XCR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never run one before.

Against my better judgement in this crazy market, I bought another Zastava M92 pistol that I will brace (with all the uncertain future issues that may bring).

I have a Manticore Arms Nightbrake on my current M92....and it works great during the day in terms of controlling muzzle rise and recoil, but at night, it is ANYTHING but a night brake. It makes bigger fireballs than I think my 12" XCR-M does with the VG6 300 BLK Gamma brake.

Anyway, so I'm looking at an SLR extended ION handguard and their linear comp (mainly b/c it looks cool...not b/c it makes economic sense) and want to know how effectively it controls muzzle rise and lessens recoil. Will it be similar to my current night brake or less effective at both? It's substantially more money....

Link to the linear comp:

Link to a pic of the comp and handguard (you have to scroll the images on the left to see the built up rifle):

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Have that comp on an 8" 300blk......Felt recoil may be less with the brake, my rifle has a heavy shot but a flat cycle....which makes it fast. It also looks slick as all get out.

Haven't shot it at night yet.....

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have that comp on an 8" 300blk......Felt recoil may be less with the brake, my rifle has a heavy shot but a flat cycle....which makes it fast. It also looks slick as all get out.

Haven't shot it at night yet.....
Not sure I'm following....so you're saying the felt recoil is less with a brake vs. the linear comp, but that the linear comp does work in terms of keeping it flat (controlling muzzle rise)?

Sorry to seem repetitive...just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.

It does look fucking slick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Only experience I have is on a friend's spikes 9mm 16" carbine. I would say it had less jerky recoil compared to an 8" & 10.5" uppers that I had on a 9mm pistol that had a 6 port muzzle break (3 large holes on each side) and an a2 style flash hider that was on the 10.5. also as a side note and maybe it's just because my friends was in a 16" barrel with linear comp, but it didn't seem as harsh on the ears.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Some experience on a 11" AR pistol (comp was a cheap Noveske Pig clone). Not scientific. Just impression. Not as loud as side venting comps. But I think that's only because energy is directed forward. I wouldn't expect linear comps to reduce muzzle rise. Recoil is in linear direction. But, since said rifle is braced against your shoulder, if sitting or standing, your shoulder/waist is the pivot point. Typical comp does more to counter muzzle rise.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Not sure I'm following....so you're saying the felt recoil is less with a brake vs. the linear comp, but that the linear comp does work in terms of keeping it flat (controlling muzzle rise)?

Sorry to seem repetitive...just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.

It does look fucking slick.
You got it.

The comp puts some heat in the shoulder, but stays flat.

I wish it was more apples to apples but.....

ASR Brake on 10" 556: Soft shot, relatively flat
Linear Hybrid on 8" 300 blk: Heavy shot, flat.

This makes me wish I had 2 identical rifles for a/b'ing, because there are definitely some other factors in the mix and I'm always in the mood for cleaner data. The 300 rifle is much lighter than the 556 xcr, and the projectile weight on the 300 is over twice that of the 556.

....wait...you said another m92?........

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got it.

The comp puts some heat in the shoulder, but stays flat.

I wish it was more apples to apples but.....

ASR Brake on 10" 556: Soft shot, relatively flat
Linear Hybrid on 8" 300 blk: Heavy shot, flat.

This makes me wish I had 2 identical rifles for a/b'ing, because there are definitely some other factors in the mix and I'm always in the mood for cleaner data. The 300 rifle is much lighter than the 556 xcr, and the projectile weight on the 300 is over twice that of the 556.

....wait...you said another m92?........
Yeah...except they've changed the designator to ZPAP92 with very few changes to it. I currently have 4 AKs.....the M92 is my favorite (the way I have it set up currently anyway).

Thanks for the feedback. I do want recoil reduction from my muzzle device on a X39 gun, but I think I'll just try it out and see how it goes first. I can always put a different brake on it if the linear one doesn't work well enough.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have the Krink style comp on my M92 SBR.

After a one day class, my shoulder felt like I had shot 100rds of 12ga. Sore.

Currently also looking for a better solution. But probably going to install a KNS adjustable piston and run a can full time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Krink style comp on my M92 SBR.

After a one day class, my shoulder felt like I had shot 100rds of 12ga. Sore.

Currently also looking for a better solution. But probably going to install a KNS adjustable piston and run a can full time.

Hmmm...on different AKs I have a shortened JTac, a Battle Comp and a Manticore Arms NightBrake. None of them make my shoulder sore after shooting several hundred rounds with KAK braces. Wondering if a LC is just not the right way to go on this.

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, picked up the new ZPAP92 yesterday. Very good quality AK. Even better than the last one which was excellent. Changes include the bulged receiver for the front trunnion and a predrilled hole in the back for attaching a brace or stock.

Reactions: TexasChris

·
Registered
474 Posts
[mention]Sean K. [/mention] do you know what diameter comp/can will fit the SLR extended handguard?

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[mention]Sean K. [/mention] do you know what diameter comp/can will fit the SLR extended handguard?

It's 26mm thread....however....a can I doubt would fit....at least not according to the dimensions on SLR's site for the Linear Comp.
They claim a 1.25" OD for their comp.

Reactions: TTEngineer
1 - 12 of 12 Posts