XCR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have an XCR yet, but it's the highest non-bullpup rifle on my list. And with the current cluster of "which pony to back?" between Steyr/MSAR/TPD, the XCR might be my next EBR whilst I wait out the bullpup wars.

That said, I really enjoyed launching M1A2 rifle grenades (with tennis ball as payload) from my AR-15 using parade blanks. It struck me that given an XCR (with gas system set to "OFF") and handloading proper grenade-launching blanks, I should greatly exceed the 75m I was getting with direct impingement and "noise-making" .223 blanks.

Has anyone tried this off their XCR? Is there any way it would be harmful to the rifle to turn off the gas system and shoot .223 blanks of similar power to standard .223 ammo?

If there's no downsides, the XCR would be about ideal (for a .223 rifle), in terms of having adjustable gas, solid lockup, and rails with which to attach quadrant sights for high-angle fire.

Anyone else, or am I the only guy here who enjoys rifle grenades?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
check with the folks at RA on that one first. That'll put some different stresses on the rifle than what it was designed for.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Firing Tennis balls with blanks will probably not be an issue, however if you want to shoot something heavier or with it's own propellant I would definatley check with RA. There is a post from VB with another forum member having the Spikes tactical grenade launcher attached to an XCR.

Note that Flares and Smoke grenades tend to kick much less than HE rounds. When we used to fire Energa Grenades off the old L1A1 they really kicked and instructions were to palce the butt against something solid and not fire from the shoulder unless you wanted to dislocate it. The shoot through grenades for the L85A1 series were much less painful but still kicked a lot more than shooting regular bullets. Usually military rifles are built with features to make them capable of taking the impact of firing grenades.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts