XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some research on magazines and am trying to find a solution for loading them. I don't like the idea of constantly having sore thumbs from pushing rounds into the magazine.

From what I have found there are two basic methods. There are stripper clips and magazine loaders of various types. I would like input on what you use and why you like your chosen method.

Is it easier to load 10, 20 or 30 round magazines and do 10 round stripper clips load 20 and 30 rounders? Is there an advantage to the 10 or 20 rounders over the 30 rounder other than physical size and capacity.

Do you load up your magazines and store ammo in them or do you load them just before you go to the range? I have read that some here have 75+ magazines. Do most of them sit empty as spares or do you load them up ready for when the SHTF?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Go look at Maglula and their products.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Personally I load with my fingers but I have been eying the bench lula. Just don't know if I can justify the coin.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Me too. Nice but expensive. The Strip lula is almost as fast.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Me too. Nice but expensive. The Strip lula is almost as fast.
If that's the lula for stripper clips, that thing is sweet!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Does anyone know if the Maglula will work with 30 rd Pmags?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hello Curly,
I personally don't think that you can go wrong with either of the loaders. The Magula and the regular Lula. I have both and like one about as well as the other. The real drawback with loaders is...if you don't have one, your thumbs hurt like the dickens! lol. I don't think that you can go wrong with either of them. Just search the web and get the best price that you can find and get one. Happy Shooting!
Kind regards, SINKER

I have been doing some research on magazines and am trying to find a solution for loading them. I don't like the idea of constantly having sore thumbs from pushing rounds into the magazine.

From what I have found there are two basic methods. There are stripper clips and magazine loaders of various types. I would like input on what you use and why you like your chosen method.

Is it easier to load 10, 20 or 30 round magazines and do 10 round stripper clips load 20 and 30 rounders? Is there an advantage to the 10 or 20 rounders over the 30 rounder other than physical size and capacity.

Do you load up your magazines and store ammo in them or do you load them just before you go to the range? I have read that some here have 75+ magazines. Do most of them sit empty as spares or do you load them up ready for when the SHTF?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I forgot to put my .10 worth in on the capacities of the various magazines, but I have NO PROBLEMS with either 10's or 30's, 5.56's or 7.62X39's. Assuming that both of them will load 10's and 30's, I don't see a problem....now, shure as heck, someone will dig one up!~
Sinker

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have never heard of the http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=16196&TabID=548 Cammenga EasyLoader, until this pm. Now, I need to see how easy "they" are to load and the cheapest price on the net. I used my Aussi search engine and got a bunch of hits.

Has anybody used the Cammenga EasyLoader? -30 is a lot easier to justify. Looks like it will load up to 20 loose rounds at a shot.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Has anybody used the Cammenga EasyLoader? -30 is a lot easier to justify. Looks like it will load up to 20 loose rounds at a shot.
I've got one in .308 and it's crap. the Maglula is better and almost as fast. Plus the Maglula lets me unload mags fast too.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That's good to know. I need to spend my money on other things anyway.

quote author=MickeyC link=topic=2338.msg33648#msg33648 date=1233192961]
I've got one in .308 and it's crap. the Maglula is better and almost as fast. Plus the Maglula lets me unload mags fast too.
[/quote]

·
Registered
236 Posts
maglula is the cats ass.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Maglula does PMAGs just fine.

G

·
ok my :2cents:

1-mags are not disposable. you should keep them and retain them during reloads. practice this, forget the IPSC drop your mags crap. if you drop you mags during a fight you wont have any mags to reload when you run out.

2- only load what you need. there is no heavenly reason to load every magazine you have with ammo. that makes almost no sense to me. what if you want to change ammo types? how were you going to reload thos mags when they are empty?

3- carry additional ammo on stripper clips, and use the GI loading spoon. it's a really effective system to reload you mags and you dont need some loola to do it. put the spoon on the mag then insert the stripper then push the rounds down into the mag... repeat 2 more times. voila!! loaded mag.

people seem to get so darned hung up on looking like am iraq blackwater contractor that they fail to realize that they dont need 26 magazines on a vest.

For civilians and SHTF situations you only need enough mags to prosecute your mission and maybe disengage from an ambush. I would think that 3-4 mags would be more than sufficient to do this.

if you think you need more ammo, then fine... carry it on strippers. they are much more compact and easy to stick in some random pocket or bag. put a couple of load spoons on your gear and go about your business.

The biggest mistake people make in setting up their SHTF gear (IMHO) is having to many mags or too much ammo. you will shoot more in an average range session than is expended in the average firefight i'll wager. so why carry more than what you'd shoot at the range?

I shoot plenty, and I've never really seen the need for another piece of kit to load mags, that wont be there when I need it. I try to train like I'll have to fight. More training = Less gear.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Jack-o, I couldn't agree more. Too many people taking without knowing what they are talking about and not realizing how dumb they come accross.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I keep one 30 round mag loaded at all times, the rest of my mags stay unloaded except when i'm shooting at the range.

I have a good portion of my ammo in battlepacks for grab and go. I've always worried that keeping all my mags loaded all the time would cause unnecessary wear on the feed lips and springs, but maybe i'm being too cautious with them :dontknow:.

Regardless of whether a maglula is an unnecessary extra piece of kit for SHTF, it is one of the best things you'll ever purchase for the range. It's quick, easy, and saves you some sore fingers.

:2cents:

G

·
I do keep mags loaded and ready to be sure, but usually 4-6 of them will do the trick

I beleive that the research on mag wear says that the constant loading and unloading of mags is much more damaging to the spring tension than just keeping them loaded and the spring taking a set.

to be safe every year or two I'll swap out the ready mags tho.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts