XCR Forum banner

Which company is making the best 1911 style pistols for under $1500.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next few months, I’m hoping to purchase a new 1911 style pistol in .45 ACP. I have heard just about every opinion under the sun when it comes to which brand and model is the best. I don’t really trust the guys at the local gun stores, so I thought it might be a good idea to bring this question to the forum. I’ve been leaning towards the Springfield TRP Operator but I don’t want to limit my options yet. I’ve looked at models from Kimber, Sig Saur, Colt and Para Ordnance, and all of them seem to be pretty decent. I’ve also looked at a few pieces from Les Baur and Wilson Combat, but they may be a bit out of my price range right now. I would be open to other brands if you have any suggestions. I’m hoping to get something with some custom upgrades, but nothing too ridiculous. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I believe for the money,the most value right now lies with the Taurus PT1911.It has many custom feature which will cost you big bucks from other manufactures and they have a forged frame and slide.The only thing I don't care for is the logo on the side is huge,it's nothing wrong with being proud of your product,but this borders on tacky looking.If you don't like that,I've had a serious love affair with the Dan Wesson commander size 1911 with the Ed Brown bobtail,It's sweeeet!! They are very nice pistols for the money as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had a chance to look at Taurus yet. I should probably find a dealer and check them out.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
There are a lot of good choices out there right now. I have a couple of Kimbers and have been nothing but happy with them. I have a stainless commander size one I usually carry. My friend used to have a Dan Wesson .45, just a pretty standard model I think that we shot some. It did well.

I had never been much of a pistol shooter, and for some reason I had never shot a 1911 until some years back. But when I did I knew that was my pistol. I just picked it up, started shooting and the rounds went where I wanted them to. The ergonomics were just so much better and it points so naturally.

I've shot a glock enough to know about the only way I'll hit something with it is to just chunk the whole pistol at it. Ugh.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
573 Posts
Another vote for the Taurus PT-1911. Dollar for dollar, the best trigger and upgrades out of the box, for the best price. Around $600 depending on whether you get the blued or the stainless model.

I have the blued version, and it is a nice piece of equipment for the money. It came out of the box with a pretty decent trigger. Good luck. 8)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I voted Springfield. I own 2 Nighthawk Customs, a Colt series 70 and an old AMT. All 4 shoot well but of course my Nighthawks are my favorite and one is my carry piece. My buddy has a Springfield that I have a good bit of trigger time on and given the price and features it is an excellent pistol. It shoots well and is relatively tight for what you are paying. All in all, it really comes down to looks and features as there is only so much you can do to modify the 1911.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i chose other, i won't bad mouth the choices you put up b/c it'll take too long lol. I like STI, and Les Baer. STI would probably be in the 1500 or less range for what your looking for, OR build your own 1911 using whatever parts you want.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the Para-Ordanance P13. It's a 1911 with a double stack clip. It fits my hand better than any gun i've ever held, feels great to shoot, has a nice trigger, and is easy to keep on target. I would love this gun except for one problem. I've put about 600 rounds through it and it won't go more than 2 mags without having either a FTE or FTF when using target ammo. It does much better (though still experiences too many problems imo) when i fire personal defense ammo like golden saber or hydroshok, but that doesn't help me at the range. I've tried winchester white box, blazer, and wolf all with the same results. I sent the gun back to Para, they looked it over, "reworked it", and said it was fine.

For reference, i typically go shoot with 2 other friends. We usually take 3 or 4 handguns each and we shoot each others guns extensively. All 3 of us have the same failure rate with my Para and none of the other guns we shoot (Glock in 9mm and 357 sig, wilson arms .40, fn 5.7, Taurus pt145, kahr 9mm, bursa .380, XD 9mm, and a few others), have trouble with failures, so i don't believe this is an issue with my shooting style. I've now put about 700 rounds through the Para with no signs of improvement. I asked Para to replace the gun and was told that was not an option.

As i said, the gun has a lot going for it, but it's lack of reliabilty trumps all else. I have a friend with a P13 that i've shot a few hundred rounds through and never experience a failure of any type, so if you get one that's reliable you're in great shape, If not, you're kinda S.O.L.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like the Wilson KZ-45. Well under $1500 and you get the best of the 1911 world and the polymer double stack world. I don't own one but I've shot one and it was very very nice.

The Taurus mentioned above would be worth looking into. I've heard good things like the others mentioned. I haven't shot one yet.

:2cents:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I just picked up a Smith and Wesson 1911. It is awesome. Carbon steel frame and slide, an external extractor that actually works, and as accurate as a Springfield TRP for half the price. I picked up mine for $760 before taxes and it has been on my hip ever since. Trust me, it is the best kept secret in 1911s.

·
Registered
33 Posts
+1 on the Smith & Wesson. I've owned one for a number of years, put thousands of rounds through it and gun has been 100% reliable. I think I've had a total of 1 FTF.

Gun is also extremely accurate.

However, if I had the money I would be awfully tempted to get a Nighthawk as well. :)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I love my trp, it's a fantastic pistol. Slide to frame fit is tight but glassy smooth and the trigger is great. I use cmc 8 round powermags and wilson 47d's and I have yet to have a failure of any kind over nearly 2000 rounds.

It's only my own experience, but the kimber 1911's I've shot (a standard 5" and an 5" eclipse) have had numerous ftf and fte's every time I've shot them with all magazines tried. These are my friends' pistols so I can't vouch for their upkeep.

Colt, STI, Wilson, Les Baer, S&W, Nighthawk, and Dan Wesson are gtg. Never used a sig 1911 and I'm just not that hot on the taurus 1911 but I've heard lots of good things about it.

find one from a reputable company at the price you're comfortable with and get it!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Springfield. For the money a great pistol, and of course, you can always build from there. I have three.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, thanks for all of the input guys. I think i need to take a closer look both Smith & Wesson and Taurus. This is going to be a tough choice :-\

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Mine looks exactly like this. I'm in the middle of moving and don't know where my camera is or I'd take a pic of it for you. It is carbon steel up and down and honest to goodness blued like an old Colt, not some baked on wunder finish. I like my carry piece to have a little flair.

They do have a matte baked on tactical finish if you prefer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took a look at S&W's website and I like what I see. I've been reading review of 1911s on other website and they pretty much stay that that S&Ws are the best buy for the money.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I saw all the Springfield comments, so I figure I might as well add mine in too......

My Sproingfeld Aromry 1911 made three trips back to Geneseo - all three were required. The third trip (after I'd given up on getting it to function right) was by the grace of one of my great friends. His buddy is the VP of Sproingfeld, so he "pulled some strings" and had my 1911 worked over to gain functionality.

Almost.

When I was at Front Sight, they said it was probably my mags. Sproingfeld said the same (they said the mags that come with the pistol are junk, buy better if you want reliability) so I bought some little billy wilson "combat" mags at the pro shop there at Front Sight.

After re-springing this 1911 per one of my NSW buddies standards, it works pretty well. At the SWAT class, I was getting about one malf per day..... in those conditions, that's "not bad". The other guys were having malfs too - the only pistol I can think of that didn't malf or break there was my buddies HK USP compact in 45ACP, and one Glock. I blame the one malf per day on the mags. They spent a lot of time in the dusty sand, and the followers were slowing down due to it. Those mags from little billy wilson have the long slots to allow lots of dirt to get in.

Short version: I can't recommend Sproingfeld Aromry (and FWIW, I've seen an M1A with the word "AROMRY" mis-stamped on the heel) any more than I can Colt.

I've got similar Colt stories.......

1 - 20 of 106 Posts