XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted that I was getting a M96 Expedition and I' m finally following up with a range report. On one of the few decent weather days I took the 96 and a few hundred rnds of PPU to the range with a buddy. I was super impressed with the accuracy, and was even more impressed with the low recoil. 100 rnds for breakin and then just regular fun. Terra, I asked you about them being a little front heavy but once you start shooting you don't even notice it, so you were right. My buddy who is a great AR Stag fan had his rifle with him, he had bought Wolf .223 and wanted to try it. after spraying about a half ounce of lube on the bolt and the internals he was ready to go, the rifle just wouln't run on the Wolf. He asked me to try the ammo in the X96 to see if it was a bad batch, that M96 gobbled it up like candy. Then he finally wanted to try it, after the first 10 shots he just looked over and went WOW this thing is amazing.
The rifle was new in the box, came with two different rear sights, rail attachment and a bag of every spare part you might need, so the $1200 I paid I feel was a deal and I couldn't be happier.
AND to make me even happier my dealer just called and said my XCR has just been shipped, now to decide which one to scope and which one for a red dot. Even though I did buy a new stock already for the XCR.
I never felt the need to call and bother the working women at Robinson, I knew I just had to wait.
Funny thing was the gun didn't really need cleaning after all that shooting, my buddy couldn't believe it since his looked like a slugde pit ;D ;D Thanks for bearing with me, I just needed to tell how pleased I am.. Bill

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Welcome to the family. You will have lots of fun! I have done the opposite of you, I bought an XCR 6.8 and hope to someday get an M96.
Congratulations,

SheepDog :2rifle:

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
The M96 will indeed shoot wolf - but keep in mind it's a little tougher on the bolt parts. The extractor is nowhere near as hefty as one on an AK or the XCR. So keep the use to a healthy minimum. :)

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Dang brother,you stole that M96! Glad to hear your happy with your rifle,and maybe that you have a convert to share with us your new XCR experience as well.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The M96 will indeed shoot wolf - but keep in mind it's a little tougher on the bolt parts. The extractor is nowhere near as hefty as one on an AK or the XCR. So keep the use to a healthy minimum. :)
Good info on the extractor. Will it be beefed up if you guys do another run of M96's?

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
We'd have to redesign the whole bolt to accommodate that. The M96 bolt uses an AR extractor type, and the bolt itself is similar as well - you'll notice it has lugs as well.

don't get me wrong - it will shoot the Wolf fine... and I haven't had any calls of people with broken extractors so far... but to maximize the life of the rifle, use better stuff. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Terra, are you saying not to use wolf because of the steel case or is there another reason ?

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
the lacquered type. it's just tougher for the rifle to extract and eject. I wasn't even aware it made a difference until alex mentioned it the other day.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Laquere melts in the chamber and can get in the bolt, as I understand it the new Poly process doesn't. :2cents:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I really have to question the reports of the older lacquer case Wolff fouling chambers. Had a buddy that was fond of running Betas of the lacquer Wolff thru his 16's non stop. That's about all he ever shot. He never had any issues with it at all.
The 96 uses the same extractor as an AR15/M16. Good to have a spare or two, along with a pin and spring but I do not remember him having extractor problems either.
I broke one once in a 96 but it was my error having the gas set too high shooting some hot heavy bullet reloads.
Pete

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had the lacquer-coated stuff jam my HK91, which I'd always thought was darned near un-jammable. After I got the bolt open and started poking around inside I found the rollers, locking ramps and chamber grooves all caked with the stuff. Took an entire can of carb cleaner to get it out.

Nasty stuff.

ObM96 I took my shiny new M96 carbine (thanks clickclickclick!) out to the range this weekend and really loved it. Except for the aforementioned HK91 I generally don't shoot well with iron sights, but the M96 did quite well, about 2 1/2"@100, in dim light, with (as I discovered later) a loose rear sight. I'm curious to see how it will do next time now that I've snugged it up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have to agree you got a great deal on that. Congrats!

Not to change the subject but Terra, are there any plans to resume production of the M96? I've always liked that rifle.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
They are working on getting a special run together. However, I do not have an ETA, and we are not ready to take any pre-orders.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Had to jump in here too.... I was at the range when SLC Swat was out playing with their AR's. One of the guys came over and was looking at my M96. He liked it, but thought it was overpriced for a gun that was "no better than my AR." I tried to convince him that my rifle was way faster on the follow up shot due to the much lower recoil but he didn't think his AR kicked any harder. Well, not one to back down from a challenge, I put my M96 up to my forehead and put a few rounds down range. Not wanting to look like a coward, he did the same with his AR. After dancing around and rubbing the big bruise on his forehead, he had to admit that my rifle was the king. I win! Hail to the king baby....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Terra,
Any update on the possible new production run? I have put off buying anything hoping to scoop one up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts