XCR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new to the forums as of today. I've been looking at an XCR-M for a while.

There is a lack of technical data on the website and I made inquiries without response.

Can you guys direct me to where I could find technical info like, Metallurgy, material, finish, etc of Barrel, upper, lower.

Cheers,

J

· Super Moderator
327 Posts
7075-T6 lower. They don't disclose upper process but I can't think of anything stronger for aluminum unless they are sourcing from some space materials vendor, which I doubt
Cerakote
4150cmv button rifled, chrome lined. SS for some calibers like 6.5G but I think they are moving everything to cmv. Best to specify if you order
Not sure on external barrel finish but it's fairly resilient to corrosion, I've exposed mine to years of rain/snow and a bit of saltwater without issue

· Registered
23,255 Posts
Forged vs Billet?

Are the barrels Nitrided?

Do they disclose the profile or weight of the light vs heavy?

Odd that they would not disclose the metallurgy on their uppers...
Chrome lined unless SS.

No, no weights and it would vary greatly based on bbl length obviously. Light profile is noticeably lighter than heavy. If you plan to hump the rifle around, go light profile. Heavy is better suited to bench rest and paper punching (but obviously will help with stringing as the bbl heats up)....something the XCR isn't really known for in that it's usually 1-1.25 MOA for most shooters. That said, for -Ms it's more likely you find heavy profile available than light. All 3 of my -Ms are heavy.

Reactions: roflcopters

· Super Moderator
327 Posts
I'm pretty sure 7075 is forged
Barrel weight varies by length and gas system, but as a rule if your going to hump it get light profile. It's similar to BCMs ELW profile. There's a weight comparison between heavy and light profile around here somewhere
All the steel barrels are chrome lined, not sure on exterior finish

· Registered
115 Posts
I have seen an article that state the uppers are forged (mentioned in the Canadian AR-180 thread), and another article state that the uppers are extruded (looked for the first citation, could not find it, found a different contradicting citation).

With mass produced products, they always put a disclaimer on the end that ways "Specifications are subject to change without notice.". People think everything is written in stone, and get really angry when they find out that things are not. One way to avoid that issue is to not state the specs. Given the history of a very strong willed company head, dealing with a lot of people wanting to start online flame wars, any action that avoids an argument is probably a good idea.

There are also specs that some of these manufacturers are refusing to disclose as trade secrets. Example: I've asked Zastava what type of plastic they use in their magazines, so that I can modify them to fit another rifle, and Zastava refuses to even respond.

With Robinson's situation, no secret that parts availability is causing delays, and the narrow list of machinists in the firearms parts business or willing to make firearm parts, I get the feeling that Robinson is sourcing the same pieces from multiple companies, with different specs. Different processes that meet the same minimum performance level, but would be a mess to state in a spec sheet. Example: I don't know anyone in the US manufacturing chrome lined barrels made-to-order (maybe firearms manufacturers doing their own barrels in house, but no one offering this for custom made barrels for someone else's firearm products). Thank you EPA for closing down most of the chrome plating industry. Nitride is generally seen as the modern equivalent that is less expensive, and readily available. Looking at the statements that one caliber barrel is available in one type only, and a different is available in a different type only, that would make sense with the different pieces coming from different manufacturers.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
Any idea why they don't post any spec's on their site? Very odd to me.
RA has been a litigant in some copy right infringement/IP suits.....pretty sure they don't want to let out their IP or trade secrets, which is certainly understandable with a boutique, custom firearm.

Buy one or don't. Ultimately, if you need that info and can't get it....you'll move on to something more suited to your demands as a customer. All part of a free market.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I work at a small 20 person manufacture for niche construction materials

I don't think putting basic info about your product is problematic unless you have NOTABLE QC issues.

There are far smaller arms manufactures who share, forged vs billet, what alloy they use, the tempering of the alloy, finish type... These are not trade secrets. They are the basics.

Q: "What am I buying?"
A: "I can't tell you, you might sue me in a court of law!"
Q: "Wait, why would I sue you? Like on what grounds? Why would I trust you if you just said you can't be trusted?"

I get the explanation that what the barrels are is subject to the cartridge and barrel weight... but we can't act like upkeeping the website with current info is so expensive or creates liability, and that that lack is something that is not indicative of product/business concerns... I'm sympathetic to the modern personnel issues, they plague our business, and really anyone without a dedicated HR department. (so most businesses under 100 people) is struggling with those now.

I guess I joined this forum with a degree of excitement and now feel very apprehensive about doing business with Robinson Armament. A simple, " it is odd that they don't post that info." is more reasonable I think.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
I work at a small 20 person manufacture for niche construction materials

I don't think putting basic info about your product is problematic unless you have NOTABLE QC issues.

There are far smaller arms manufactures who share, forged vs billet, what alloy they use, the tempering of the alloy, finish type... These are not trade secrets. They are the basics.

Q: "What am I buying?"
A: "I can't tell you, you might sue me in a court of law!"
Q: "Wait, why would I sue you? Like on what grounds? Why would I trust you if you just said you can't be trusted?"

I get the explanation that what the barrels are is subject to the cartridge and barrel weight... but we can't act like upkeeping the website with current info is so expensive or creates liability, and that that lack is something that is not indicative of product/business concerns... I'm sympathetic to the modern personnel issues, they plague our business, and really anyone without a dedicated HR department. (so most businesses under 100 people) is struggling with those now.

I guess I joined this forum with a degree of excitement and now feel very apprehensive about doing business with Robinson Armament. A simple, " it is odd that they don't post that info." is more reasonable I think.
RE: QC They somewhat regularly screw things up...from simple stuff like not supplying A2 flash hiders when requested on orders to more significant issues like Garand Thumb's recent lack of 242 loctite on the ejector bolts that then worked loose during filming. Shit happens, but the XCR is so painfully simple that even a moron should be able to fix it with a little bit of advice....IF something even goes wrong.....which is unlikely to begin with. That said, there are parts you can't easily make on your own without a machine shop so it behooves the smarter RA customers to build a 'spare parts kit'....(of course, any gun enthusiast also knows the 2 is one, 1 is none mantra and has spare parts for his AR, AK, FAL, Glock, SIG, etc.). YMMV.

You clearly don't understand IP or that RA sued Magpul over infringement and ended up losing...left a sour taste in an already skeptical company.

Do you own RA? Then what they consider "too expensive" is outside your purview. Man, it's amazing how many customers today seem to think they have a say in a small, privately owned business. Sign of the times I guess....where one thinks they are OWED something before they've even purchased the product.

Again, buy or don't. RA is what it is. You are certainly free to ask them directly, and they are certainly free to give that information or keep it close to the vest. Their call, in spite of your protestations.

· Registered
262 Posts
I generally agree with Sean. I additionally think it’s a matter of distinguishing between the way RA is marketed from the product itself. I don’t judge the product based on the homemade social media presence or the website that appears to have glitches and apparently doesn’t take orders now, because RA isn’t about marketing, it’s about the product, the XCR, which speaks for itself. I love pretty much everything about my XCRs, especially how they feel to shoot. I didn’t need an exact measurement of any part of the XCR in order to decide that I wanted one based on features that it has. I understand that for some people, getting tons of measurements ahead of time and having a slicker website that is constantly updated may be what’s important. Just not for me. Same for knowing proprietary information about the upper — I couldn’t care less, I just appreciate whatever it is because it works great for me and it’s also aesthetically pleasing.

Keep in mind the company is backordered and has been so for years. If you have questions that need to be answered before making a decision, just call them.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
Keep in mind the company is backordered and has been so for years.
This is another key point: If you are expecting to get an XCR from the factory in anything shorter than 8 months....good luck to you. Yes, Kermit might have one in stock....but if you want something other than very standard configurations, you'll likely have to order and in spite of the nonsense the sale team tell people about "3 months" when they call RobArms direct.....it will much more likely be 8-12 months OR LONGER. I've personally waited 14-15 months for a complete upper.

Again, if you're not cool with that, you should skip this company altogether.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
I'm still waiting on M stuff i ordered with Sean's last M......
Damn....that is a LONG wait. :( I was half tempted to inquire about another compete green upper....a "Garand Thumb Special" lol....midlength with 12" bbl in 5.56 and keymod...but I bet they're only doing Mlok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts