XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had experience with ACOG's, but I'm looking into either an aimpoint or EOTech. What models would you recommend on either brand?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I personally have a Eotech 552 does its job well. I would recommend any Eotech.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MrSmitty, I appreciate it, is the 552 compatible with the 3x magnifier?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Everything they make should be compatible with a magnifier, no worries. I have a 553 but haven't honestly had it long enough to make a really good review either way. Some folks have complained about battery life with the EOTechs, but like I said, haven't had mine long enough to know either way.

Aimpoints are good too. Their newest M4 and M4S are the goods, big improvements over the CompM2's/M68's in terms of ruggedness adn battery life.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the EOTech 512. The battery life is not a problem. And I like the open style better than my AimPoint. Both are good, but I'd give the EOTech the edge. My :2cents:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ya I use mine with a Eotech 3x magnifier and an Aimpoint 3X magnifier (depending on the rifle). Both work great with the Eotech.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I heard that you can manipulate the Aimpoint so that the red dot will move around but the point of impact won't change? Is this true of EOTech as well?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Now I heard that you can manipulate the Aimpoint so that the red dot will move around but the point of impact won't change? Is this true of EOTech as well?
That is true of the EOTech. No matter where your head is in relation to the rifle, as long as the red dot is on target you are good to go. I prefer EOTech's due to not destroying your field of veiw. I find that when shooting, I barely notice the eotech itself, only the reticle and my BUIS. As for battery life, I run a 512 with lithium batteries. EOTech states that with lithium batteries, lifespan is 1000 hrs. On the EOTechs there is an 4 or 8 hr auto shutoff. so you can run 250 four hour patrols before needing new batteries or 125 patrols at 8 hrs. So to me that is not a major disadvantage compared to the aimpoints longer service life.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Combat Engineer,

When did you serve in the Marines. I was with 2nd CEB, 2001-2005. I also served in OIF 1 and OIF 2. I remember working with some of the 1st CEB Marines during the invasion either in Nasariyah or Numiniyah (Probably did not spell either right).

Semper Fi
Tueflehunden

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Jon1371usmc,

I was in from 2001-2005, I extended my contract to make my last deployment. I was attached to 1/1 and 2/5. I was on two west pac's. Was in Iraq in 03 and back in 04 and carried over to 05, I was also in the Horn of Africa in Djibouti and Kenya. I met some 2nd CEB guys at Camp Lemoine in Djibouti. I was with Bravo Company 2nd platoon and alpha company 1st platoon and 3rd platoon. Where you at these day's killer?

·
Registered
981 Posts
CmbtEngineer,

When I got out, I became a cop in Tn. I have just recently joined the Coast Guard Reserve. I headed for training in Yorktown, VA for three months after the holidays. Its only a couple of hours away from Camp Lejuene so I might head down there and swing by Courthouse Bay. Have a few buddys out there as Instructors. That brings me to another question, when did you go to mos school. I went in Feb through May I believe in 2002. We were probably there around the same time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, well I was there at that time as well, who was your class leader was it Welch? I got to Courthouse bay Dec 1st and was on a working party until Jan 10 when our class started, when was yours? Whats your name mine is Nathan Drumm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What xcr setup do you have, I was lookin to get the 556 first then look into the 762, with the possibility of the 6.8

·
Registered
981 Posts
What xcr setup do you have, I was lookin to get the 556 first then look into the 762, with the possibility of the 6.8
Hey I sent you a PM. My XCR is on order right now, but it will be a 5.56 with hvy bbl, M4 folding stock adapter with Magpul CTR and Cheek riser, Ergo Suregrip pistol grip, troy buis, EOTech 512, forward grip, and Magpul Xt Rail covers. I have everything but the weapon. What sucks is that mine wont be here before I leave for A-School on the 5th of January. It is not suppossed to ship until the 23rd of Jan. I might go AWOL just to come home and get it seeing as how my school doesnt end until March 20. Its a Bummer.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have the 553 and find the battery life very acceptable. Mind you not like the Aimpoint turn it on and forget about it but acceptable non-the-less. Every couple of months I put fresh battereis in and the ones coming out go to Surefire LED flashlight duties.

With the Eotech I feel like I get on targer fast and have a better overall FOV. I own more Aimpoints than I do Eotechs, so I life to think I am pretty unbiased. The Aimpoint does real well too and I am happy to shoot either one. I really need to get a tactical shotgun and put an Eotech on it. My buddy has one and loves it.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
CmbtEngineer, having used both I would say it boils down to personal preference. I prefer the simple uncluttered dot of the Aimpoint so that's what I have. My Team mate prefers the reticule and con trolls of the EOTech so that's what he's running. Both should serve you well
and you can be astonishingly accurate at distance if you think outside of the box. The Aimpoint 3X magnifier is pricey but really good.
Buy once cry once applies here. Millet makes a nice dot in a tube sight too.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I just recently got an Eotech, and I would agree that it helps keep a more open FOV which is nice. At least for myself, sighting something through a tube I unconsciously tend to tunnel in on just what I'm shooting at. With the Eotech it's not as much of a conscious effort to keep track of things.

Ideally you could find some buddies that have both and try them to see what you think before plopping down some $.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I have had experience with ACOG's, but I'm looking into either an aimpoint or EOTech. What models would you recommend on either brand?
I am a 12 Bravo myself!

As for the Eotech and Aimpoint recommendation, I recommend the ML3 (5 times longer batter life than the ML2) and the 516 (uses CR123 batteries).

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
with either sight, Aimpoint or EOTech, you should have both eyes open so FOV shouldn't be as much of an issue as one would think.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts