XCR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new XCR in 5.56, I got the Bill Springfield trigger job done to it (stock trigger pull felt really bad) and am having some problems with it. I first had the bolt that was cutting nice little holes out of the primer due to an improper chamfer. Got a new bolt in the gun and since then I have had many failure to fires due to light hammer strikes. Now I honestly don't remember if I had any of these before I got the new bolt or not since I only fired 10 or 15 rounds and the gun locked up so tight I could barley get the action open, then I saw holes in the primers of the brass. I contacted Bill about this and he said the only thing his trigger job may have done to contribute to this is the hammer spring is bent at about a 45 degree angle to lighten the trigger pull slightly, so I put the hammer spring back the way it was. Robinson said to finish the break in period and see if the problem goes away. Well I am now past the break in period and I am still getting lots of round that are not firing. When I take some of these rounds and run them back through the gun they sometimes go off, not always though. And my Kel tec loves this ammo, it eats just about anything, so I think the ammo is good. The ammo that does this the most is 5.56 Guat surplus, but this also happens with radway green and HSM. The strikes look kinda light across the board, but not always consistent. Anyway has anyone else run into this problem? After waiting so long for this rifle I am really trying hard to find a reason to keep it, but it just doesn't seem to work well for me.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've had a few light primer strikes with some Hornady steel cased ammo but really think it was the ammo as a second XCR and several AR's have one to two that don't go off per mag as well.

I'd pull the firing pin and make sure it and the channel are clean.

J

·
0 Posts
You may have an out of spec chamber. I expereinced the same symptoms and had a larger issue. dont shoot it, call Alex and send it in immediately.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I had kinda the same problem after my Bill Springfield trigger job, but I concluded it was purely conincindence and not a result of the trigger job.

I call them LPS, light primer strikes, where you hear a click from the trigger but no bang from the round. I had 1 LPS when I first got my rifle back from Bill. It has only happened that one time and it was with Wolf, so I thought no big deal since this has been reported with Wolf many times from many different rifles.

My rifle was past break-in (350 rounds) before getting the Spinger trigger job. Prior to the trigger job my XCR has been flawless, but after the trigger job, I have had 2 malfunctions.

1) At about 60 rounds after the trigger job, I had an LPS. I reloaded the same round like 3 times and same problem each time. I finally threw the round away and chambered a different one, then it went bang! 150 rounds since, no repeat occurance for LPS.

2) Had a trigger fail to reset. Eventually I found out the cotter pin popped out. This was after a rapid fire session where I unloaded 100 rounds as fast as I could. All 100 rounds reliably fed and went bang, but about 20 minutes I thought I would try another mag and about 10 rounds into that mag, I noticed the trigger failed to reset.

It is of my opinoin that the cotter pin should be perfectly perpendicular with the ground to keep it from walking out. If you like to tuck it in and put it close to parrellel with the ground... all that back and forth motion from the gun might shake it out.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
PM me your address. I want to issue a tag for your rifle. We want the whole thing. This is not the first time this has happened. There have been two cases before yours.

Also... We would like to know where you bought your ammo. We'd like to buy some for diagnostic purposes.

How many failures should we expect per 30 rds?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had some light primer strikes for the first time yesterday.
I shot 60 rds (2 mags) of Privi Partizan 55 gn and 2 mags of S&B 55gn.
The three failures all were Privi Partizan (3/60). None for the S&B.
I opened my case and and used this amo for the first time yesterday ~ it had an 07 headstamp.
I attribute it to the ammo but will monitor on future loads.
I even tried to shoot them twice and no go.
My XCR has had a Bill Springfield trigger job and I also had a few reset failures too.
So I will inspect and reclean and try it again.
That's it for now.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Bending the hammer spring compromises the tension and can indeed (and sometimes does) cause light strikes. It doesn't necessarily always happen, but I have sent a couple guys new hammer springs and the issues stopped. It's not the rifle, it's the spring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had a few notifications of light hammer strikes after customers had some trigger work done. I do bend down the hammer spring loop around the back of the hammer, this in turn lightens the pull .5 to 1lbs. But it may also create light primer strikes in some types of ammo. To remedy this, remove the hammer and simply straighten the spring loop. Gently bend each side straight with a pair of needle nose pliers, then reinstall.

I anyone has questions please contact me.

Thanks,

Bill Springfield
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Never had an issue with light hammer strikes on either of my XCR's, even with shitty silver bear...then again, I never check as long as there is a loud bang.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting. I had this problem for the first time a couple of weeks ago using reloaded Black Hills reloaded ammo. Thought it must have been a bad batch since this has never happened before. I also have had a Bill Springfield trigger job, but have probably shot a couple of hundred rounds of ammo since without issue.

I suspect the problem will work itself out, since I'm getting a 7.62x39 conversion and will probably just leave the stronger hammer spring in on a permanent basis.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I'm getting a 7.62x39 conversion and will probably just leave the stronger hammer spring in on a permanent basis.
That should cure your hard primer/light strike issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the Bill Springfield trigger job done as well and was suffering from the same light hammer strikes. I switched from the light hammer spring to the stock spring and the problem disappeared. The trigger itself was still light and crisp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts