XCR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting this for SINKER. He is still learning the ways of the forum. :p

Loading Ammo Magazines:

I have noted quite a bit of discussion on the subject of ammo magazines, especially about our new mags, their "break in" procedures etc.

I would like to share a few bits of knowledge that I have gained over time, beginning in the Vietnam Era. I believe that some things never change and loading or reloading our magazines is one of the MOST IMPORTANT THINGS THAT WE DO! After all, "if" our mags. don't work correctly, our weapon, no matter how good it is, no matter how excellent our marksmanship is....NOTHING is worth a crap if the ammo doesn't flow correctly from our mags. into the breach of our weapon(s).

First of all, it takes 2-3 cycles of use before I "trust" a mag. Secondly, I believe that there should be some type of lubrication, both on the mag. and in the mag. well. Thirdly, we were trained NOT TO FILL A MAGAZINE TO FULL CAPACITY! On a 30 round mag., after it has been cycled and I am confident in it, I load 28 rounds, maybe, 29, but I feel a knot in my stomach if I load anymore and compress that spring and follower anymore than that...WHY take the chance of having a "hang up" for one or two more rounds, I've got more loaded mags., RIGHT? Fourthly, and perhaps the most importantly, when I am finished carefully loading every magazine, I am going to take that mag. and slap the primer end of those rounds in there against my hand or leg a couple of times and shake that mag to see if anything rattles......"IF" it does, I slap it again. If I still get some type of rattle, I may unload that mag. or just lay it to the side for use on the range and get another and repeat this process EVERY TIME I LOAD UP A MAGAZINE! NO Deviation! I hope this information will serve you well and keep you from harm, at least as far as this advice can take you.
SINKER

·
Registered
170 Posts
+1

We were instructed in the Marine Corps in 1978 to always down load a mag by 2 rounds. I have never had a failure to feed in ANY semi auto since. Even highly fouled M-16s and AR-15s using mags that are older then alot of forum members. Besides smooth feeding of the cartridges, this practice also keeps the mag lips from being ruined by giving the stacked rounds a little more room to move down when you load/change a mag on a closed bolt. We only VERY lightly oiled the mag springs for rust prevention. If any oil gets on the cartridges, they may have serious extraction issues in an AR. Plus, too much oil gums up in cold climates and attracts grit anywhere, both of which may cause sluggishness that may lead to the next round not being fed by the bolt.

P.S. I only down load 1 round on my Glock, FAL, and SR-25 mags. AK gets all 30.

G

·
Lubricating magazines is a very bad idea. AR mags are aluminum and do not rust, with the modern GI green followers or the Magpul followers in addition to current springs, lubrication is unnecessary in the VAST majority of situations.

IF for some reason you must lube your mag, then ONLY a dry lubricant that does not attract or hold dust would be advisable. Something like a graphite lube or possibly a silicon spray lube might be acceptable. I do have some plastic mags that required silicon spray inside them to work well. this is the only time i have ever needed to lube a mag.

never never never never never use oil based lubricants in or on magazines.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Well Jack-O,
I realize that I didn't go into the "lubricating of magazines" as deeply and as well as I should have. I sometimes forget that some people are NOT as
experienced as we are. I, of course, didn't mean to lube the magwell or the actual magazines up like crazy so that the lube would cause another problem for our readers. Like the ex Marine said in the above posting, silicone or teflon should be used inorder not to create another problem, is what I should have said. I have never claimed or acted as if I am perfect, NONE of us are. I meerly wanted to offer some professional advice in order to clear up some prior misunderstandings and pass on some hard won information that I hadn't seen posted prior to mine....I welcome any other comments that will further clarify these lessons on the care and feeding of our ammo magazines.....llol
SINKER

Lubricating magazines is a very bad idea. AR mags are aluminum and do not rust, with the modern GI green followers or the Magpul followers in addition to current springs, lubrication is unnecessary in the VAST majority of situations.

IF for some reason you must lube your mag, then ONLY a dry lubricant that does not attract or hold dust would be advisable. Something like a graphite lube or possibly a silicon spray lube might be acceptable. I do have some plastic mags that required silicon spray inside them to work well. this is the only time i have ever needed to lube a mag.

never never never never never use oil based lubricants in or on magazines.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
We were instructed in the Marine Corps in 1978 to always down load a mag by 2 rounds. I have never had a failure to feed in ANY semi auto since.

