XCR Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
All of them were great...but that last one is epic. Love Friedman.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I actually found number 11 disturbingly prescient, since the same mentality that lead to drug prohibition is now leading us down the path toward "mandatory health" programs.

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
I actually found number 11 disturbingly prescient, since the same mentality that lead to drug prohibition is now leading us down the path toward "mandatory health" programs.
It makes perfect sense to a leftist though. If the state owns your body, and universal health care means we all have to pay for your choices; then we all have a say in your personal choices and they are no longer your own since they will affect all of us monetarily.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
It makes sense to a right-ist, too. The drug prohibition is the right-authoritarian conclusion and the food controls are the left-authoritarian conclusion. It basically just boils down to people wanting to control other people's choices. It makes little difference which of those choices they are trying to control--sooner or later they want to control _all_ your choices.

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
It makes sense to a right-ist, too. The drug prohibition is the right-authoritarian conclusion and the food controls are the left-authoritarian conclusion. It basically just boils down to people wanting to control other people's choices. It makes little difference which of those choices they are trying to control--sooner or later they want to control _all_ your choices.
Good point....the right is more likely to support the failed WoDs anyway....thinking pandemonium will result if they are legalized.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am not afraid of an army of Lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a Lion.

-- Alexander the Great

Reactions: Sean K.

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
[N]othing in the Constitution has given [the judiciary] a right to decide for the Executive, more than to the executive to decide for them. Both magistracies are equally independent in the sphere of action assigned to them… the opinion which gives to the judges the right to decide what laws are constitutional, and what are not, not only for themselves in their own sphere of action, but for the Legislature & Executive also, in their spheres, would make the judiciary a despotic branch.“- Thomas Jefferson

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/undeniable-quotes-the-founding-fathers-warn-about-scotus/

Reactions: RobertSlaughter

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
Good one found at Warrior Poet Society:

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
- Thucydides

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I'm substitute teaching at my kids' school next week, and one of the things I need to do at this school is come up with a quote for the kids to discuss at the beginning of each class period. I'm totally going to use that Thucydides quote. Thanks, Sean. :)

Apparently yesterday my daughter's history teacher used a quote from a book I gave him.

I'm fairly happy with our school.

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
I'm substitute teaching at my kids' school next week, and one of the things I need to do at this school is come up with a quote for the kids to discuss at the beginning of each class period. I'm totally going to use that Thucydides quote. Thanks, Sean. :)

Apparently yesterday my daughter's history teacher used a quote from a book I gave him.

I'm fairly happy with our school.
So happy to hear that.....sad that so many parents in this country don't feel the same way.

And glad I could help, even if by accident.

BTW, thanks for the movie recommendation on Mr. Jones. The reviews were bad, but I thought it was pretty good.

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me.” -Al Capone

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
Another ancient quote: "In anger we should refrain from both speech and action"-Pythagoras

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”-H.L. Mencken

Reactions: TexasChris

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
Frederick Douglass Declares There Is "No Progress Without Struggle"
Frederick Douglass was an escaped slave, a leader of the anti-slavery movement in the North, editor of the abolitionist newspaper The North Star and, after the Civil War, a diplomat for the U.S. government. This excerpt is from an address on West India Emancipation, delivered August 4, 1857.

Let me give you a word of the philosophy of reforms. The whole history of the progress of human liberty shows that all concessions yet made to her august claims have been born of earnest struggle. . .

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the roar of its mighty waters.

The struggle may be a moral one or it may be a physical one, or it may both moral and physical, but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has and it never will. Find out just what a people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

In the light of these ideas, ******* will be hunted in the North, and held and flogged at in the South so long as they submit to those devilish outrages, and make no resistance, either moral or physical.

Men may not get all they pay for in this world, but they must certainly pay for all they get. If we ever get free from the oppression and wrongs heaped upon us, we must pay for their removal. We must do this by labor, by suffering, by sacrifice, and, if needs be, by our lives and the lives of others.

EDIT What in the literal fuck??...the word "Ne groes" is edited out automatically by the forum software. How fucking stupid.

·
Registered
22,522 Posts
Haven't researched the author.....but love this:

"Loving your neighbour is not just loving those that agree with you, or look like you, or move in the same way that you do. It's loving those that don't."

Edit: Jonathan Issac. I dont' follow basketball at all....but here is what he said that was very articulate to why he's not getting the vaccine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Haven't researched the author.....but love this:

"Loving your neighbour is not just loving those that agree with you, or look like you, or move in the same way that you do. It's loving those that don't."

Edit: Jonathan Issac. I dont' follow basketball at all....but here is what he said that was very articulate to why he's not getting the vaccine.

Great message in his answer that you summed up in the quote.

I understand he’s a “celebrity“ and is attempting to walk the tightrope with the media and the woke in his answer, but frankly, I think he went too far in explaining why he is a “no”…bottom line is that it’s nobody’s damn business! They’d have to cut the feed, like with ole Joey Batbrain, if they were interviewing me asking those questions! :ROFLMAO:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts