XCR Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
As with any party, there are arguments over issues of the party's philosophy. Often there is room for debate, other times there is not. As far as the libertarian philosophy goes, there is acceptable debate over topics like immigration and abortion. If you want to hear both sides of those issues I could explain them, but we can save that for another thread.

There are many who claim the title of libertarian who don't have a clue as to what the whole package means. As examples, you can't be both for the legalization of drugs but massive government involvement in everything else(ala bill maher), or have some libertarian free market views but support preemptive war and infringement of some personal freedoms(ala neil boortz and other 'beltway libertarians'). What I'm saying is that it is possible to have libertarian viewpoints on some matters, but not be a libertarian. As Lex said, there are also those who are so anti government that they refuse to take part in voting. These could be called anarcho-capitalists. I am pretty close to that point in some of my views, but also am pragmatic enough to realize that voting is the only means of affecting change at this point and helping to spread the message of liberty.

I really believe the libertarian philosophy is the most consistent outlook a person can have. Many people have those libertarian ideas I spoke of, but don't realize their views on other topics are inconsistent. If explained appropriately, many can take the idea of liberty to its logical conclusion and apply it to all aspects of life...

The most important part of libertarianism is the doctrine of non-initiation of force or coercion. If you're interested in getting an idea of what the philosophy is about, reading Rothbard and von Mises would be a good start. Rothbard's 'For a New Liberty' is basically the libertarian manifesto. Both were close friends and mentors to Ron Paul and were instrumental in forming his views today.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.