XCR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just remember the first time I opened a box of 5.56, prior to that all I had shot was 7.62X54R, 7.62X51NATO, .22LR as far as rifle cartridges. Well heres the weak joke.
I opened the big, green, heavy, 50cal metal ammo canister, looked inside grabbed a bullet examined it taking all but 30 seconds. Well what I was thinking this whole time was "What is this a baby bullet?" I kept waiting for it to grow, it never happend, the end.
Also Im not bashing its killing power or anything right now, just remembering the shock that this is what we use, primaraly, to put holes in people that deserve holes...
also a question dose any one else with out fail, take in the smell of the burnt gunpowder when shooting, not really on purpose, but just when you inhale to exhale before a "precision shot"? I do. It always makes me grin a little and reminds me of god... dont know why...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I remember the first time I ordered bullets to reload 5.56 and when I got them thought the same thing...I couldn't believe how little they were, especially out of the brass...

·
Registered
467 Posts
The main thing I remember is how much easier it is to carry a case of .223 as opposed to .308 or 8mm. Better still, how easy it is to carry about 300 rounds of .223 for hours on end, as opposed to .308.

When you get older, you really begin to appreciate that sort of thing! Your lower back in particular.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well when Im old and broken technology will have grown to such that, we will all have our bones replaced with titanium alloy replacements, every one will wair contacts becuse they will do things like grant xray vision thermal, and night vision in full color,and magnificaton to our hearts content, our clothing will be... about the same, but of a different style we will have life span trippling drugs, and drugs that increase the density of our muscles, we'll all laugh at cancer becuse of the simple remedy we're soon to discover... dry wall and fermented almonds blended dryed into powder sold in a capsule...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Funny thing, the first time I saw a .223 round was in 1980 and I went shooting with a friend who had his dad Mini-14, and coincidentially I was 14 (just imagine how ppl react to a couple of 14 y/o shooting alone now). Up until that point the smallest round outside if a .22 LR that I've shot was a 30-30. I usually shot 30.06 out of an old Springfield 1903, and sometimes 308. When I saw the .223 (5.56) I thought, "Oh how cute. A miniature bullet!". Yep, that is exactly what I thought of it as if it wasn't a real round.

Now that's the same thing that I think when I see the .17 HMR and 5.7x28.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL wow I saw a .17 cal early this year, they are so tiny its awsome!!! they shoot way straighter then the .22, at least I think I hit better with it...

·
Registered
161 Posts
with my 17 HMR, i shoot at 100 yds at 1 inch patch squares from shoot-n-see targets. got kinda crazy one day and put a hole in a dime at 100 yds. ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts