownership rights groups have published the names, addresses, etc of the reporters, editors, and publishers of the newspapers.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
seems fair to me.....

·
Registered
702 Posts
Let's see, Joe robber is thinking of going out this evening and robbing someone's house. Do you think he will pick a house that looks like an easy pushover or will he look at the list and pick a house where the CCW holder is most likely ready, armed, and willing to defend his life, property and the lives of his loved ones? You do the math.

I used to live in Kennesaw, GA where it was a city ordnance that everyone that is not leagally prohibited "must" have a firearm in the house. This law was well known throughout the state. What do you think the violent crime and home invasion rate was in that city. ZERO, that's correct, ambolutley zero. Why would you try to do harm to someone who is most likely better armed than you are?

Just my .02,
MadDog :2cents:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used to live in Kennesaw, GA where it was a city ordnance that everyone that is not leagally prohibited "must" have a firearm in the house. This law was well known throughout the state. What do you think the violent crime and home invasion rate was in that city. ZERO, that's correct, ambolutley zero. Why would you try to do harm to someone who is most likely better armed than you are?

Just my .02,
No shit! I live in Acworth right now. It is very funny how that works, Kennesaw sits right in between Acworth and Marietta, both of which have average crime rates, and just south is Atlanta which has a stupidly high crime rate. Yet Kennesaw, sitting right in the middle, is like a peaceful little bubble. It is like any criminal that tries to enter that bubble gets shot.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I moved out of that safe little bubble (there wasn't shit to do in that town) to Cottonwood, UT which is beautiful with plenty of things to do (especially if you ski). Crime rate in Cottonwood is pretty low also.

Dog :rockon:

·
Registered
22,390 Posts
Let's see, Joe robber is thinking of going out this evening and robbing someone's house. Do you think he will pick a house that looks like an easy pushover or will he look at the list and pick a house where the CCW holder is most likely ready, armed, and willing to defend his life, property and the lives of his loved ones? You do the math.

Just my .02,
Or, if the dirt bag has half a brain, he carefully cases these gun owners homes and schedules....and when they leave, he may get some good firearms to sell on the black market for the commission of crimes that can't be traced back to anyone but the CCW holder (assuming the gun owner doesn't have a proper gun safe and/or security system).

If nothing else, it underlines the fact that we should all have a good safe and probably also a security system....though that may bring on the home invasions (better that than an easy break in and theft b/c you don't have a safe.....at least you'll have a fighting chance).

I am still VERY much against this sort of publication of your personal information. Unfortunately, in most states it's public record so you have very little recourse.....save petitioning your state reps and getting a law passed.
Sean

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
This type of thing REALLY TICKS ME OFF! I had never thought of anyone doing something like this, nor do I think it should be legal. If I am not mistaken (and I WILL take the time to find out) disclosing licensing information in the State of NC, is against the law. IF it isn't, it certainly should be! IN EVERY STATE!! :2cents:
SINKER

Ok, as a general rule, i read this section but don't post in it. I thought however this could make for some interesting discussion. Apparently someone at the Arkansas Times took it upon themselves to post the full names of all CCL holders along with their addresses in a searchable document. Here's the email i recieved:

Friends,

If you own a gun or have a concealed carry license, you have been assaulted. Max Brantley, Managing Editor, of the Arkansas Times, took it upon himself to acquire the list of those who have an Arkansas concealed carry license and then posted their names and addresses to the Arkansas Times’ website.

Mr. Brantley stated on KARN radio yesterday morning that he would do it again. If we do not stand strong NOW, there will be more assaults headed our way. PLEASE UNDERSTAND, THIS IS SERIOUS, folks. Ask yourself: What was his purpose? He is one of many who want to expose those who own guns, not to mention to expose those who did the right thing, took the course to learn the rules and how to shoot in order to protect their family and home. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND PUTS PEOPLES’ LIVES IN DANGER!! http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2009/02/annals_of_gun_nuttery.aspx *

§5-73-307. List of license holders. (a) The Department of Arkansas State Police shall maintain an automated listing of license holders and this information shall be available on-line, upon request, at any time, to any law enforcement agency through the Arkansas Crime Information Center. (Didn't realize that Max Brantley is now considered law enforcement.)

Please take action - Pick the steps you are comfortable with or do them all…

1) The Arkansas Concealed Carry Assoc (ARCCA) is working the issue with lawmakers in session as well as the ASP (Arkansas State Police). Stay informed: http://www.arkansascca.org/blog/.
2) If you are an NRA member call/email them. Here is the NRA hotline – 1-800-392-8683
3) The most important step to truly make a difference is to call the Arkansas Times’ advertisers -- the ones where you shop. Let those businesses know you won't be shopping with them anymore so long as they advertise in a publication that puts people's lives in danger by disclosing private information.

The Peabody Restaurant, 501-906-4000
Whole Hog Cafe, 501-664-5025
USA Drug, SEVERAL LOCATIONS
Cafe 1217 (Hot Springs), 501-318-1094
Enterprise Financial Solutions, LLC, 1-888.700.1414
Sysco Arkansas, 1-800-827-3411
Riverdale 10 Cinemas, 501-296-9468
BMW of Little Rock, 501-224-3200
Plantation Services, 501.821.5770
Lanai Apartments, 501.664-2303
Grandpa's Catfish House (Sherwood), 501-834-5400
Copper Grill and Grocery (Downtown LR), 501-375-3333
Rheem Marathon Water Heaters
Ben E. Keith Co. Food Services, 1-800-777-2356
Electric Cooperatives of Arkansas (http://www.ecark.org/)
Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, 501-683-3593
Stoby's Restaurant (Conway/Russellville, AR)
Momma Dean's Soul Food (Fayetteville), 479-251-1210
Flying Saucer Bar and Restaurant (downtown LR), 501-372-PINT
Colonial Wine and Spirits, 866-988-VINO
Rod's Pizza Cellar (Hot Springs), 501-624-RODS
The Fish House (Conway), 877-661-3474
Pepsi Co. Bruno's Little Italy (Scott Wallace), 501-224-4700
La Hacienda Mexican Restaurants (Hot Springs), 501-525-8203
Dondie's River Restaurant (Des Arc), 870-256-3311
Cheer's Restaurant, 501-663-5937
Cheer's Restaurant (Maumelle), 501-851-6200
The Faded Rose Restaurants, 501-663-9734
IHOP Restaurant(s)
Doe's Eat Place, 501-376-1195
Pesto Cafe (Fayetteville), 479-582-3330
Cajun Boilers Restaurant (Hot Springs), 501-767-5695
SALUT! Restaurant, 501-660-4200
Ristaurante Capeo, 501-376-3463
Mud Street Cafe (Eureka Springs), 470-253-6732
Lilly's Dim Sum Then Some, 501-716-2700
The Cheese Corner Delicatessen (Hot Springs), 501-624-3040
Bobby's Country Cooking, 501-224-9500
Jade China Restaurant (Conway), 501-329-5121
Holly's Country Cooking (Conway), 501-328-9738
Taziki's Greek Fare, 501-227-8291
Sonny Williams Steak Room (River Market-LR), 501-324-2999
Rolando's Ristaurante (Hot Springs), 501-318-6054
Lulav Modern Eatery, 501-374-5100
Sticky Fingers Bar (Downtown LR), 501-372-7707
Layla's Mediterranean Cuisine, 501-227-7272
Bill Valentine's Restaurant (Dickey Stephens Park), 501-324-2255
Panda Garden Buffet, 501-224-8100
Copeland's Famous New Orleans Restaurant, 501-312-1616
Casa Manana, 501-280-9888
New Delhi Cafe (Eureka Springs), 470-253-2525

WE CANNOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY, this is an assault to our second amendment and on our privacy. This is your chance to make a difference – take action today!

*The excel file with the list was removed from his site but it was posted long enough for criminals and those that mean gun owners harm to get a copy of it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This type of thing REALLY TICKS ME OFF! I had never thought of anyone doing something like this, nor do I think it should be legal.
Interesting you should say that. Our legislature is working on that right now. I don't know if it's going to have the muster to pass yet. Here's the information off www.arkansascca.org/blog/

Concealed Carry Privacy Bill HB 1623 Filed
02 25 2009, 16:06

I posted this an an update but thought it needed a post of its own.

This from KTHV, "An Arkansas lawmaker wants to make the list of people with concealed handgun permits a secret, and punish those who publish the information.

Rep. Randy Stewart, D-Kirby, on Wednesday filed legislation that would make information on concealed-gun permit holders confidential and exempt from the state's open records law. Stewart, a former Olympic shooter who also is a concealed-carry permit instructor, proposed in the legislation that knowingly publishing the list be a misdemeanor punishable by up to $1,000 in fines and up to a year in prison.

Twenty-six states currently keep concealed-carry permit records confidential, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence."

Brummett pulls one of his usual contradictory editorials on the matter. I like how Max says he feels he did the right thing and would do it again but still admits that he took it down out of some legitimate safety concerns. Huh? Doesn't that kind of make our case for us?

Hey Brummett - you don't have "a right" to know who's carrying a concealed firearm. Period.

The whole purpose behind conceaeld carry is the fact that in a society in which the criminals dont know who's armed everyone benefits. The list was published by an irresponsible publication who's sole intent was to intimidate and harrass, with no consideration given to anyone on the list who might face retribution by criminals, employers or neighbors nor was any consideration given to people who have a need to remain secret such as private detectives, security personel, retired police officers, and battered women who have orders of protection against an abusive ex or boyfriend. This list was not published to illustrate a larger point about revocation rates, inconsistancies, or as a public vetting of the information contained therein. There can be no legitimate reason as far as the ARCCA see's it to publishing en mass the full names and addresses of permit holders.

In addition to that recently the Arkansas House killed a bill in committee that would have made the criminal records of public officials available to the public, I find it incomprehensible that our government officials would seek to hide the records of criminals but allow a far more law abiding segment of Arkansas society to be treated like registered sex offenders.

Again here is a link to the bill.

It was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

Call your legislators, urge them to support HB 1623.

UPDATE - HB 1623 is on the agenda to be considered tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts