XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out [video=google;5937681496067804901]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5937681496067804901[/video] video. On the very first extraction, in the 600 FPS part, I can see what looks like brass shavings flying through the air. What would do that? It appears to be happening as, or immediately after, the case is extracted from the chamber.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
That is possible.I'm not sure if I dig the way that thing ejects brass either.It looks like it could F*@k up pretty easy.

·
Registered
702 Posts
don't_tread_on_me:

It ejects brass exactly the same way the FN F2000 and FS2000 do and they have been in service for a number of years now without any problems. And by service I mean European Military service, not just USA civie use.

MadDog :2cents:

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
On the very first extraction, in the 600 FPS part, I can see what looks like brass shavings flying through the air. What would do that?
Perhaps the "brass shavings" are unburned flakes of powder?
I don't think it's powder, there's a pretty good size flat piece that you can see is reflective as it turns in the air. Looks like brass or copper to me.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
It is interesting, that is for sure. Seems like a sound system. I would like to handle one before i pass any judgment.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
errr..... what video.

·
Registered
449 Posts
George Kelgren at Kel-Tec appears to have addressed a number of the niggles with the bullpup format, most noticeably the trigger mechanism and making it as leftie friendly as practical.

I'm waiting on range reports to see how well it does work.

I own up to a hankering for a 26" overall length, 18" barrel .308 lovely.........But the XCR will be my first love....... ;D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It appears to me that it doesn't occur only on the first shot. Here's a larger version:

In the first 300 fps segment, I see what looks like one small flake falling at the bottom left of the screen for each of the first three shots.

In the first 600 fps segment, in addition to three small flakes after the first shot, there is one large flake that falls from the front of the rifle following the last shot.

In the last 600 fps segment, there are small flakes visible with both shots.

Perhaps flakes of brass are being scraped off the cases during the ejection process. That does look like a rough transition for the case as it goes from the extractor into the ejection tube.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
It ejects brass exactly the same way the FN F2000 and FS2000 do and they have been in service for a number of years now without any problems. And by service I mean European Military service, not just USA civie use.
I meant the feed track leading to ejection,not sure if you meant that or not.If so,I still don't think it looks very robust.If it holds up well good deal,appearances can be deceiving.It just look like if it got a good smack on that side it could bend that railing system and gum up the works.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Considering that to show the action cycling they have cut open the entire assembly, I would be surprised if there weren't sharp edges that may shave brass.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Don't_tread_on_me:

What you see in the video in terms of ejection is a cut-out version of the receiver. I have seen videos of the finished product and you can smack the receiver all you want on hard objects and you are not going to hurt or dent the ejection tube.

MadDog

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I don't doubt you Dan.The cutaway might have been why my initial reaction was maybe premature.Until I actually handle one.I shouldn't appear to prejudge.It was only a first impression observation.If they prove to be a sweet as some think it will be,I wouldn't mind owning one. :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Vultite,

The lower is polymer, the cut away working parts are metal.

Disgusting beige color plastic, bits that may be shaving metal in black/gray

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe the feed ramp is shaving them off the case during insertion, and then they get blown out when the case is extracted. I hope it's something that can be corrected, and not something that's intrinsic to the unusual action.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It ejects the same way as the FS2000, and AFAIK the only brass shavings they're finding are coming from the extractor shaving bits off the edge of the rim as the case pivots up. But it looks like the shavings on the first ejection on this rifle are happening too quickly and too violently for that.

Maybe it's bits of debris left over from the cutaway job, getting knocked out by the recoil and any residual chamber pressure?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Neeeh, I'll wait for the first range reports, see what folks have to say about the action/ejection cycle.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts