XCR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is what I've worked on and finished late last April; an extended Picatinny rail for my first gun and love, the DP-12 shotgun. The rail is 20" long and .75" high, made out of 6061 T6 aluminum (the factory rail is 13.75" long and .5" high). I designed it on Autodesk Fusion 360 and milled it out on a 3-axis Hurco CNC machine after class at my school. I needed this thing because I wanted better eye relief (both in length and in height) for the Vortex 3x magnifier working in tandem with the UH-1 holosight for when I want to shoot slugs on the range. It was absolutely worth the trouble to make this thing and I feel comfortable using it even with the irons for shooting clays. I'm getting it anodized and I'll have it screwed down with loctite when I get it back, so time will tell how tight it holds down and how precise it stays for the red dot.

I'll keep adding things to this thread as I get more projects done. I'd like to see what other things people have worked on too!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Nice.....now make us some folding charging handles.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
What, they're not being made anymore? I'll consider it in that case, but my mind share is focused on other things, not the least of which is a 3D printed lower for the XCR that accepts AR-15 triggers.
They are not, the guy who did the first run has talked about a 2nd run, but he's got a lot of irons in the fire and that this is essentially a passion project and might make him a couple bucks at best......

That lower would be neat, been wondering why Alex didn't go that route initially since I got my first one.

Reactions: Chowwow

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
been wondering why Alex didn't go that route initially since I got my first one.
It looks like he did that to make the XCR lower profile: lots of piston guns are taller than a DI AR-15 because of the additional height the piston imposes. It was worth it for that but now AR-15 triggers are too high for it and now there is more felt weight on the forward end of the rifle from the metal monolithic upper. Oh well.

Finally done. Last couple weeks ago I had my rail type 2 anodized and remounted it on my DP-12 with loctite. It's not hard coat but works fine for a prototype. Looks real nice to me and the better eye relief with a magnifier makes it all worth it. The back end makes flip up sights a little too close though. I covered the aluminum receiver with a vinyl sheet to protect the metal better and give better cheek weld. The receiver never got really hot from shooting and I don't think it'll be enough to melt the vinyl, but we'll see how the liner holds up over time.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts