·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Adapt, innovate and overcome.

In 1962 I was sent to Turkey to train Turks on their "new" US provided fighters. One weekend I had "standby duty" with a young Turkish Airman. My 110 lb fully equipped tool box was locked in our shop. We had taken a break and were having lunch at the snack bar when we got a call we were needed. We raced to the end of the runway to give assistance to an aircraft with a problem. My Turkish associate had a medium sized tool bag with him. I found the problem, but did not have the proper sized wrench to do the fix. Low and behold he pulled out a wrench a size or two larger and found a "metal insert" bar in his bag the correct size to do the fix. Lesson learned! Observe and you will learn. :2cents:

·
Registered
33 Posts
My little story about getting the job done:

We were just south of Vandy just south of the Calu Valley, and getting hit hard by what the CO thought was a Battalion of NVA regulars. We were a Company (-). It was a typical night Up in Northern I Corps, dark as hell and just as lethal.

He had me call for some air support. I was an enlisted FAC. Usually I would either try to get a flight of A-6's which were the only A/C that had the systems to drop at night, but more often than not, didn't work. Or set up a TPQ/10 ASRT drop, which I didn't like to bring in to close. Too often the ASRT would miss. On occasion we would get a flight up that came with it's own flares too. So while this is going on, we put some Arty and Company mortar's on them, but it wasn't doing the job.

I got a rare find, for us, in the 3rd Marine Division, a dragon ship, Puff, Call Sign Spooky, the old C-117/RQ4/DC3/Goony Bird. He goes into his orbit, in the general target area, which is right on our FEBA, and all of a sudden there is someone else on the net trying to get him to shift his fire before he opens up. I am arguing and It dawns on me, this is not Mr Rogers or a NiceGuy I am arguing with. This guy did NOT like Mom's apple pie.

The guy in the Spooky, had a heavy Spanish accent. I am going nuts trying to figure out how to get positive control of the Spooky, and make sure he doesn't wipe us out. When it dawns on me, remember I am a Marine, one of my comm guys is A Mexican from LA. Call him over, and tell him the problem. He links up with Spooky and starts relaying my targeting DATA, all in Spanish.

The BlackHats, NVA, start going nuts, or at least they were until Spooky's fire took them off the net, and out of this world.

Yea, Adapt and overcome. OORAH! GET SOME! Spooky did. And it was a wonderful day in the neighborhood, again.

Go figure.

Fred

" I no longer fight the NVA. Now I only fight the VA." -- Me

·
Registered
261 Posts
My little story about getting the job done:

We were just south of Vandy just south of the Calu Valley, and getting hit hard by what the CO thought was a Battalion of NVA regulars. We were a Company (-). It was a typical night Up in Northern I Corps, dark as hell and just as lethal.

He had me call for some air support. I was an enlisted FAC. Usually I would either try to get a flight of A-6's which were the only A/C that had the systems to drop at night, but more often than not, didn't work. Or set up a TPQ/10 ASRT drop, which I didn't like to bring in to close. Too often the ASRT would miss. On occasion we would get a flight up that came with it's own flares too. So while this is going on, we put some Arty and Company mortar's on them, but it wasn't doing the job.

I got a rare find, for us, in the 3rd Marine Division, a dragon ship, Puff, Call Sign Spooky, the old C-117/RQ4/DC3/Goony Bird. He goes into his orbit, in the general target area, which is right on our FEBA, and all of a sudden there is someone else on the net trying to get him to shift his fire before he opens up. I am arguing and It dawns on me, this is not Mr Rogers or a NiceGuy I am arguing with. This guy did NOT like Mom's apple pie.

The guy in the Spooky, had a heavy Spanish accent. I am going nuts trying to figure out how to get positive control of the Spooky, and make sure he doesn't wipe us out. When it dawns on me, remember I am a Marine, one of my comm guys is A Mexican from LA. Call him over, and tell him the problem. He links up with Spooky and starts relaying my targeting DATA, all in Spanish.

The BlackHats, NVA, start going nuts, or at least they were until Spooky's fire took them off the net, and out of this world.

Yea, Adapt and overcome. OORAH! GET SOME! Spooky did. And it was a wonderful day in the neighborhood, again.

Go figure.

Fred

" I no longer fight the NVA. Now I only fight the VA." -- Me

I love reading stories like that. Thank you for your service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts