XCR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a Bushmaster AR-15 with a "sniper" style setup. I have plenty of steel and aluminum 30rnd mags and a few magpuls. I prefer the poly mags, but with Pmags and Maglevels being such a rareity now a days, I decided to try out an L5 mag. They are very nice and I like the traslucent feature. Much better than the maglev idea IMO.

However, I took it to the range the other day with a full 30 rnds in the mag. I had a hard time getting the mag to seat in the magwell. I had to "slam" it in for the latch to catch. Every other mag I have, allows me to insert the mag and lock it in gently. Not the L5. I have not heard of this problem with them.

Anyone else experience this issue with the L5? ???

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I picked up 5 to try out. They work great so far, but then again almost all my mags do.

I still prefer the PMags, the Lancers seems a lot more flimsy, but then again I don't plan to run over any mags, so as long as the reliably feed through the years that is all that matters.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is possible it may just be my BM AR. I just thought it strange since all of my other mags go in so easily. The catch on the mag for the release lever on the L5 is slightly different from Pmags and all other USGI type. Just odd. :(

·
Registered
636 Posts
I picked up 5 to try out. They work great so far, but then again almost all my mags do.

I still prefer the PMags, the Lancers seems a lot more flimsy, but then again I don't plan to run over any mags, so as long as the reliably feed through the years that is all that matters.
I take it that you used them in the XCR?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
All AR magwells are not equal,some manufacturers have tightened up the original Colt specs on them to reduce slop.Therefore some magazines(especially polymer ones)can be too tight to work.That's quite possibly what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've got some L5s. I'm pretty impressed with the magazine. They've only seen use with my XCR, which isn't particularly choosy about anything, much less mag types.

I'll probably get some more. Presently, you can't get Pmags even with a search warrant and several places I normally use for online buys still have the L5s.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sloan, Cheaper than Dirt had 1500 30rd. black non-windowed Pmags as of this Tuesday. $24.97/ea

I ordered some and they actually are on their way! So the tracking says.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sloan, Cheaper than Dirt had 1500 30rd. black non-windowed Pmags as of this Tuesday. .97/ea

I ordered some and they actually are on their way! So the tracking says.
$25 pmags... OUWCH. That is just way too much to pay for a $15 magazine.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.00 IS'NT BAD. I WAS AT ACADAMY LAST SATURDAY & SAW SOME PMAGS FOR .00. :eek:
$30? double ouwch... There is no magazine that is actually worth that much money. People are just jacking up the price because sooo many people want them too badly that they will pay for them like fools. I think that $20 is too much for the L5s and that is why I paid $18 for mine.

C-products, Brownells, Colt, Pmags, L5, etc all work just fine. I go to every gun show around here and I see Pmags for sale. There go anything from $25 - $30. When I leave, they are all still sitting there. People will only pay so much before they move on to other, more affordable, magazines. It's not like the pmags are some miracle magazines or something. :duh:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
L5 mags are excellent. More durable than USGI and just as reliable as a PMAG. You also get the bonus of steel feed lips. One bad thing about most poly mags is the feed lips will get chewed up eventually.

Not quite as rugged as the PMAG, but a close second. They are cheaper currently and actually in stock most places.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts