XCR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just bought my XCR last week and need to buy some sights. I thought I was set on the Midwest Industries sights but I was on the GG&G web site and saw the ranging aperture sight and thought it looked interesting. Any opinions on the sight? Has anyone tried them? I plan on my iron sights being my primary sights for awhile as I am not sure if I am going to get any optics. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
My rifle was delivered with MI sights and I think they are great. I especially like the front sight,sort of a 3/4 H&K sight. They fold out of the way so I can mount my ACOG with no worries.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MickeySquid. I thought the ranging sight was kind of a neat idea but I do not know if it would really be practical. I do like the 3/4 circle of the MI front sight like you mentioned. That is probably the way I will go.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I have Troy's, MI's, ARMS, PRI, and Promags.

Troys are way overated and overpriced, but if you want to impress all your Mall Ninja buddies, then get the Troy's.

Promags are less than $100 for both front and rear, they work, but they have a painted look that looks cheap. If you don't care what your gear looks like then get the Promags.

The ARM's I have is just the rear, it is the 40L, and it folds down the lowest. If you are running a mag scope that is mounted on Medium rings then the ARM's is a good choice. At $105 for just the rear, it is over price but it looks cool and it works.

I have the PRI front, and I like this of all front sites. It is a circle, and lining up circle's (with the rear) just feels natural to me.

For a combination of price, looks, and quality, the MI's I can't be beat. That is why I have 3 set's of MI's.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have Troy's, MI's, ARMS, PRI, and Promags.

Troys are way overated and overpriced, but if you want to impress all your Mall Ninja buddies, then get the Troy's.

Promags are less than 0 for both front and rear, they work, but they have a painted look that looks cheap. If you don't care what your gear looks like then get the Promags.

The ARM's I have is just the rear, it is the 40L, and it folds down the lowest. If you are running a mag scope that is mounted on Medium rings then the ARM's is a good choice. At 5 for just the rear, it is over price but it looks cool and it works.

I have the PRI front, and I like this of all front sites. It is a circle, and lining up circle's (with the rear) just feels natural to me.

For a combination of price, looks, and quality, the MI's I can't be beat. That is why I have 3 set's of MI's.
Thanks for the link w/ the pics. Helps seeing them installed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the advice and the link to the sight pictures. I am going to go with the MI sights as EricCartmann has a half a dozen different brands and recommends them. Two more questions. Would the flat dark earth or black sights match the finish of the XCR better? I am not interested in the OD green. The second question, Is the MI SPLP (same plane low profile) rear sight worth the extra money over the regular MI rear sight? Any real advantages? Thanks for helping a newbie out!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice and the link to the sight pictures. I am going to go with the MI sights as EricCartmann has a half a dozen different brands and recommends them. Two more questions. Would the flat dark earth or black sights match the finish of the XCR better? I am not interested in the OD green. The second question, Is the MI SPLP (same plane low profile) rear sight worth the extra money over the regular MI rear sight? Any real advantages? Thanks for helping a newbie out!
Here's my understanding of same plane low profile sights: Originally, the rear sight was designed with one smaller aperture ("hole" that you look through) and a larger aperture. The larger was meant to be used for closer targets and the smaller was meant for longer range shooting. Since the smaller aperture was to be used for longer ranges, they built in an offset to help account for bullet drop at the longer ranges. Not precise, but "ballpark". Modern "regular" rear sights still have this offset between the sight planes of the small and large aperture. The "same plane" sights are engineered for no change in the sight plane when switching between the two apertures. So, the point of impact is the same between the two apertures. I had to Google it when I first heard about it ;D

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I just use big aperature for all my sites. It is called "backup" iron sites for a reason.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Here is my canned answer:

--------------------------------------------------------------

I hear how Troy makes quality BUIS but how can Troy make quality BUIS when they don't make anything? Now the guy who Troy contracts out to make them, he is the one that make quality BUIS's :)

Here is how the BUIS I have owned stacks up:

Troy (front and rear)- I have these on my Noveske. They are labled Noveske but they are actually Troy's. They are no doubt quality stuff and the best looking sites out there. They do the job and they do it with good looks. If money is no object then by all means buy these. At $260 for the set though, they are way over priced. Only reason I got them is because they came with the rifle.

Midwest Industries (front and rear) - I like these a lot. You can get them for $160 for the set from a lot of guys online. I like how the front site is a 3/4 circle, makes it naturally easy to line up with the rear. Also the action is a lot smoother than the Troy as they flip up and down a lot easier. I like these so much that I got 3 sets on 3 different rifles.

PRI (front only) - I think this site is an excellent value for $100 (Front only). The circle just makes it naturally easy to use with the rear. Quality is right up there with the best of them. For front site, these are my first choice. I have this on one of my AR-10's.

ARMS 40L (rear only) - I have had this unit for about 3 years now. Back then they were around the same price they are now, wich is about $110. I only used it when I first zero'd. All I can say it is not a bad site, but I don't really like how the flip up action works on this. I have this one mated to my PRI front, and the 2 together seem to work just fine.

Yankee Hill Machine - These go for about $120 for the set and are excellent value. I don't own a set but I have used them before as my buddy has 3 sets of these ;and he is not dissapointed.

Promag (front and rear) - Appearence wise, the front looks like a YHM unit, and the rear looks like a MI unit. These are the best value at $45 each, or $90 for the set. They seem to work just as good as the other sites, but they don't look at as nice and they appear to be cheaply made.

Remember, they are called backup Iron Sites for a reason. Sometimes I think it is kinda crazy spending $300 on sites you may never use... even $160 is crazy, but we are all slaves to fashion, so for fashion sake, it must be done.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I'm glad I am not the only one that thinks this. Troy sights might be the darling of ARFCOM, but I think they are average at best

I have MI sights on my XCR and I like them well enough. Other solid sights are the ARMS #40 and #40L. However if you want to step your BUIS up to where they have the functionality of full sights than Matech and KAC on the rear are the best options, which shouldnt shock anyone considering they are military issue.

Sticking with MI is a good option though

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I like the Troy's because they are pretty solid but they sure are proud of them so there isn't an argument there! I've got the one set and that is it but I have a few MI sets, front and rear and just rear on some AR's. ARMS makes a good rear sight, I wish they would make a low-pro to mate with their 40L though. Wonder why they haven't?

Gotta disagree with you VB on the Matech's. For it's purpose, it's over designed and too fragile. We added at least 1-2 every week to the DRMO scrap bin because they would bust or just wear out. The simplicity of the original KAC 300m BUIS is great, if they would beef it up and make it lock in the "up" position it would be perfect. Back up sight, that's it, doesn't need to be fancy. If your irons are your primary sight then a semi-perm unit like LMT's deal or maybe LaRue would be better.

Speaking of Matech, did you see their mount for the Aimpoint Micro? Basically their BUIS base with the Micro mounted so you can adjust your red-dot for range. Don't know what you'd use it for, but neat nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Speaking of Matech, did you see their mount for the Aimpoint Micro? Basically their BUIS base with the Micro mounted so you can adjust your red-dot for range. Don't know what you'd use it for, but neat nonetheless.
Very slick set up.

Here is the reason for the mount straight from Aimpoint.

This mount was built at my request for the Micro T-1 to use with the M249/MK48 and M240/MK48 machineguns. The 5.56mm mount (M249) allows for adjustment from 100M to 800M in 100M increments. The 7.62mm mount (M240) will allow for adjustment from 300M to 1100M in 100M increments. I started working with MaTech on this mount over a year ago. The purpose is put an 8 to 10 ounce optic on a 16+lb (M249) or 20+lb (M240) vice a 1.5lb sight (which doesn't even hold zero). 1X Micro T-1 sights are superior for use with machineguns as they are light weight and the gunner doesn't get lost in the magnification nor the vibration of a magnified reticle during shooting. If threat ID is an issue than the Aimpoint 3X Magnifier in the Aimpoint Twist Mount will work with this mount when needed.

All preliminary ballistics testing on M249, M240, and even US Ordnance M60E3 has been extremely positive. 5.56 Mount and 7.62 Mount systems are in the "kitty litter" box with an elite unit with very positive results. They would not send them back after the initial 30 day T&E. They insisted on keeping them until the end of their deployment.

I believe LWRC will be selling these Mounts with Micro T-1s and H-1s for civilian use on Carbines. Production mounts will have opposing throw levers that lock. I can't speak for MaTech nor LWRC on availability, but best guess is mid to late December or early January.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I have a set of the Pro-Mag front and rear buis.I didn't think they looked all that cheaply made,although I've never directly compared them with other manufacturers either.The problem I have is that the Pro-Mag front sight is made for a gas block rail for an AR15,which I didn't know when I ordered them.Either way when I went to zero them,it was shooting about 20 inches low at 25 yards,and there isn't nearly enough adjustment to get it up where it need's to be.So I've been putting off getting a MI front sight.I cannot personally justify spending $300 on a set of buis,I would much rather spend that money on another optic,be it a copy of the primary optic,or for a second of a different type for a different purpose.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts