XCR Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
6,537 Posts
Magicbullet,

do you reload the brass after use in the PTR?

· Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm not a reloader (yet)

I think you could get away with reloading these though... speaking to some of the hk rifle guys, it's split among the reloaders as to who will reload hk brass and who won't. my opinion doesn't mean too much there I guess.

· Registered
467 Posts
My personal experience is that you can reload brass fired in an HK. However, it's not a whole lot of fun. The expanded cases are extremely difficult to resize. Generally, it's not worth the hassle.

What I normally do is use old .308 brass that is on it's 5-6th reloading. Load it up one last time and let the HK tear it up. Then leave them. It really isn't worth the trouble to resize stuff an HK as been chewing on.

· Registered
6,537 Posts
Now that's a good idea. I might have to relent and go get one.

· Registered
1,475 Posts
ya solftail it is pretty good :)

bravo, I thought of this a while ago but forgot to post it...
notice you can put pic rail on my rifle's forend. If I put a sling mount there and switched to a shooting sling in addition to the better sights, would we be cookin with gas?

· Registered
4,535 Posts
Without question! I have yet to be able to shoot an expert score without the aid of a sling. FWIW, that's what I did with the XCR too - put a sling mount on the bottom rail.

The beautiful part is that you can position the sling attachment on the rail to act as a handstop too! That'll go FAR in not having to rebuild your position every few rounds. Literally.

FWIW, I went with the Midwest Industries..... actually, I bought two - the full swivel and the one that takes the Uncle Mikes QD swivels. Just wanted to decide which one I liked better. I've decided to go with the QD type for now, and see how that works on the COF coming up next month. It means cutting on a rail cover too, but for those few times I use the XCR in that way, who cares?

I bought the one from Falcon, but didn't much care for the way it secured to the rail. It went back. Not that I had problems with it, but saw it as a potential problem in the future.

It's for sure that the gripe won't be about the HK accuracy. Those things are GREAT in that respect. I took my current 91 out with a couple of friends last year (mine doesn't get much range time any more) and we were shooting at some larger backpack sized rocks around the 800 yard line. Once you figured out where to hold to get the round that far, the rifle wouldn't disappoint!

· Registered
1,475 Posts
I have a daniel defense qd swivel mount on the xcr. it's practically identical to the mi one you have. I may have to get another one and do a different sling setup on the ptr...

what's a good shooting sling? any recommendations?

· Registered
4,535 Posts
On slings, there's the one I recommend whole-heartedly.

I started using this thing about 10 years ago, before the USMC and the Army found out about them. Now they're issue to the snipers in both branches.

Look up Tactical Intervention. They ARE that good.

FWIW, I've got another incoming - like my fourth. For precision shooting, that I've got my hands on, there's nothing better. And yes, that includes the Turners.

· Registered
4,535 Posts
I've used the quick cuff model 2 (no sling swivels) myself. My son uses the model 1, 'cause he needs the QD sling swivels - although technically, Mike said that his is the first M24 sling that he's done for a kid (GRIN).

The big difference is whether you need sling swivels or not. If you're going to attach it to a rifle and leave it (like I do on the M14 / M25) then go with the model 2. If you need the QD slings (like for a hunting rig or for me the XCR) then go with the model 1 or the M24.

This last one that's coming in is a USMC contract, for me - it's gonna be on the XCR ;D Even found the ideal rear sling attachment! It replaces the rear sling loop on the M16 series stocks, replacing it with a QD sling swivel. For a rifle, there's no point in doing that - but for a carbine like the XCR? In a noo-yawk minute!

Oh, and don't let the pics of the sling swivels fool you - Mike uses nothing but the best when it comes to materials and that includes sling swivels. The swivels would best be described as "super heavy-duty" on the M24 sling. He's also got this thing about "made in the USA" - imagine that! The sling swivels that came on my son's sling are things you could pull a Chevy out of the mud with. Literally, the only thing I've seen any tougher are the Wichita sling swivels on my M25 - and that's debatable 8)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.