I was breaking in a couple of pmags the other day and noticed that I could fit 31 rounds easily and 32 if I held my mouth right. Did Magpul make their magazines longer so they don't have to be downloaded?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That may very well be. I don't believe that I would cast that in stone without talking to the mfg. and hearing what they had to say. If that is true, then I, personally would go from whatever they had to say and my own recon. and go at this that way..... :2cents: Our ultimate safety and ability to defend ourselves, rests squarely upon our own shoulders. I have always tried to garner as much information as I could possibly get and then try to make the best informed decision(s) with that frame of mind in effect. Again I say, anything that causes me a knot in my stomach or my bung hole to pucker up, I have learned to pay attention to. The old saying that "an ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure" is the best way to operate because that "pound of cure" is most likely going to come out of my/our backside(s) in the form of a "pound of flesh"! "Stay safe and live longer"!
SINKER

We were instructed in the Marine Corps in 1978 to always down load a mag by 2 rounds. I have never had a failure to feed in ANY semi auto since.

I was breaking in a couple of pmags the other day and noticed that I could fit 31 rounds easily and 32 if I held my mouth right. Did Magpul make their magazines longer so they don't have to be downloaded?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The way I understand it, Magpuls use a cap that snaps over the top of the magazine to keep pressure off the feed lips. To do that, there would have to be extra room for the rounds to move down. I have some magpuls on order since early Nov., but have not received them yet, so this response is just an educated guess on my part. I do know some people will overload a magazine if they are able to squeeze any rounds in past the amount the mag was intended for. Considering the original context of this thread, that is obviously not a good idea. As I said in my previous post, I have 30 (and 20) round USGI mags that are over THIRTY YEARS OLD and are still dependable enough to stake my life on if need be. The only reason I bought the magpuls was because of the videos that show them being ran over and having trucks doing 'hole shots' on top of them! I also figure this thread will inevitably lead to the question "Should I store my magazines loaded?" My answer, which is only MY way and not scientific in any way, is to keep 15 mags loaded (in case of urgent need?). I keep them loaded at 28 rounds for 2 months, then empty those and load another 15. I have enough mags that any 15 mags are only loaded for 2 months out of every YEAR. I load up ones that were empty for range trips once a month on average. I don't play Hollywood and drop the mags to the deck when reloading. The military can resupply, I don't have their bottomless pockets. I also don't smack the mag in like it kissed my woman or owes me money when reloading the rifle, a not TOO firm push and then a quick tug to confirm it locked into the receiver. In ending I would like to extend a sincere "Welcome Aboard" to Sinker.

G

·
Sinker,
I wasnt getting on anyone in particular, it just needed to be clarified that lubricating an magazine is generally a very poor idea. It can attract dust and debris and create stoppages. DRY lubes are indicated ONLY when functioning is impossible without it.

UC,
Several mag makers are making mags that will accept 31 or 32 rounds. This is done so that on AR's you can insert a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt. the additional space allows for compression of the spring and makes insertion much easier.

HK will take 31, as will magpuls (AFAIK).

Downloading to 28 with GI mags is an excellent idea and should be pretty standard. the above mags however make this unnecessary.

From what I understand the Magpuls still have at least a 25-30% failure rate due to cracked feed lips under heavy use. They tend to crack along the rear edge. This will continue to happen as long as they do not reinforce the feed lip area with some steel. I'd say use those feed lip protectors as much as possible, or just buy some regular old USGI mags and not worry about it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That's OK Jack, I took no offense. We should have a right to disagree and I believe that well intended disagreements bring us closer to the truth of things. Just so you know, I am NOT very "thin skinned" and from reading many of your answers, I find no problem(s) with your demeanor and I enjoy reading them. I am a lot newer on this Forum than you are and I have respect for that. I am really glad to be a part of this. I love being able to share knowledge and interest in Our XCR's. We
are really Blessed by this and other Robinson related contacts. I REALLY enjoy this site. Thanks, Jack for generously giving of your time and knowledge.
SINKER

Sinker,
I wasnt getting on anyone in particular, it just needed to be clarified that lubricating an magazine is generally a very poor idea. It can attract dust and debris and create stoppages. DRY lubes are indicated ONLY when functioning is impossible without it.

UC,
Several mag makers are making mags that will accept 31 or 32 rounds. This is done so that on AR's you can insert a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt. the additional space allows for compression of the spring and makes insertion much easier.

HK will take 31, as will magpuls (AFAIK).

Downloading to 28 with GI mags is an excellent idea and should be pretty standard. the above mags however make this unnecessary.

From what I understand the Magpuls still have at least a 25-30% failure rate due to cracked feed lips under heavy use. They tend to crack along the rear edge. This will continue to happen as long as they do not reinforce the feed lip area with some steel. I'd say use those feed lip protectors as much as possible, or just buy some regular old USGI mags and not worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts