XCR Forum banner

Mag releases when bolt rides home

5K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  navalbeaver 
#1 ·
Hi, I final took out my safe queen early 800 serial out. The problem I was having was every time bolt went home the magazine released. I was using cheap usgi mags from my ar. Any ideas?l

#4 ·
At 800 SN you shouldn't have ambi on a L...are you the original owner? If not, someone swapped one in. My guess is they installed it incorrectly (not wound in far enough) or....perhaps they have the wrong part (square vs. round lug for the release on the left side of the gun). Just guessing though without pics.

Reactions: Merlin
#7 ·
Ya, I have them in my 3K SN lowers....but like you said that didn't come about until a looong time after 800.

#9 ·
Sorry for the long delay. Divorce and work has chewed up my time. I posted the pics of the rifle. I am original owner and I put the release in cause I am lefty. Now it seems mag caught doesn't go far enough into mag (see mag inserted pic). Any thing I missed let me know.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Can you tighten the mag arm any more? Push the button as far into the receiver as you can with a pen/pencil etc, give the arm a turn or two.

ETA: Sorry, I said the same thing awhile back. Pic looks like the catch should be engaging. With the mag release button removed, how far into the well will the mag catch go?

ETA, A: I checked one of my XCRs, the mag catch looks like it's a little deeper than yours is. The third "step" on my mag catch is flush with the inside of the mag well.

#21 ·
My Rusty xcr also has this same issue. Felt like the mag locked in but wouldn't strip rounds after 4 or 5 shots. Not sure how the mag stayed in that long. Mag arm is as tight as it'll go. Judging by the other xcr I had with me it looks like the arm is out of spec. I haven't had a chance to pull it and measure. SN is very low 11k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.